Smokeless CVA 35 Scout question....

Smokeless

LBAhunter

After my Hunter 35 conversion got stole. I finally found a blk/blue Scout in stock, it was a 45-70. So I did a Scout 45-70 conversion to hold me over. I used Hank's ASG replacement DI plug. I want do a blk/blue Scout 35 with the same plug. I looked up the saami drawing for 35 Whelen. By my math, it will have a long powder chamber. The plug length is 1.905. I thinking it will be ok for the powders I wanting to use. (4198 and slower). I thinking the smaller bore in conjunction the size of the breech plug that the powder chamber should be ok. Anybody got any thoughts on it?

Last edited:

mike243

there are a few here that have the know how and might be along in a day or 2, better to look up 1 of the smokeless sites for some quicker responses

Rancocas

hmm. You aren't getting many answers.
I, for one, don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.
I've been a traditional muzzleloader since the 1980's. Caplock or flintlock. Real black powder and patched lead round balls. That stuff I know something about.

jlanecr500

The last one I built, I shortened an ASG LRMP plug and made a direct ignition plug the same dimensions. By doing that, with the plug installed and 55gr of Varget, the bullet base sat just forward of the rifling start. You can make a powder chamber to keep the powder column short and use the full length ASG plug. Just be sure you cut a taper from the chamber to the bore to eliminate flow restrictions. This can be done with a 1/2" shank diameter center drill. The most important item is Do not allow the bullet base to go past the end of the rifling at the powder chamber when seated.

LBAhunter

Thanks. I was wondering if the powder column would be to long if I didn't do a powder chamber. I was thinking of doing a mock up of a powder chamber. My plug holds around 17 - 18 grains. I may get some measurements off the short DI plug to see how much case length it takes up and how many grains it holds.

Latest posts