Curl bar wrist injuries??

pressfit

pressfit

As some of you know, I have been lifting weights this summer.. on my curls I was doing 10 sets of 10 with moderate weight.. I found out less sets with more weight would build muscle better.. so I start out light and add weight each set.. I don't know how much I'm curling buts it's all I can do to do a set of 5 when I get almost all my weights on the bar... well I don't know what I've done but now both of my wrist are damaged.. I can't hardly even do my curls now.. I bought some Velcro wrist support deals but can't wear them all the time.. now even menial task that I normally do I sometimes can't..like loading sticks of wood in the heater.. I'll pick up one and the pain strikes and I have to drop it and use both hands to pick it up...I'm like trying to take 2 steps ahead and going back 4 steps instead... lol.. maybe time will heal them!!

Kimber45

Kimber45

Proper form is everything in terms of heavy weight, and of course warmup is important too. If you’re using your wrist when you curl, not keeping them straight, you’ll suffer the consequences for sure. Been there, done that :)

ImThere

ImThere

I cannot do curls on a bar it hurts my wrist also. I end up pulling awkward on the bar. Like trying to pull my arms together. I only use dumb bells nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

duckduck84

Sounds like you're using too much weight and trying to roll the bar up with your wrists. Weight builds strength, repetitions with proper form builds muscle.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

pressfit

pressfit

CBU93":k0pdsdog said:
Are you using curl bar, straight bar, or dumbbell curls?
It's a modified straight bar, my arms are so stiff I couldn't really hold a straight bar so I welded to 1 inch pipes on it at probably 45 degree angles to make it like a curl bar..

WTM

WTM

Supporter
Poser":hcj4v451 said:
You're doing something wrong -either it's a form issue, too much volume or a combination of both.
10x10 rep schemes are for people who have been lifting for a long time and no longer getting stimulation from lesser volume. Volume wise, that's 100 reps on a very an accessory lift for a very small muscle group. For frame of reference, I'm an intermediate lifter and my worksets total around 50 reps total PER WEEK for squats, 50 reps per week for Presses and 45 reps per week of pulling from the floor. Without seeing an actually video of you doing the movement, I'd say your body is telling you that it's too much volume and complaining of overuse.

+1. like i said in my other posts, a 50 year old man cant do that high of volume and with heavier weight you are prone to muscle and tendon tears. you need more recovery time than a 25 or 30 year old.

even when i was at the advanced level in my 20’s and 30’s i never did that type of volume in a single session. mine were split out over 4 days per week. in a single session my sets never went over 4 to 5 whether it was an endurance session, strength session or power session.

you gonna have to rest those injuries and should be fine in a couple of weeks and you might even notice some gains. wearing a brace or wrap during lifts only makes those joints weaker.

NICHOLS3

NICHOLS3

Ive found out the older I get the less I can do without hurting, Ive worked out since my freshman year in college and I'm 50 now. I basically just use cables or if I do free weights I don't over do it or I will hurt something without a doubt and end up having to take weeks off. Getting old sucks but I still go 3 to 4 times a week to try and stay in shape.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
NICHOLS3":18yw0cj7 said:
Ive found out the older I get the less I can do without hurting, Ive worked out since my freshman year in college and I'm 50 now. I basically just use cables or if I do free weights I don't over do it or I will hurt something without a doubt and end up having to take weeks off. Getting old sucks but I still go 3 to 4 times a week to try and stay in shape.

lol it started at 42 for me. people are different though. i trained with the Azevedo brothers, in Henderson, after i got out of the Army and these guys were in their 40’s and lifting close to a world record bench press. i remember Larry won a couple of local competitions by doing his warm up lift at 600 lbs.

pressfit

pressfit

Poser":tk9a7mgx said:
You're doing something wrong -either it's a form issue, too much volume or a combination of both.
10x10 rep schemes are for people who have been lifting for a long time and no longer getting stimulation from lesser volume. Volume wise, that's 100 reps on a very an accessory lift for a very small muscle group. For frame of reference, I'm an intermediate lifter and my worksets total around 50 reps total PER WEEK for squats, 50 reps per week for Presses and 45 reps per week of pulling from the floor. Without seeing an actually video of you doing the movement, I'd say your body is telling you that it's too much volume and complaining of overuse.

I only do 5 sets of 5.. twice a week.. I watched today and my wrists are straight during the curl.. on my second set when I added some more weight it felt like someone sticking steak knives in the back of my hands.. I only did 2 before I had quit..lol..

Headhunter

Headhunter

I am a fan of the following workout
2 sets of 12 reps
1 set of 8 reps
1 set of 6 reps
1 set of 4 reps
1 set of 2 reps

drop back to 12 rep weight and burn out.

On my curl day my set of 2 used to be 185 lbs but now it is 150 lbs, being over 50 changes things somewhat.

I use this routine for most everything, squats, deadlifts, bench, dumbbells, lat pulls everything. I will mix in some high rep (40 -50 reps in one set) fairly often, but my standard routine is this.

The 8, 6, 4, 2 need to be very close to what you can do for that amount of reps.

duckduck84

duckduck84

pressfit":2gu9khzh said:
Poser":2gu9khzh said:

I only do 5 sets of 5.. twice a week.. I watched today and my wrists are straight during the curl.. on my second set when I added some more weight it felt like someone sticking steak knives in the back of my hands.. I only did 2 before I had quit..lol..
How much weight are you using? And how much are you going up at a time, 5 pounds total or more?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk