Coyotes and Raccoons Help

Rakkin6

Hey guys new to the predator thread and predator hunting. So I have a couple quick questions. First will be on coyote.

1. I am limited to shotgun/rimfire rifles where I will be hunting coyote. For you more experienced guys which do you prefer. And if it is a rimfire which caliber would you go with. I do have a .22LR but looking for something with maybe a little more power. I have plenty of 12 gauge shotguns and plenty of ammo suited for predator hunting including T Shot and 00 Buck.(I am not limited to these two choices because of lack of firearms just the regulations of the land I hunt.)

2. Is there a certain call either electronic or mouth type call you recommend. I would like to keep the prices reasonable on the electronics of possible, preferably in the $150.00 range.

3. Raccoon hunting without dogs. I know it will be more challenging but is there a specific way you guys would or have done it. I am good to go on all the gear to get it done just need some help with a technique. Do you use calls, baits etc. Anything will help.

Just seeing more and more of both these animals then I ever have and they are going to start affecting the deer and turkey population through predation and nest robbing. Might not be a big dent I can put in them but better than nothing.

Thanks for the help.

CATCHDAWG

Buckshot is a no-no for hunting in Tennessee. You might want to check the regs for other shot sizes on the wma as well. The wma I hunt has to be #4 or smaller. I usually carry a .22 mag with 40gr Speers and they do pretty good for a rimfire.

Rakkin6

Fort Campbell is a beast in itself. Some of the regulations follow Kentucky some Tennessee.

Straight from the Fort regulations

Shotguns 12 gauge or 10 gauge using shot with diameter between 0.20 to
0.33 inches. Common shot sizes that fall within this range are: T shot, #4 buck shot, 0 buck shot, 00 buck shot.

Like I said though first time really doing any predator hunting so if you guys say don't use buckshot and use T Shot or #4 buckshot I will take your advice. My goal is just to take them out has humanely has possible. If using a shotgun an on keeping my shots within 40 yards.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
If you want to put a dent in nest predators on turkey then get a half dozen dog proof traps and you will get more than I think you could in an area by hunting.

That's just my opinion but from personal experience on my farm the first year I ran dog proof traps I ran 2 dozen of them and that season I caught 170 coins, possums, and skunks combined. It definitely helped the turkeys and I even had some quail show back up on the farm the next spring.

Planking

Ive killed a few with #4 turkey loads. I wish you could trap too. It produces more results on everything vs calling.

Mattt

3" load of #4 steel will take anything out to 40 yds. I use it for turkeys and ducks out of same gun and ducks I can push a lot further depending on how they're coming in. My longest turkey kill is 48 yds with same load but in 20 ga. As far as rim fire the 22 mag that was mentioned is a powerhouse and I use a .17 for the same mostly now but have killed a pile of animals with a .22 long rifle. Head shot on a yote with a 22 can be tricky as I've had deflection issues with the skull at 30-40 yds so I prefer a good heart/lung with that caliber.

Latest posts