Coyote rifle

Vermin93

I'm planning to drive out to CDNN Sports this weekend to purchase a rifle. They have the Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather available in a bunch of calibers for $500. Any thoughts on whether to purchase this rifle in 204 Ruger, 223 or 22-250? Primary use will be coyote hunting in both wide open country and woods.

TN Song Dog

Any of those would be good. Of the ones listed, I vote 223. Great caliber with good ammo at fair prices. Good for varmints, predator, and potential for deer... though not my first choice. Might also consider 243 as a good multi use caliber. 243 puts a major hurting on yotes.

Wildcat

I use an AR shooting 223 and also a Rem 700 shooting 22-250. Each has it's place but if I only had one it would be the 22-250 which is what I had and used for 20+ years before I got the AR for hunting.

280longshot

The 22-250 is without doubt a 223 on steroids but ammo is more expensive. Having a 22-250 can give you an advantage mentally and it kills deer wonderfully.
I would opt for a 223 in a lightweight rifle like a CZ 527.

Bodine270

I have a CZ 527 in .204 that is a tack driving flat shooting fun gun. A 32 grain moving over 4000 fps will put hurting on varmints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke

Ive got all 3. 223 will be cheaper to shoot and easier to find unless theres another ammo scare. 22-250 will be your flattest shooting at a distance. 204 is a flat shooting, small bullet if you're wanting something a little more fur friendly. I want something that wont blow big holes in a hide. 50 gr V-max for my 223 has worked well so far. 32gr V-max in my 204 which i carry most of the time. Did have one splash with it but most youd be hard pressed to find the hole just by looking at it. Hardly any recoil so i an watch my hit thru the scope. 22-250 is a great round but im still trying to find something a little easier on the fur. 50 gr ballistic silvertip will most definitely splash from my experience and leaves a heck of a hole. Ive seen good results using the Winchester varmageddon ammo but haven't tried it out yet.

280longshot

I have just the standard 527 American and 300 yrd small groups are easy from the bench.
The varmint is heavier so pick what suits you. I had a hard time chosing cause I was skeptical about the accuracy of the standard weight barrel, but no worries there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bodine270

Mine is the Varmint model. It instantly became my favorite gun in the safe. Cool to see your hits like Smoke said with the .204.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat

Vermin93":j6c9n0wy said:
I was set on the Ruger All Weather, but now I'm torn. I don't own a 223 and I'm really a blued/walnut kind of guy, so I may go with the CZ. Thanks for the feedback.

Good choice. The CZ's are very hard to beat. If you do get a CZ in 223 do not run any of that junk though it, right out of the box it will shoot very good and with the right ammo it will be a track driver.

Vermin93

Wildcat":2wzjdeq0 said:
Vermin93":2wzjdeq0 said:
I was set on the Ruger All Weather, but now I'm torn. I don't own a 223 and I'm really a blued/walnut kind of guy, so I may go with the CZ. Thanks for the feedback.

Good choice. The CZ's are very hard to beat. If you do get a CZ in 223 do not run any of that junk though it, right out of the box it will shoot very good and with the right ammo it will be a track driver.

Wildcat, what junk are you referring to? I'm not sure what you mean.

Hunt2Live

280longshot":g0damckr said:
The 22-250 is without doubt a 223 on steroids but ammo is more expensive. Having a 22-250 can give you an advantage mentally and it kills deer wonderfully.
I would opt for a 223 in a lightweight rifle like a CZ 527.
This^^

Wildcat

Vermin93":15mvqhtq said:
Wildcat":15mvqhtq said:
Vermin93":15mvqhtq said:

Wildcat, what junk are you referring to? I'm not sure what you mean.

Those cheap dirty steel cased 5.56 ammo. What you will get is a great "hunting rifle" so keep using the good stuff. I've been to the range and seen several guys shooting the cheap steel case stuff though their Ruger, Rem, Win and CZ blot actions and could never understand why.There are better ways to save money than that.

Latest posts