Current Quota Hunt Priority Point Status for those curious

Andy S.

Re: Current Quota Hunt Priority Point Status for those curio

Good info, thanks for sharing.

docpoco":3kez4qgp said:
They did tell me that hunters drawn this year had between 10-12 points.
I suspect this was for the December rut hunt, correct?

I "think" there were some drawn for the October PI buck hunt that had less than 10, but I could be mistaken.

TN Larry

Thanks for sharing! We sit at 11 points. The last couple of years we have put in with my son to make sure we don't get drawn for the PI Dec buck hunt. We may hold out another couple of years just to see if it changes to the better. I would like to see a few years without flooding and good soybean plantings before going back.

Bone Collector

Every time i see this thread I cringe a little. It just serves as a painful reminder that I didn't understand the system, and didn't do the research to learn and understand I would have never been drawn. I lost 2 pts because of that and now sit at 7.

685 people firmly ahead of me and 301 more in my group..... :bash: :bash:

Buzzard Breath

PickettSFHunter":9mt3q5hb said:
I cannot believe a hunt with an insanely low success rate is so hard to draw. It is what it is I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm right there with you.

AT Hiker

Buzzard Breath":2rc4i2ux said:
PickettSFHunter":2rc4i2ux said:
I cannot believe a hunt with an insanely low success rate is so hard to draw. It is what it is I guess.

I'm right there with you.

I tried to up the success rate. I almost made it 1%[emoji23]

rstodd

Andy S.":37pt7wju said:
Good info, thanks for sharing.

docpoco":37pt7wju said:
They did tell me that hunters drawn this year had between 10-12 points.
I suspect this was for the December rut hunt, correct?

I "think" there were some drawn for the October PI buck hunt that had less than 10, but I could be mistaken.
I'd like to know how many points it took to get drawn for the October buck hunt. I'm sitting at 3 points, so it probably would take me close 20 years to draw for the Dec hunt. I got drawn for the old doe hunt in October twice. I struck out both times. Mosquitos about hauled me away the second year I went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bowhunterfanatic

My group is sitting at 9 points. I'm hoping that in the 4-5 more years I'm assuming it takes me to draw that the island will recover a little bit more. Does anyone happen to recall the success rates back in the early to mid 2000s when the island seemed to peak?

AT Hiker

bowhunterfanatic":1u3hp8ip said:
My group is sitting at 9 points. I'm hoping that in the 4-5 more years I'm assuming it takes me to draw that the island will recover a little bit more. Does anyone happen to recall the success rates back in the early to mid 2000s when the island seemed to peak?

15% ish

Rockhound

PickettSFHunter":4t9uicuf said:

Because the odds of killing a world class deer, are probably greater than any other hunt in the southeast

fairchaser

TN Larry":33m99fnk said:
Thanks for sharing! We sit at 11 points. The last couple of years we have put in with my son to make sure we don't get drawn for the PI Dec buck hunt. We may hold out another couple of years just to see if it changes to the better. I would like to see a few years without flooding and good soybean plantings before going back.

I wish I had saved my points and put in on another year that was more promising. I didn't know that Ensley had 4 ft of water in it earlier this year. At 63, my chances are slim of getting drawn before I see Jesus. I will start putting my grandsons in who are 4 and 2.

BULL MOOSE

Rockhound":6xpi60w4 said:
PickettSFHunter":6xpi60w4 said:

Because the odds of killing a world class deer, are probably greater than any other hunt in the southeast

PI has been hunted for along time now! How many Boone and Crockett gross scoping deer have been taken? 10 years sitting out other areas so you can drive by a burned out stolen vehicle near the entrance and see other hunters all around you? I just don't understand the fascination with the place.

However, I enjoy the stories.

BULL MOOSE

fairchaser":3jyyekkd said:
TN Larry":3jyyekkd said:

I wish I had saved my points and put in on another year that was more promising. I didn't know that Ensley had 4 ft of water in it earlier this year. At 63, my chances are slim of getting drawn before I see Jesus. I will start putting my grandsons in who are 4 and 2.

Have faith! Put you and your grandsons in for a dr hunt in another state and you can still hunt with them!

Spurhunter

TN Larry":1yl28awm said:

I also have 11 (amazing how fast it happens) and have been putting in with my son to wait for hopefully better days at PI. I would really like to hunt it with him but he only has 7 points and at age 48 in a month I can't wait that long.

Spurhunter

BULL MOOSE":3de33pf9 said:
I just don't understand the fascination with the place.

I worked on the island for 4 years in the late 90s. If you would've been around back then on high water days you would understand. The water would push the deer up near the road and it wasn't hard to drive around and see multiple 140+ class deer. Obviously, those days are gone but there is still excellent genetics, age class, and the deer aren't pressured. I hate hunting public land so I'm fine with waiting years to get drawn for this hunt.

AT Hiker

Rockhound":2bwq9tiw said:
PickettSFHunter":2bwq9tiw said:

Not anymore. The odds of killing any deer there this year have plummeted to less than 1%.
I also talked to about 1/2 the hunters and none of them seen a "giant", most actually commented that "hunting at home is better than here". A few even said LBL is better, thats telling because LBL has like 3 deer.

BULL MOOSE

From my observation, an archer has a better chance now at a Pope and Young deer at Cheatham than PI.

I love quota hunts. They create excitement and commitment.

I propose a return to more quota hunt drawings on WMA''s. Too many are just open for most of the entire season.

Possibly a compromise,.....Divide some larger WMA's into area a and area b. Let A run similar to now and B have quota draws.
Perhaps alternate the areas every few years.

There needs to be some draw hunts at some state parks. Do it during the off peak use time ... December and January. Now would be a great time to do it! Other states are doing it. We have taken our kids on an early Dec. youth only state park firearms hunt in KY for two years. We stay in the park hotel, eat their food, and have a nice hunt. No telling how much extra income is generated for the park during that off peak weekend.

Oh...and get rid of all these early Oct. firearms hunts! Why are they offering hunts in October and then basically none in November or December? There are plenty of hunters who do not have a lease or family farm that would love to hunt wmas in late November and December.

Rockhound

AT Hiker":39ov8kut said:
Rockhound":39ov8kut said:
PickettSFHunter":39ov8kut said:

Not anymore. The odds of killing any deer there this year have plummeted to less than 1%.
I also talked to about 1/2 the hunters and none of them seen a "giant", most actually commented that "hunting at home is better than here". A few even said LBL is better, thats telling because LBL has like 3 deer.

95% of applicants don't read tndeer either, they just go by what fred told them when he hunted it 8 years ago. There was a pic of a giant posted here

AT Hiker

Rockhound":2d0xidsd said:
95% of applicants don't read tndeer either, they just go by what fred told them when he hunted it 8 years ago. There was a pic of a giant posted here

Ah, I see. Yes, your 100% correct. Stories of the good ol days will always over shadow reality.

The optimism of certain TWRA employees down there helps with applications too. A casual conversation with them and you get the feeling it's still the same old place just a bit more difficult to hunt.