Coyote "Fission-Fusion"

Coldfusion

Re: Coyote "Fission-Fusion"

"According to SOME CARNIVORE ECOLOGIST" with no sources or names and it was printed by the times. I question this theory. Thanks for the read though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

As I understand it, you may be doing more harm than good shooting coyotes depending on which ones you end up shooting. In a given area you have a dominant pair. This alpha pair does most of the breeding while at the same time limiting the breeding of others. When you take out this dominant pair there is a race to fill that position. During this time frame all of the others are free to breed. You take out 2 dogs (the dominant ones) and several breeding pairs temporarily replace them and the end result is more than you started with. Depending on the temperament of the new dominant pair along with available food sources you may have more dogs in your area or more dogs spreading out into new areas.

Coldfusion

Re: Coyote "Fission-Fusion"

I guess this concept is hard for me to grasp since I was raised in the country and still have family on the same land and the coyotes seem to be increasing regardless even though no one hunts them there. So I don't see how any study could be conclusive on reproduction rate when predators are hunted. How could they ever even form a consistent verifiable baseline? How long did this study go on? How did they continually monitor the baseline for comparison? How did it compare to outside pressure in the area either construction, population, or hunting? How would this vary regionally? Idk I just think there are way to many variables. Because I also know people who hunt them on their property and the population seems consistent. I'm not an expert at all, and I'm sure many of y'all know way way more Than me. Just seems weird to me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts