• Help Support TNDeer:

Covid..

Kimber45

Staff member
So as we approach a year in, I’ve seen several lives taken early due to COVID19.. “Most” were older, but most of those were folks who were up every day taking care of themselves every single day, before COVID19.

I sure hope they do come up with a safe vaccine as this situation is real, and tough. Lost another great local man here this weekend who I thought a lot of, and his brother was having high-fever and hallucinating yesterday.. covid.

Prayers for all who’ve been impacted by this virus so far.

Andy S.

Same here. Lost a good friend (66) and a coworker/friend (69) who were otherwise healthy, and probably had 10+ years ahead of them. They both were in the hospital ALONE for the better part of the last month of their life. What a terrible way to go. Hope we turn the corner sooner rather than later with a vaccine and better treatment for those affected.

rem270

I know one lady personally that passed away a few months ago. She was in her late 50's and was on her first full year of retirement. She was a school teacher for 30+ plus years and well known and liked in the community.

My mom got hit hard with it and she's not in danger of dying luckily but even after 2 months she's still having trouble breathing.

Laxxxxxx

It’s tough because people think it’s a flu until their love ones get hammered by it. If we would just not be so defiant and use common sense a few would still be here.

BigAl

Thankfully I don't know anyone personally that passed away from it. But the wife and I both had it. Its not fun and luckily neither of us ended up in the horspital.

Omega

It’s tough because people think it’s a flu until their love ones get hammered by it. If we would just not be so defiant and use common sense a few would still be here.
It is not the flu, but is also not a death sentence. With proper diagnosis and quick treatment it is survivable, as more than 98% of those who have had it can attest to. The wife and I, as well as my son have probably had it, well before it had a name. All three of us had rough flu-like symptoms, (tested negative for flu) that lasted for weeks. If we had known of this, maybe we could have started taking zinc and Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to get over it faster as it was known then that it helped with SARS. Now, we have other widely available treatments, that even President Trump was treated with, so while it is prudent for those who are more susceptible to the virus take greater precautions, the rest of the population can carry on with standard precautions used during the normal flu season.

Laxxxxxx

It is not the flu, but is also not a death sentence. With proper diagnosis and quick treatment it is survivable, as more than 98% of those who have had it can attest to. The wife and I, as well as my son have probably had it, well before it had a name. All three of us had rough flu-like symptoms, (tested negative for flu) that lasted for weeks. If we had known of this, maybe we could have started taking zinc and Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to get over it faster as it was known then that it helped with SARS. Now, we have other widely available treatments, that even President Trump was treated with, so while it is prudent for those who are more susceptible to the virus take greater precautions, the rest of the population can carry on with standard precautions used during the normal flu season.
I was thinking if you had it don’t go to you’re relatives who have health issues just because you got over it. That seems like common sense and considerate, mature behavior.

Kimber45

Staff member
I’m not sure common sense applies on this situation for “most cases”.. however certainly for some. In reality, we cannot stop the world from spinning, for a virus. And, ppl in general are what they are...(most don’t care what happens with their neighbor honestly)...and a virus (regardless of how deadly it is to sick/elderly) won’t make people take more precautions or be different today than they were yesterday, and (IMO) we SURE don’t want a government mandating such. All that, just is what it is.... which is why I’m hopeful that they develop a vaccine.

savageman

There is no guarantee that a vaccine will protect everyone. I dont think flu vaccines keep everyone from getting the flu. We have had several people on this site tell how they got the flu duing years that they got the vaccine.
We should all wear masks.
Masks save lives.

Andy S.

I donate blood every 60 days or so. They have tested my blood for COVID-19 antibodies the last two times, and my results were negative both times. I get the results about 15 days after donating. I suppose if I had COVID-19 in the past, the antibodies test would be positive.

Omega

I was thinking if you had it don’t go to you’re relatives who have health issues just because you got over it. That seems like common sense and considerate, mature behavior.
Well, I would never go to anyone's house if I know I am contagious (or they are) mask or not, not even when chicken pox parties were a thing. But I also think that those with health conditions should be protecting themselves whenever ANYONE comes by, specially now, knowing that carriers can be asymptomatic. I am not laying blame on the OP, it was definitely a Poopty thing to do, but it should be a warning not to trust on others to protect you.

Whether we like it or not, we must now live with a "new normal" (as other's have coined), the days of going to work while sick may be a thing of the past, as attitudes back then were "you had better be dead" if you didn't show up for work. But there will always be those that don't care, both workers and management, I can recall many times in the past (and some now) that coworkers would show up hacking up a lung and we have had the flu killing thousands for years. So yea, extra precautions have been warranted for years. I for one am not going to wear a mask forever, I seldom do now, and am getting older so more susceptible every year. If masks work as well as they say, then the Spanish Flu would not have been as bad since they had masks back then too.

Omega

I donate blood every 60 days or so. They have tested my blood for COVID-19 antibodies the last two times, and my results were negative both times. I get the results about 15 days after donating. I suppose if I had COVID-19 in the past, the antibodies test would be positive.
I've read that the antibodies are short lived, less than 90 days or so, so even though I believe I have had it, I doubt I still have antibodies floating around.

Andy S.

As my doctor buddy says, there’s still A LOT we don’t know and understand about COVID-19. That’s it in a nutshell.

Kimber45

Staff member
As my doctor buddy says, there’s still A LOT we don’t know and understand about COVID-19. That’s it in a nutshell.
No doubt about it.. I am glad they are spending a lot of $ on this as someone will figure it out, IMO. Heck they may cure the common cold while they’re on this path..

Laxxxxxx

Well, I would never go to anyone's house if I know I am contagious (or they are) mask or not, not even when chicken pox parties were a thing. But I also think that those with health conditions should be protecting themselves whenever ANYONE comes by, specially now, knowing that carriers can be asymptomatic. I am not laying blame on the OP, it was definitely a Poopty thing to do, but it should be a warning not to trust on others to protect you.

Whether we like it or not, we must now live with a "new normal" (as other's have coined), the days of going to work while sick may be a thing of the past, as attitudes back then were "you had better be dead" if you didn't show up for work. But there will always be those that don't care, both workers and management, I can recall many times in the past (and some now) that coworkers would show up hacking up a lung and we have had the flu killing thousands for years. So yea, extra precautions have been warranted for years.
Agreed with everything left in the quote.

JeepKuntry

My prayers is that we have effective prescription options available soon. I heard of one last week that they have used with patients in the hospital that is now available to the general public. It's a virus so whether we like it or not, it's gonna be here. The vaccine will be like the flu, it may be effective, it may not depending on the strand.

huntintn

I can tell you this, the symptoms I'm suffering come and go. Right now my head hurts so bad I can't walk a straight line. Coughed for 48 hours and hoping I'm over that now.Chills and fever last night. Taking vitamin C and zinc, trying to keep hydrated. Enegery is on zero. People need to consider others health and stay home when their positive. Come to my house and get me sick now I'm confined and if I need anything you say you don't want to be around us because you don't want to get sick agian.

7mm08

There is no guarantee that a vaccine will protect everyone. I dont think flu vaccines keep everyone from getting the flu. We have had several people on this site tell how they got the flu duing years that they got the vaccine.
We should all wear masks.
Masks save lives.
The FLU vaccine is always “a guess” of what strain will hit us therefore it is a crap shoot when it goes into development. This Covid should be on the mark as far as vaccinations.

Hduke86

I’ll tell you that in the beginning I thought it was no big deal but I’m 34 years old and I’m good health. Now I have seen first hand how quick it can get your attention and I tell you my situation. I have a neighbor that recently lost his wife of 51 years and on top of that he has dementia. Well his only kinfolk pretty much was his brother that lived in Brentwood. They had no children, so I work 60+ hrs a week and go home and see my family and put my boys to bed and get across the street to sit with my neighbor and stay with him at night. His only brother was coming down 4 times a week to “help” me and then his brother got Covid and just passed away a few days ago. So not only has this man lost his wife but now his brother within 2 months, oh and on top of that his lymphoma has came back with a vengeance and chemotherapy is kicking his butt. To say I literally have to bathe numerous times an evening in sanitizer is an understatement cause I can’t take a chance of me bringing it to him cause it would probably be a death sentence for him and even though I believe I’d be fine if I got it, I just wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I gave it to him. So yes it’s real and around certain people it can be fatal so some common sense goes a long ways

Crosshairy

I've read that the antibodies are short lived, less than 90 days or so, so even though I believe I have had it, I doubt I still have antibodies floating around.
One of my coworkers (early-to-mid 60's in age) and his wife both got it back in April.

He did poorly and had to stay on an oxygen-concentrating machine at home and sleep in an inclined position in a recliner to keep fluid from pooling up in his lungs. His wife, on the other hand, had very mild symptoms and was the type of case that everyone points to when they say "this virus isn't so bad".

They both agreed to participate in follow-up blood draws a month later to help doctors study antibody loads. I guess it's not surprising, but his wife had much lower numbers to start with, and hers decreased faster. His antibody load was way higher initially and seemed more sustained. I haven't asked for any updates lately, so I'm not sure if they are still taking numbers from them. Still, it might be interesting to get tested if you suspect you were sick and had significant symptoms.

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.