Cranes flying over mid TN

catman529

catman529

Ok so y'all east or west TN folk probably see em regular and think nothing of them.

I remember hearing em for the past several years and having no idea what that weird but cool sounding bird was. I would always look for them, but never saw anything, which made it even more intriguing.

Then within the past 3 years or so, I found out via the internet that the sound was cranes, and they can fly very high and their call travels very far, which explained why I never saw them.

Last winter I was driving down 840 between Peytonsville Rd and I-65 when I saw a flock flying overhead. Obviously couldn't hear em, but they weren't any other bird I'd seen around here, and I knew what they were.

Well today, this afternoon, I was just gonna hunt some ag fields with my 308 on public ground.

About 4pm I heard em, and then saw em. Got some pics and video while they flew NNE. I would have to guess they landed in one of our reservoirs as I doubt they made it out of TN before dark.

I love that sound they make, I think they're pretty cool. Saw two spikes at 400 yards afterwards

a3aca0fa6de66b25386b0bf393ebcebf.jpg

http://youtu.be/RjPG1BP5tio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TRIGGER

TRIGGER

Had a few back seat drivers in there lol. Never heard (or payed attention) them. they sound neat.

S

Smo

Cat,

Are those sand hill cranes?

Like you I heard them several times before I ever saw them.

In Jensen Beach Fl. They have sand hill crane cross walks.

Beat anything I’d ever seen .

Oh ! And you best not run over one , the penalty is a stiff one I hear.

Good time Charlie

Good time Charlie

As I was coming home from Knoxville on Christmas day,I was coming past the sharps chapel turn off,And there is a good bit of water on the other side of the road from the lake. I looked and never seen so many cranes at one time.This thread made me think of it.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
coo. great video. we get birds that look like pelicans on Birdsong sometimes.

Grandslam11

Grandslam11

We've started hearing/seeing them around the house. Usually around Jan-Feb they will really start coming in heavy. They are entertaining birds to watch.

Big Ben

Big Ben

I lived about 40 miles north of this Indiana Fish and Wildlife area. Did some waterfowl hunting there and those Sandhill's would drive you crazy. Link goes to Jasper-Pulaski fish and wildlife area, several sub links that are interesting. People come from all over to see them. I think the most at one time there was 22,000. They are cool to hear and watch, just remember they fly WAY up there and if you hear but not see your not looking high enough. Cool to watch them leave out to feed each day. They start out in a low circle, go round and round until they get the altitude they want then head out to feed.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3109.htm

foodplot

foodplot

We usually start hearing them come over around Thanksgiving here in my area (they were a little later this year than normal)....I heard a group come over yesterday...

Tennessee280

Tennessee280

yea those are the ones they have a draw to hunt over near Chattanooga area. Old hickory has a bunch of pelicans that come through these days and those are some cool birds, couldn't believe it the first time I saw em but theyre yearly visitors now

JimFromTN

JimFromTN

I have seen them fly thru that area in past years. Not sure where they are going or coming from. They are thick in AK. A friend of mine lives next to a flats and they fly over his house at tree top level all day long from august thru september.

Hunt 365

Hunt 365

I saw some on Christmas Day. I bet they were a mile high. You could still hear them though. Great video!

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
Love the video. A sense of peacefulness about it. You hunting the trio of fields we dove hunted once?

catman529

catman529

Nimrod777":23gwjgy2 said:
Love the video. A sense of peacefulness about it. You hunting the trio of fields we dove hunted once?
Yea I figured it was worth a shot.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Tn_Va_Hunter

Had a lone sand hill crane land in the field I was hunting last week. Pretty dang neat. First one I had ever seen or heard !

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
catman529":1fjezfe5 said:
Nimrod777":1fjezfe5 said:
Looks like it was. This late in the game, I'd have taken one of those spikes. Or maybe I should just wait for youth season.

catman529

catman529

Nimrod777":2ojfvxgd said:
catman529":2ojfvxgd said:
Nimrod777":2ojfvxgd said:
Looks like it was. This late in the game, I'd have taken one of those spikes. Or maybe I should just wait for youth season.
I won't use my 2nd buck tag unless it's a real good one, but I plan on shooting at least a couple more does if I get the chance

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
I'd for sure rather take a doe than a spike, but I'm running out of available time to hunt. Good luck to you.