Food Plots crimson clover

Cutover

Deer are not touching crimson clover plot. I thought they would love something green now.

Remington700

What are they eating? I have a neighbor with a clover plot and never find any in the deer I kill. Always just full of acorns.

JCDEERMAN

I don't see many deer eating our crimson. We typically just plant it to add nitrogen to the soil and help improve the soil overall. It does have some good pollination benefits in the spring with all the bugs and bees. The turkeys will be in there in the spring, as they like it a lot.

TN-Hunter

They are hitting my crimson clover in my blend of winter wheat and tiller radish. My plot is only about an inch tall now. Hopefully this warm weather will kick the plot back to growing.

TNlandowner

I planted crimson clover over winter wheat plots during our snow storm. The "Frost" seeding method worked great and my plots are now showing beautiful red flower heads. As mentioned above, the deer aren't eating the crimson clover, but I've seen a bunch of rabbits and turkey in the plots. Adding nitrogen and more organic matter is a huge benefit.

BSK

You can plant crimson any time. Just realize it will mature, flower and die back at some point during the summer if unmowed. If mowed once a month, it may not flower and can last all summer.

JCDEERMAN

I planted crimson clover over winter wheat plots during our snow storm. The "Frost" seeding method worked great and my plots are now showing beautiful red flower heads. As mentioned above, the deer aren't eating the crimson clover, but I've seen a bunch of rabbits and turkey in the plots. Adding nitrogen and more organic matter is a huge benefit.
Yep - I don't see deer eating much of it. I do see a lot of turkeys and bugs/pollinators in it. Agree 100% on the nitrogen and organic matter as a huge benefit.

BSK

Once spring green-up starts, deer usage of crimson clover really drops off. But if you plant a second crop for summer, or maintain your clover so it doesn't bloom, deer will be back on it by June.

Latest posts