County fair rides. Are they safe

mossyoakmantn

My son was at the Robertson Co fair this past saturday and he and his GF were on a ride called the dropper. The ride was over and coming down when they heard a metallic metal breaking noise.. metal rods and bolts hit the ground. Luckily they were about 20 ft off the ground but it still came down hard. They got off the ride and the carny acted like nothing happened. I NEVER get on rides. If I cant control the speed or brakes in not getting on it!

TAFKAP

Not safe. Assuming even 100% competency of the operators and erectors, there's too much reliance on cheap assembly. Cheap fasteners are used in place of structural bolts, plywood/pallet board/treated lumber used in place of legitimate ground bearing material, and other not visible considerations.

It's total crap, and I can't believe there's not better oversight.

rem270

Supporter
Used to ride them all the time as a kid when I didn't think about the dangers of them. Now I would never get on one. My friends mom told us a story before that when she was a kid at one she got off one called the Zipper and as soon as it started back one of the cars flew off and hit the ground.

WTM

Supporter
Used to ride them all the time as a kid when I didn't think about the dangers of them. Now I would never get on one. My friends mom told us a story before that when she was a kid at one she got off one called the Zipper and as soon as it started back one of the cars flew off and hit the ground.
man the zipper was awesome along with the rock and roll over.

Kirk

Supporter
Town to town. Probably lose all kinds of parts during the repeated assembly and disassembly. Bet most of the pins are bent and the associated holes are wallowed out. Cross threaded bolts and stripped nuts. Nothing safe about them at all.

Planking

We went one night and on the second ride this guy was paying more attention to rap lyrics than to his job and luckily the emergency seat belt shutoff worked and the person wasn't ejected. We left and did not go back.

rem270

Supporter
man the zipper was awesome along with the rock and roll over.
What was the one that went in a circle that felt like 100mph and would suck you back in the seat where you could hardly move. I remember doing it and myself and friends would turn upside down on it lol. I got off it one time and felt like crap the rest of the night.

Planking

What was the one that went in a circle that felt like 100mph and would suck you back in the seat where you could hardly move. I remember doing it and myself and friends would turn upside down on it lol. I got off it one time and felt like crap the rest of the night.
Gravatron. We rode that one first the other night.

WTM

Supporter
yep thats it, it had a locking handle too. we used to spin it at the top and lock it so that we were going down like a face plant then spin it again at the bottom and go upside down to the top.

edit: your thinking of the roundup. the rock and roll over was like a ferris wheel but the round cars would spin as you went around.

WTM

Supporter
yep thats it, it had a locking handle too. we used to spin it at the top and lock it so that we were going down like a face plant then spin it again at the bottom and go upside down to the top.

edit: your thinking of the roundup. the rock and roll over was like a ferris wheel but the round cars would spin as you went around.
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Latest posts