Country ham

woodyard

Ok I have a 32 lb real country ham. I have smoked,baked, done "lard can method" on em before.
Thinking about smoking this one. Anybody got any other great methods of cooking this thing.

DaveB

You mean fresh off the piggie? Not cured or smoked already? That would be delicious. I think I would cut a slice off and fry it up. As for the rest, i dunno. I thought you had to wrap it up in salt and cure it and smoke it

mike243

A double smoked ham is supposed to be the best,throw the hickory to it til it hits a good internal temp is what I would do

woodyard

Forvols":hraiovnb said:
woodyard":hraiovnb said:
It is smoked and salt cured.1 1/2 year old now I think. The real deal. Thinking about smoking cooking as on the charcoal smoker for probably 10-15 hrs.

We need a picture of that ham 32lbs, shoot I feel small smoking 8-10lb pork butts now.

The same guy gave me one two years ago that was 50-60 lbs.

Forvols

Mike Belt":1hpdvslf said:
Whatever I did to it afterwards I'd first have to knock off a couple of slices for frying and redeye gravy over some biscuits.

Yep that right there with some lard biscuits and fried eggs and fried taters ...do it up. You need to at least taste and sample as it is. As you know this aint no Food city store bought country ham.

Forvols

woodyard":1acui1pu said:
It is smoked and salt cured.1 1/2 year old now I think. The real deal. Thinking about smoking cooking as on the charcoal smoker for probably 10-15 hrs.

Woodyard, I don't know that I would mess with it other than test it out see how the flavors are..then I would debone cut up into chunks..smoke/season the chunks for what you want. Or just hang it and leave for 6-8months.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Man that brings back the memories.

I can remember my mom using a scrub brush to clean the mold off the outside and my dad using his handsaw to cut the hock off.
Break out the big butcher knife and slice it on the kitchen table.
Fried with redeye gravy, biscuits, scrambled eggs and all the sweet tea you could drink.

Wow, I'm hungry now! LOL

woodyard

Well the woodyard team has it going. Water pan and charcoal pan rusted through but we improvised with flashing and a dutch oven. Needed a new bigger smoker. I used to do these years ago when we would have 20 plus over on Christmas Day. Not this big though. Start it about 9:00 pm on Christmas Eve and take it up about 10 or so on Christmas Day. Have to check it to add water and charcoal thru the night. Pretty good stuff. This one may be an all day and nighter big as it is. Lil Bo will help me keep an eye on it. :lol:

woodyard

RUGER":33zi1bvd said:

I can remember my mom using a scrub brush to clean the mold off the outside and my dad using his handsaw to cut the hock off.
Fried with redeye gravy, biscuits, scrambled eggs and all the sweet tea you could drink.

Wow, I'm hungry now! LOL
Yep we used to have a smokehouse with several from the "hog killing" when I was a kid. I still did some even after my Dad passed away in 68. I learned how to do everything from shooting the hog to curing out the hams.

The last one we did we killed nine hogs in one day. And then finished it through the next two or so. Talk about worked out. After that just hauled the to the processor and I would get the hams and midlins and cure them still. Been years since I did that. Talk about the good ole days.

A country boy can survive.

Wildcat

RUGER":40pw3zot said:

Wow, I'm hungry now! LOL

Same here.

Mike Belt

We used to kill hogs every Fall. We almost had Memphis State come out and film a dying southern art while we were scalding and butchering them but they backed out. Cured our own hams and slabs of bacon also. Made our own sausage. Man those fresh tenderloins fried up were great but you have to be careful eating green pork.

woodyard

This thing is gonna be awesome.

That thin slice you saw in picture is where I had to saw off another inch on the hock end to get the thing in the smoker. Just checked on it and that slice looked done, so me and the dog had to sample it to make sure it was worth all the trouble.

We think it will be!

Latest posts