Crappie boat requirements

TboneD

Guys, I've already gotten some great advice here in my search for a boat. My budget is $4500 and I'm wanting something for hunting/fishing. Probably the most time in it will be in the search for crappie, though. What requirements should it have? A livewell? Any tips on what I need to look for other than all welded aluminum and a 48" minimum wide bottom? Since I really want something big enough for an occasional 3 man fishing or hunting (duck, deer, turkey) trip, does it need to be a 16' boat? There sure are a lot of tiller steered 1448's out there for less, but I presume most that have a deck up front large enough to fish off of don't have a livewell. Am I right? What would you crappie fisherman require it to have? Thanks bunch and I hope everyone has a great start to the work week.
Dave

rsimms

Personally, I don't think the style of boat much matters as much as how you rig it out. On Chickamauga Lake I see EVERYTHING from fishing kayaks, up to $60,000 bass boats out crappie fishing. I always smile a little when I see a $60,000 Triton or Ranger rigged out with crappie rod holders fore and aft. But hey, they catch crappie... and you can do the exact same thing in a 14 ft. job boat.

Now I fish out of a 17 ft. deep-v (G3 Angler 170). I really like the deep-v. On big water when the wind gets up, the deep-v handles big waves MUCH better! A flat-bottom will beat you to death. But I fished (and duck hunted) out of a 16 ft. flat bottom for 25 years and it served me well.

If you're doing everything (fishing & duck hunting), that would probably be my recommendation. A 16-foot foot flat-bottom or semi-v. And actually I think extra width is very important. I'd say a 52-inch beam minimum, even up to 70-inch beam (which is what I had). The extra width really helps on stability and gear stowage. I ran a 40-horse Mariner on mine (although now I'd recommend a Yamaha 4-stroke).

I bought the plain aluminum (then painted it camouflage), but I added a false floor myself. I could put carpet down easily myself and the false floor helped hide trolling motor cables, etc.

Mine had a livewell, but most livewells in aluminum jon boats really don't perform very well unless they are WELL insulated and aerated. If you're mostly worried about crappie, I would always just carry an ice chest, and put them on ice as I went. I'd do that even with the livewell because as water temps would warm, mine just wouldn't keep them alive well.

Again, that boat served me well for 25 years doing some hardcore fishing and duck hunting. I had to upgrade when I started guiding, but I often wish I still had that old 16-foot jon boat back.

I hope all that is of some help.

AllOutdoors

Definitely a livewell. Most boats with a front deck from the factory will have a livewell if 16ft or longer. There aren't many 14ft boats with much of a front deck. You could fab a deck. Several 14ft boats will have a livewell in the center bench. For fishing 3 people, I would highly recommend at least 16ft. It can be done with a 14ft but the lack of casting room and the weight of 3 passengers and gear could be a safety issue. For crappie fishing,hunting, and 3 aboard....livewell, 16ft minimum, couple of storage boxes,gun/rod storage. These would be my minimum requirements. Many aren't concerned about storage, however, when you figure the cost of rods,reels,tackle,guns etc. ,a place to store those items is well worth the extra cost for me. Also keep in mind that the bigger you go and more people/gear you plan on hauling will require more hp. Just figure out what is most important to you within your budget and stay with it till you find your boat. Otherwise you may be disappointed in your purchase.
Good luck.

TboneD

rsimms":mjrfogs0 said:
Personally, I don't think the style of boat much matters as much as how you rig it out. On Chickamauga Lake I see EVERYTHING from fishing kayaks, up to $60,000 bass boats out crappie fishing. I always smile a little when I see a $60,000 Triton or Ranger rigged out with crappie rod holders fore and aft. But hey, they catch crappie... and you can do the exact same thing in a 14 ft. job boat.

Now I fish out of a 17 ft. deep-v (G3 Angler 170). I really like the deep-v. On big water when the wind gets up, the deep-v handles big waves MUCH better! A flat-bottom will beat you to death. But I fished (and duck hunted) out of a 16 ft. flat bottom for 25 years and it served me well.

If you're doing everything (fishing & duck hunting), that would probably be my recommendation. A 16-foot foot flat-bottom or semi-v. And actually I think extra width is very important. I'd say a 52-inch beam minimum, even up to 70-inch beam (which is what I had). The extra width really helps on stability and gear stowage. I ran a 40-horse Mariner on mine (although now I'd recommend a Yamaha 4-stroke).

I bought the plain aluminum (then painted it camouflage), but I added a false floor myself. I could put carpet down easily myself and the false floor helped hide trolling motor cables, etc.

Mine had a livewell, but most livewells in aluminum jon boats really don't perform very well unless they are WELL insulated and aerated. If you're mostly worried about crappie, I would always just carry an ice chest, and put them on ice as I went. I'd do that even with the livewell because as water temps would warm, mine just wouldn't keep them alive well.

Again, that boat served me well for 25 years doing some hardcore fishing and duck hunting. I had to upgrade when I started guiding, but I often wish I still had that old 16-foot jon boat back.

I hope all that is of some help.

Richard, that's a LOT of help. I'll stick to getting a 16' semi V as wide as I can find, 48" min. bottom, and thanks for the livewell tip. No sense in using one that doesn't do it's job. Much appreciated and I hope you have a great week of fishing!
Dave

TboneD

AllOutdoors":d4flqqgp said:
Definitely a livewell. Most boats with a front deck from the factory will have a livewell if 16ft or longer. There aren't many 14ft boats with much of a front deck. You could fab a deck. Several 14ft boats will have a livewell in the center bench. For fishing 3 people, I would highly recommend at least 16ft. It can be done with a 14ft but the lack of casting room and the weight of 3 passengers and gear could be a safety issue. For crappie fishing,hunting, and 3 aboard....livewell, 16ft minimum, couple of storage boxes,gun/rod storage. These would be my minimum requirements. Many aren't concerned about storage, however, when you figure the cost of rods,reels,tackle,guns etc. ,a place to store those items is well worth the extra cost for me. Also keep in mind that the bigger you go and more people/gear you plan on hauling will require more hp. Just figure out what is most important to you within your budget and stay with it till you find your boat. Otherwise you may be disappointed in your purchase.
Good luck.

Thanks, man. Much appreciated.
Dave

TboneD

Snowwolfe":148bha6c said:
If you want to put three adults in it occasionally as well as hunting gear you really need to go with a 16 footer. I wouldn't be concerned if the hull is weld or riveted. Either can be good or bad.

Thanks for the tip. I guess gauge of the metal is more important? I've done a little research on the tinboat site and will try to do some more when I can.
Much appreciated,
Dave

Snowwolfe

I don't even think the thickness of the metal is as important as how well the boat is constructed. Think of a floor. What would you rather have, floor joists 16 inches on center or 24? Similar to the ribs on a boat.
There is a good reason why some boat hulls cost way less when new compared to other brands and it is generally due to how they were constructed. Just avoid brands you never heard of before.

Headhunter

For sure agree with Richard about the cooler.

In the late 1980's early 90's, before there was a limit, it was nothing for a friend of mine and myself to clean 150 to 200 crappie per day (our best day ever was something over 240) in the spring when they came up shallow. We used a cooler and ice.

I don't care how big or good your livewell is if you are planning on keeping a limit (30 on priest) or if you have a couple guys in the boat and are going to stay on the water several hours fishing, I personally believe it is best to put them in a cooler on ice.

Gvit

I have a SeaArk 1652 DXL 40 hp tiller (open floor design) - love it. Can tow it w/ my Tacoma (but it stays hitched to the F350). Very stable - I can walk around it without constantly trying to balance myself out, tons of room & built very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gvit

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458648719.347046.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458648719.347046.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,558
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458648737.444721.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458648737.444721.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,553
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458648796.669846.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458648796.669846.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,542

Mudbone

Tbone, I have an 18ft tracker tournament pro aluminum semi v boat with a 90hp mariner I'm gonna be selling soon. It's got everything you would want out of a boat. Large decks front and back, 80 lb trolling motor 12/24, Lots of storage, two aerated live wells, good depth finders, HUGE cooler for ice, it runs awesomet and it would be right around your price range. It's in great shape, the cpt is just a lil flat. No tears or anything just flat. Send me a message if you'd like to look at it or test it or whatever. It'll be listed for sale on here shortly after I fish it a few more times :)

TboneD

Looking at a 16 ft Fisher duck boat with a 56" bottom. It has a 40 h Johnson and a console, but tons of room, front fishing deck, two live wells on either side for storage, and several seat post ports. Looks to be very versatile. Thanks for all the replies!

Yotekiller011

I agree with Richard, The boat its self does not matter so much I've had everything from a 14" aluminum with nothing but a battery and trolling motor to 21' bass boat and unless you're worried about getting from hole to hole fast it's a waste of money. Get you a good quality aluminum semi v 16" boat color don't matter for fishing, go to Walmart get yourself two pedestal seats go to lowes get one sheet of marine plywood have them cut it in half for you get you some outdoor carpet (not required but for the cost worth it) get yourself a good Tiller outboard 30 to 50 hp., good trolling motor and battery, get you a good hummingbird 7" helix si/di or equivalent realitively cheap unit but works great in the world of electronics today, water temp and depth and drop offs are really all that's important to catch crappie the rest is just cosmetic IMO and some rod holders (not required but nice for trolling) . The platforms will fit perfect in a 16' boat holds the seats well. O yea and a cooler. Get a cheap little aireator to drop in it or just use ice. I even had a buddy who went one step further and piped in a pump but that's a lot work for small return. IMO put your money in a good outboard so your fishing trips are trouble free and nice little boat with good electronics and your good to go. You do not have to spend a fortune and you will catch as many fish as anyone Just pile up with the rest of us, you'll catch fish :D Good luck buddy,

Dave

TboneD

Yotekiller011":206pa7tu said:
I agree with Richard, The boat its self does not matter so much I've had everything from a 14" aluminum with nothing but a battery and trolling motor to 21' bass boat and unless you're worried about getting from hole to hole fast it's a waste of money. Get you a good quality aluminum semi v 16" boat color don't matter for fishing, go to Walmart get yourself two pedestal seats go to lowes get one sheet of marine plywood have them cut it in half for you get you some outdoor carpet (not required but for the cost worth it) get yourself a good Tiller outboard 30 to 50 hp., good trolling motor and battery, get you a good hummingbird 7" helix si/di or equivalent realitively cheap unit but works great in the world of electronics today, water temp and depth and drop offs are really all that's important to catch crappie the rest is just cosmetic IMO and some rod holders (not required but nice for trolling) . The platforms will fit perfect in a 16' boat holds the seats well. O yea and a cooler. Get a cheap little aireator to drop in it or just use ice. I even had a buddy who went one step further and piped in a pump but that's a lot work for small return. IMO put your money in a good outboard so your fishing trips are trouble free and nice little boat with good electronics and your good to go. You do not have to spend a fortune and you will catch as many fish as anyone Just pile up with the rest of us, you'll catch fish :D Good luck buddy,

Dave

Thanks, man. I really appreciate the input!

Crosshairy

I just bought a jon boat for similar uses as yours. Due to not having a spot to put a boat other than a bit of driveway space or half the garage, I'm limited to a 14-footer.

After doing lots of looking before buying a good boat on Craigslist, I can say that a tiller handle is a must to maximize floor space. The console steering is a nice feature, but it takes up a chunk of space. Unless you end up with a very wide boat, it won't be that great for you when it comes to fishing 3 people.

I bought a bare bones boat with no middle seat (Alumacraft 1442 NCS) that has a 15 HP merc on the back. For what you are describing, I'd get the 16-foot and go up at least one size on the motor.

The downside to what I have is that I now have a fair amount of work in front of me before the boat is the way I want it - it's not wired up, and with no flat deck up front that's flush with the gunwale, you have to add some sort of bracket to do a bow-mounted trolling motor. Some folks love big DIY projects, but I'd rather fish... :)

Latest posts