Cows and food plots

rtaylor

I've got a neighbor that apparently doesn't care about his cows getting into my food plots. Every time I plant and my seed germinates I can count on his cows mowing it to the ground. The first couple of times I ran the cows out and repaired the down places of his fence myself. I've sent him pictures of his cows out there and he doesn't even respond anymore. I told him last time I was gong to give him a seed bill if it happened again. Well long story long they are out there again today. Is there any authority that I can call that would send him a warning or write him a ticket? I really want to implement SSS. Shoot, shovel steak into my mouth, and shut up.

rtaylor

I'm assuming the cows are on property you own? How are they getting onto your property? Is his fence down?
Yes they are coming on to my property. The fence is down in several places and I sent him pictures of everywhere the fence was down but he's trashy enough that he doesn't care. I want to shoot the cows but I know it's illegal.

knightrider

If its property line fence its just as much your responsibility to keep fence up, and yes he is liable for damages since he owns the cows, need to read the Tennessee fence laws

Attachments

• 2257DDFD-99AB-427A-8038-B4D0C6072FC7.png
    2257DDFD-99AB-427A-8038-B4D0C6072FC7.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

backyardtndeer

Had ongoing issues with a "neighbor" as well. Boy is from Illinois, and guess he does not give a flip. He has been here less than 10 years and I could give story after story of the issues I have had. His cows have gotten in my clover as well as my beans many times.

First year he was here, they ruined an afternoon hunt for me. His bull stunk and was all over my field. I had a nice buck patterned and knew he was going to hit this scrape line that he had been on the past 5 days in a row about 30 minutes before sunset. Wind was perfect, but his cows were there and I got in touch with him and let him know and instead of hunting, I was chasing his cows and then helping him fix his fence behind his barn.

I contact him, and he usually comes and chases them back in and complains about having to leave work. I have cows of my own, and in the time he has been here, mine have been on his property zero times. I used to push his back in, but don't think the boy appreciated it, so I quit doing that.

If you figure out a good resolution, post it here. My wife has often said, we could fill one of our extra freezers. lol

RS

I and other neighbors were having problems with one of our neighbors cows continually getting out. One neighbor had a feeder in his back yard because his wife liked to watch the deer. Of course the cows kept knocking it down. He finally had the Sheriff cite them for livestock trespass. I believe he had to prove it was habitual and that the owner knew of the problem. I think it took three separate complaints to the Sheriffs office before they cited the owner. They ended up selling the cows.

I found this from TN Farm Bureau. The second page discusses livestock. https://tnfarmbureau.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TN-Fence-Laws-Bro_1.pdf

Mattt

If the fence is on he property line it belongs to you as much as him. I set mine 1 foot in, I have cows , I hunt. They're leaving his place because you have feed he doesnt(or yours is better) move plots to where they can't find them or remove the cows. They will learn where and when your plots are and hit them every year and teach other cows to do the same

eddie c

What about having an officer to file a report, hiring a lawyer and taking him to court?
Or checking with a lawyer on what you can legally do and go from there?

Latest posts