CWD Culling Effort

Andy S.

I spoke with MDC rep to confirm culling operations after I came across this note on a MDC page. She said culling efforts were happening on nearby private land as well as this MDC CA.

fairchaser

The research I've seen shows that general culling is not effective unless it's focused on high risk animals. This is because the disease is not necessarily density dependent. If it's frequency dependent, lowering density doesn't lower the rate it only lowers the number of total animals. The rate of infection remains constant.

Boll Weevil

fairchaser":xfk7tg1w said:
If it's frequency dependent, lowering density doesn't lower the rate it only lowers the number of total animals
Exactly. 0+0 = 0. If you have no deer, you have no CWD infected deer...easy peasy.

Of course you still have prions in the dirt...there's that. ;)

megalomaniac

At least after all the deer are dead they can focus on turkey restoration.

Will each executed deer get tested for CWD?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I can't imagine each deer not being tested. If they're going to test hunter killed deer during the season it stands to reason that they'd test the animals killed during a regulated event like a culling operation.

Andy S.

This sentence speaks volumes:

"These new findings bring the total number of CWD cases in the state to 162. MDC has tested more than 137,000 deer since the first cases of CWD were found in free-ranging deer in Missouri in 2012."

MDC seems to be pro-active and very aggressive in their testing for no more positives than they have had over the last eight years, which is a good thing.