Cover Crops

Nimrod777

Last year I planted a cover crop-- small, as I'm dealing with only some raised beds in my yard-- for the first time. Went to the Co-op and they directed me towards a bag of coated seed that was just a mix of crimson clover and wheat. While I could do that again, I wanted to see what other recommendations would be, and knowing that I'm not buying much seed by the pound for my small needs, where the best source of seeds might be for anyone else's specific approach and practices.

WTM

for raised beds i just mulch with wheat straw never have done cover crop in raised beds as i always just added compost as i needed it.

in my big garden, it depends on what i need to do with the soil. if i need more nitrogen then i plant crimson clover, cowpeas or austrian winter peas mixed in with wheat or oats as a nurse crop in a ratio of 2/3 to 1/3. if i need more bio mass or a cover for weed suppression then its majority of non-legumes grains like oats, wheat, etc. in the same ratio of 2/3 to 1/3.

careful about non legumes and working into the soil. do it a few weeks before you plant so that it has begun to break down. if not, it will tie up too much nitrogen and nutrients while breaking down and whatever you plant wont grow.

keep in mind that crimson clover, oats, cow peas and some others can winter kill and need to be planted in august. this late in the year i would plant austrian winter peas. the shoots are edible as well. come spring kill it and mix in the soil. instant compost.

Nimrod777

Thanks, that's solid info, WTM. Do you just head to the local co-op and ask for austrian winter peas?

Last year if I had any winter kill in my crimson clover, it wasn't noticed, and I had plenty in the Spring still going strong. In fact, in several instances I left it in the ground if I was able to plant adjacent to it. Figured it would keep some weeds down and continue drawing nitrogen into the soil.

When I prepped for planting I mostly just turned the wheat and clover over with a fork, and let it go for a few weeks.

WTM

my co-op sells austrian winter peas by the pound, as little or as much as you want.

this year is supposed to be a warmer winter as well, so the clover and would probably make it into spring.

WTM

i made a tool to crimp it down at flowering. it breaks the stem and kills the plants. in a raised bed id just cut it at the base, kind of rake it in and plant thru it. the natural way to soil building is top down, that is it will decompose and feed the soil from the top to bottom without having to till it in.

here is the way i do the bigger gardens:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=345084&hilit=crops

here is a topic on nitrogen and planting rates for soil balance:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=350485&p=4472432&hilit=crops#p4472432

the advantage of all this? i use zero synthetic fertilizer now and the only organic fertilizer that i use is tomato tone and fish emulsion for tomatoes, squash, cukes, peppers. this year i used zero insecticide, didnt have to. i think synthetic fertilizers kind of attract bugs by making the plants more bitter. i did use some neem oil for aphids on tomatoes.

yield was good. i filled up the freezer and gave a lot of stuff away to folks that wanted some food.

Nimrod777

Thanks for the tutorial. I still plan to look for winter peas, but I did end up coming home with red clover seed after a visit to a local ag center in Kentucky. I went up to see my son, and a family from the church owned the business, so I shmoozed a bit on his behalf. :D

I do remember following your thread on crimping down your cover crop! I'll try to keep learning a little bit each year. Thank you

Latest posts