Culler 9 point

ImThere

Tomahawk said:
ImThere said:
Lol cull buck? Bow hunter?

How bout nice deer and hunter? Works you watch to much TV
LOL... I don't really watch hunting shows. I'm fortunate enough to hunt good land in both TN and IL. I'm not being conceded but I know what I have on my farms and therefore target larger bucks for the most part but enjoy the cull kills as much. I only used a muzzle loader because I had no choice, gun only no bow allowed. I don't mind because it allows me to kill an extra buck. TV shows...yeah right, more like great land and good skills.
To all the others who gave me congrats and left the jealous remarks out of your comments... Thanks, it's greatly appreciated.
Congrats to ya but jealous sorry but no

Tomahawk

Master Chief said:
Nice deer, got any better pics yet?
yes here's one I posted in 2012 kill thread post.
6B28D957-8739-4E56-9BD1-16CA49186F88-6375-00000B1D24206BF4.jpg
[/img]

pass-thru

Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
did u happen to pull the jawbone?
not yet but will. This is a younger buck 3.5 at best but more than likely a 2.5.

Seems pretty stupid to cull a possible 2.5yo considering you don't what they'll do for a few more years.

I don't know why some people think they need to justify every deer they shoot with some type of "management" rational. Just seems ungrateful.

nate17

Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
not yet but will. This is a younger buck 3.5 at best but more than likely a 2.5.

If this deer is truly 2.5, then you killed a very high end 2.5 yr old for any area and this goes to show what a detriment the term "cull" has become.

If your happy with the kill, (which it looks like you are by the pics you're posting of it)then just leave it at that without trying to justify anything. I would still like to see the jawbone.

BTW, Congrats on a very nice deer.

Tomahawk

nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:

If this deer is truly 2.5, then you killed a very high end 2.5 yr old for any area and this goes to show what a detriment the term "cull" has become.

If your happy with the kill, (which it looks like you are by the pics you're posting of it)then just leave it at that without trying to justify anything. I would still like to see the jawbone.

Thanks for the congrats. I know my properties and know what this deer potential was going to be. Sure he would have gained more but not as much as one would think. I have numerous other bucks in the area that have similar genetics and they just never explode in to upper end antler size. Their tines stay short, this particular buck had a mix between his right and left side. I have other younger bucks that I would love to get that I have let pass because I know what they will become. Funny to hear folks tell me what I should or should not cull, they've never set foot on my property and don't have a clue what is running around here. "Cull" does not take away from a kill, it's just a way of saying "I don't want these genetics to become the primary genetics on my property". I never said this wasn't a good deer, just something I didn't mind taking out earlier than normal. Culling is not an excuse to shoot a deer but a way of practicing deer management. You may do things differently on your property...more power to you.

Shed Hunter

Tomahawk said:
Master Chief said:
Tomahawk said:
Master Chief said:
Nice deer, got any better pics yet?
yes here's one I posted in 2012 kill thread post.
6B28D957-8739-4E56-9BD1-16CA49186F88-6375-00000B1D24206BF4.jpg
[/img]

Holy crap, that deer is atleast 36" wide!
Lol. No chief it's just the camera angle, it just looks wider than it is. I'll take numbers later and post them if interested.

lol, I know I was just messin with you.

Post the numbers if you want to, doesn't matter to me.

nate17

Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:

Thanks for the congrats. I know my properties and know what this deer potential was going to be. Sure he would have gained more but not as much as one would think. I have numerous other bucks in the area that have similar genetics and they just never explode in to upper end antler size. Their tines stay short, this particular buck had a mix between his right and left side. I have other younger bucks that I would love to get that I have let pass because I know what they will become. Funny to hear folks tell me what I should or should not cull, they've never set foot on my property and don't have a clue what is running around here. "Cull" does not take away from a kill, it's just a way of saying "I don't want these genetics to become the primary genetics on my property". I never said this wasn't a good deer, just something I didn't mind taking out earlier than normal. Culling is not an excuse to shoot a deer but a way of practicing deer management. You may do things differently on your property...more power to you.

A biologist does not have to step foot on anyones property to know what your dealing with when you hear the terms "2.5" and "cull" about a harvested animal

Shed Hunter

Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:

"culling" does not work in the wild.

Tomahawk

nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:

A biologist does not have to step foot on anyones property to know what your dealing with when you hear the terms "2.5" and "cull" about a harvested animal
If this buck is 2.5. The only reason I believe he could be is based on his physical body size in comparison to other deer in the area but the guys where I took it to be processed seems to think its 3.5 minimum but haven't examined him thoroughly yet. It really doesn't matter either way at this point because I can't bring him back alive. I've got so many good bucks around it really doesn't matter if I killed him, a neighbor, or a car. Plenty more good ones to choose from, I attribute this to good management practices. You believe one thing, I believe another.
I commend you on your work as a biologist but that doesn't mean your always right. Quite a bit of info gathered on wildlife behavior and potential genetic outcomes are based on studies that aren't proven facts. I always take what a biologist says with a grain of salt and never hold it to be fact, sorry if this offends, not my intent.

nate17

Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:
Tomahawk said:
nate17 said:

If this buck is 2.5. The only reason I believe he could be is based on his physical body size in comparison to other deer in the area but the guys where I took it to be processed seems to think its 3.5 minimum but haven't examined him thoroughly yet. It really doesn't matter either way at this point because I can't bring him back alive. I've got so many good bucks around it really doesn't matter if I killed him, a neighbor, or a car. Plenty more good ones to choose from, I attribute this to good management practices. You believe one thing, I believe another.
I commend you on your work as a biologist but that doesn't mean your always right. Quite a bit of info gathered on wildlife behavior and potential genetic outcomes are based on studies that aren't proven facts. I always take what a biologist says with a grain of salt and never hold it to be fact, sorry if this offends, not my intent.

It doesnt offend me in the least that you have an opinion or that you killed the deer. I think its a solid deer that would make many people happy.

The difference between your opinion and what is a fact is predicting that a 2.5 yr old deer will be a cull at maturity is nothing more than a guessing game for both of us.

Latest posts