Craigslist Car Scam?

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
I'm looking for a car for a young man in our youth group whose dad is out of the picture, and whose mom is a schoolteacher, and whose savings account has just hit $2k. So we are operating under some limitations, and the cars we're finding all have quite a bit of character. I'm looking at a '98 Corolla on Craigslist, and he sends me a pic of a 2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 double cab truck with 103k miles on it, advertised for $1500.

They've either lost a zero, or it's a scam.

My question is: how do they work these scams?

I've seen it many times, a vehicle way too good to be true for the price advertised. Are they just baiting you out to a location with cash, then bonk you on the head? Do they have a different vehicle than the one pictured and expect to sell it?

DaveB

DaveB

If you pursue buying the truck (I actually did try) the deal they will ask for something to hold the deal, like gift cards.

They are looking for that one person who thinks they have found the deal of a lifetime.

It is a total scam. Report it to craigslist

C

Cache

I'd say most of them are the--out of town on business but if you wire or send them the money they will have the car shipped to you. Although I did have a buddy get robbed for 15k going to look at a truck. If you are unsure best place to meet is the local PD.

D

Deer Whisperer

Most of the time, they will have a good story about why they can't meet you face to face. They will promise to ship the car to you. They will tell you if you pay through a secure service, the money will not be released to them until the car is delivered to you. Of course, this is a lie. They will have your money, and all they ever had was photos of a vehicle.

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
Yeah, I guess in a sense they are fishing for the hungriest fish out there, and the most naive. I'll report it. But to be honest, it's a nice looking truck... :D

T

TNTreeman

Supporter
If it's too good to be true, it is. If it's a strange ,email only way to contact them, that's a red flag. If you can't speak with them, another problem. If you contact them successfully arrange a meeting at a local sheriffs office. They have big parking lots and should be safe.

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
TNTreeman":5jy9fu4k said:
If it's too good to be true, it is. If it's a strange ,email only way to contact them, that's a red flag. If you can't speak with them, another problem. If you contact them successfully arrange a meeting at a local sheriffs office. They have big parking lots and should be safe.
To their credit, the local PD have a couple of parking spaces in front of their station that are sign-identified as being for buy/sell transactions.

Never thought about it before, but I wonder how many druggies they catch that way...

M

muddyboots

Supporter
I found one like that a few months back. It was 9500 not 1500 which was still a good deal. I was scared to even check on it. lol somebody may have gotten a deal.

Snake

Snake

There have been those types of scams on Offerup and maybe Letgo as well . I seen one were they wanted only $1500 for a 2009 crewcab Polaris Ranger and they are really wanting your personal info .I turn them in when I see one I think the term is "phishing".