Customized Rifle

CBU93

So I'm sitting here in the garage as an insurance adjuster write up an estimate on my roof. The thought hit me that I have a savage model 110 in .30-06 that I would like to get back into hunting condition. I would like for someone Like Tim in Tennessee to walk me through the process I would need to do to somewhat customize this rifle .

I'm thinking new stock, re-barrel, aftermarket trigger, new mounts and rings, scopes, etc. I don't want to rechamber. I just want to Totally refresh of the basic rifle. What would be involved ?

It was my dad's rifle that he bought as a savage package back in early 90s. I've got nothing but time and a little bit of play money to use. Not necessarily in a hurry .

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
It's impossible to answer if you don't supply any information what you desire from the outcome.

What accuracy level? Light weight, mid weight, etc.? Factory stock ok or do you want an aftermarket? Closed or open grip?

You could go a million directions. First decide what you want or like and then a process suggestion could be made.

TiminTN

Thats not too tall an order, Bugholes, or Southern Precision sells barrels, made to fit under the nut on a Savage, if its a 110 it needs the 1.055" diameter or if a large 112 it takes the 1.118". Chamber selection is a topic as a reamer is needed for that. Triggers are made for the earlier action like was your Dads, that have the flat style rear bridge and accutriggers won`t fit, but thats a good thing. Many aftermarket options out there.

dbierman

If it was your dads just clean it up and leave it as is. You make all those changes and you've taken away the "dads rifle" uniqueness.

Coldfusion

dbierman":1vf7yyee said:
If it was your dads just clean it up and leave it as is. You make all those changes and you've taken away the "dads rifle" uniqueness.
I agree with this personally. I like sentimental guns as is. You can also make some small changes that improve the gun without changing it much such as replacing the trigger spring to improve the trigger without actually replacing it. I can see changing the mounts and scope if it doesn't meet your needs. Most people now adays are liking DNZ mounts. If you have the money seekin precision is nice too. Scope wise I like vortex for the money. If you have play money swarovski and zeiss are top of the line. But one thing I always have to reel myself in on is the "why" factor. Unless your talking long range, most hunting rifles are fine. I hate to break it to people with high dollar rigs but most $200 rifle rigs kill deer just as good as $2000 rigs in the under 200 yard range. Like mentioned above decide what you want your rifle to do. I had an old hunter tell me not long ago to buy a $200 rifle then put a $400 Scope on top. Expensive doesn't always mean better. Companies will always market themselves to make more money.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CBU93

This may or may not make sense, so bear with me.

I know the history of the rifle and the characteristics of my dad. This is not in anyway a sentimental gun. My dad, in his younger years, was every bit the shooter and rifleman as many on here. He would in fact be more excited about the possibilities of what could be done than stuck on sentiment.

Now, if We were talking about the Marlin 39A Gold Trigger, then no way there would be any possibility of changing anything.

As for the .30-06, I am looking for a mid-weight small field/woods gun. Capable of 300 yard shots but not the primary requirement. Hope that clarifies a little bit.

Deer Assassin

blake

you wont like my answer .... get a rem 700 action

seriously

1. do what ever tim says

2. id get a good barrel good trigger great glass good stock and let it eat

3. id turn it in to a 280 AI but thats back to what i like

jlanecr500

TiminTN":lewu5efy said:
I had forgotten about Criterion barrels. They offer pre-threaded and chambered barrels for Savage. They shoot very well too! Once owned by Krieger.

http://criterionbarrels.com/savage-remage-prefit

I have a few Criterion barrels on my Savages. They all are shooters. For a hunting rifle, I advise using the heavy sportier contour. The light varmint is a little heavier. Be sure to buy a precision recoil lug and barrel nut from them too.
Criterion is the button rifled side of Krieger that has since split off.

I typically build my sml's on Krieger, Brux cut rifled barrels but as of late Rock Creek barrels have stolen my #1 on the list. They are the straightest, most concentric barrels ive ever seen.

A slightly cheaper barrel , that I have had very good luck with is EABCO Savage accuracy barrels. They ate chromoly and have a high quality epoxy coating on them.
A Timney trigger set to 2 pounds is a great hunting trigger.

You can spend a little or a lot on a stock.

CBU93

As i have read and researched more on the issue, it looks like the tools needed to do the job of a re-barrel may get into a little bit. To be honest, I kinda liked the idea of Ruger had, but don't want to ask too much of TiminTN...(i know he would enjoy the "minor" project though).

Thanks for the input guys...keep it coming as long as you like.

lungpuncher1

I have used some of the big named barrel companies but for 200$ you can get an er Shaw barrel, barrel nut wrench, go and no go gauges. I built a 7mm08 once off a savage action and it was a track driver.

I even have an action wrench id ship you to use it you promise to ship it back when you get done.

Midway has the er Shaw barrel kits. They're around $200 I'm pretty sure.

There are tons of savage rebarreling videos on YouTube. It's literally a 10 minute job if you have to above mentioned tools and a vice.

If you need my action wrench let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CBU93

lungpuncher1":3jwdhkcc said:
I have used some of the big named barrel companies but for 200$ you can get an er Shaw barrel, barrel nut wrench, go and no go gauges. I built a 7mm08 once off a savage action and it was a track driver.

I even have an action wrench id ship you to use it you promise to ship it back when you get done.

Midway has the er Shaw barrel kits. They're around $200 I'm pretty sure.

There are tons of savage rebarreling videos on YouTube. It's literally a 10 minute job if you have to above mentioned tools and a vice.

If you need my action wrench let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is a great offer LP...Thank you! Still thinking it out.

CBU93

Since this is my first and likely last foray into this, I am leaning toward a shaw barrel, chrome Molly matte finished factory barrel, fluted, and have them install on the action. Then dropping it in a bell and Carlson stock,black with gray spider webbing or gray with black spider webbing. Trigger upgrade and optics in due course...

Feedback?

Latest posts