CWD makes jump to primates?

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

Yep, this disease is about to make things go South if something doesn’t change.
TWRA and other state agencies really need to ramp up education on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mike243

No begins to it,been headed this way for a long time,will be here in less than 5 years,already touching our state I'm pretty sure ,when the first confirmed case hits my meat hunting will be over,horns only after that

WTM

WTM

Supporter
yeah i posted this on the serious deer hunting forum in response to feeding and baiting along with the link to the idiot state rep that wanted to amend TWRA’s carcass importation ban to make it legal to benefit a couple of taxidermists in east tennessee.

as far as buck only hunting, i also stated the containment plan that most states are enacting because of the success illinois is having. that basically boils down to this, if CWD is found in 1 deer, they will consider it a hot zone and kill every deer within that hot zone to see how far the disease has spread. the TWRA has stated this is the route they will take if CWD shows up here. scary stuff.

S

Smo

I talk with Guys on another Forum who hunt Mn.

They have certain areas there that have CWD.

The way I understand it if it’s found in your County then it and all bordering Counties area under special regulations ....

Basically kill em out.

M

mike243

Killing all the deer doesn't fix the problem,the prions get into the dirt/food chain and when new uninfected deer eat the cycle starts again,also what form of it is already here cbu93 ?

M

MickThompson

CWD has not been found in TN. He may be thinking of EHD.

There’s some research in the early stages looking to see if preacribed fire can be used to destroy environmental prions. Stay tuned.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
MickThompson":2ghvqhdm said:
There’s some research in the early stages looking to see if preacribed fire can be used to destroy environmental prions. Stay tuned.

I like that idea much more than the needless and worthless killing of all the deer.

CBU93

CBU93

Supporter
Crutchfield Jacobs or more commonly known as mad cow disease is the variant I am speaking of that presents in humans.

CWD is in Arkansas.

ADR

ADR

MickThompson":ctn6yp93 said:
There’s some research in the early stages looking to see if preacribed fire can be used to destroy environmental prions.

It would be unlikely that the temperature of the fire would be successful IMO. If an autoclave won’t kill it (which i was taught that it wouldn’t) i doubt fire would with it residing in the soil. Hopefully though the fire will change the soil conditions making the prion break down quicker.

I quit putting out salt because one research paper (maybe out of Michigan) showed where prions actually lasted longer in high salinity environments. If i recall correctly, even up to ten years.

Very serious problem with no clear answers and very difficult to research. My $0.02

M

MickThompson

ADR":wi9s40t5 said:
MickThompson":wi9s40t5 said:
There’s some research in the early stages looking to see if preacribed fire can be used to destroy environmental prions.

It would be unlikely that the temperature of the fire would be successful IMO. If an autoclave won’t kill it (which i was taught that it wouldn’t) i doubt fire would with it residing in the soil. Hopefully though the fire will change the soil conditions making the prion break down quicker.

I quit putting out salt because one research paper (maybe out of Michigan) showed where prions actually lasted longer in high salinity environments. If i recall correctly, even up to ten years.

Very serious problem with no clear answers and very difficult to research. My $0.02

I agree, fire seems like a Hail Mary, but the temps on the surface of the fuels where the prions (would be located) could be hot enough to consume the prions.

This is why TWRA is so hellbent on prevention- because there are no clear cut solutions once it’s loose in the herd.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
mike243":3qpaaaso said:
Killing all the deer doesn't fix the problem,the prions get into the dirt/food chain and when new uninfected deer eat the cycle starts again,also what form of it is already here cbu93 ?

its unknown about how it is transmitted but they do know that it is present in saliva, urine and body fluids. as far as eradication not having an effect, is not true. illinois has a reduced rate of nee infections. wisconsin had taken this approach but was shutdown by hunters and politicians. one thing for sure, if it gets here it will cost billions to control. illinois doesnt waste the deer, if they are found negative then they are processed and distributed to food pantries.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/programs/C ... iction.pdf

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/programs/C ... AQCWD.aspx

S

Smo

From what I’ve read there no know way of killing off the prions .

As stated it gets in the soil / grass and stays there.

Apparently started out West and spread from there.

I don’t understand how killing them all is the answer, it will slow the spread of the disease...maybe but there’s nothing I know of at this time that will kill the disease . Sad ...

WTM

WTM

Supporter
Smo":3alvzty1 said:
From what I’ve read there no know way of killing off the prions .

As stated it gets in the soil / grass and stays there.

Apparently started out West and spread from there.

I don’t understand how killing them all is the answer, it will slow the spread of the disease...maybe but there’s nothing I know of at this time that will kill the disease . Sad ...

lol, they dont kill every deer but significantly reduce the population in the hot zones to keep it from spreading outside the hot zones. deer density supposedly has a direct relation to infection rates.

Buzzard Breath

Buzzard Breath

MUP":202doi6v said:
So, if properly cooked, the meat is ok then, correct?
No, the prions are heat resistant.

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets ... isease.pdf

"They are also resistant to heat,
ultraviolet radiation, microwave irradiation and ionizing
radiation, particularly when they are protected in organic
material or preserved with aldehyde fixatives, or when the
prion titer is high. "