Could both be true?

Headhunter

When I shot loads with either Remington core lokt bullets or nosler ballistic tips, 140 gr leaving the barrel at over 3500 fps, they killed, dropped in their tracks dead. But at ranges of less than 150 yards, I got an entrance hole the size of a softball or bigger and no exit. Beyond that the exit hole was big enough to drop a hat in and they "gelatinized" deer. They did damage.

Been shooting accubonds and long range accubonds mostly and get an exit, not a devastating meat damaging hole, and they rarely take a step, with my 26 Nosler (142 gr) or 7MMSTW (mostly 160 or 168 gr.). They perform great.

With that said, last few weeks I have been hunting with a 50 cal flintlock.

Bone Collector

I have shot two deer way low where they mule kicked but wouldn't have died. Luckily I was able to shoot both a 2nd time. One time the hair was burned off below the brisket(didn't even break the skin) but it mule kicked like a heart shot.
my son did this on the Juvi hunt last year. I thought he killed the buck and we never found anything. I went back the next morning and walked the whole block of woods, looked for buzzards etc.

GRIT

I'm going to say you brunt his Brisket. Thats why you only found one drop of blood. Happens to all of us sooner or later.

Last edited:

fairchaser

Sanchez is exactly right. I have a.270 hand loaded and have had to many with no exit hole under 50yds. I'm shooting around 2850fps 150gr Hornady. What happens is just like with a muzzleloader at close range, it's weird.

Shot a doe last year quartering away slipped between both shoulders and no exit. 40yds

Shot a spike head on base of neck no exit. 20yds

Little 8pt running hit behind shoulder hit rib going in no exit. 30yds in snow at BSF never found it.

Coyote 3 in under 5min. All under 50yds all no exit.

Nice 6pt mule kick spraying everywhere. 20yds good exit hole. But no blood for 50 yds the 20yds of it everywhere but wasn't needed I could see him

1pt(unicorn) 75,50,40,20 yds (yes 4 shots 1deer) kept running too me in a field all in4" circle open sights 3 exits 1 no exit.

These are just my experiences with this rifle. And with all this I'll still use it. I did buy 350 legend after shooting my daughters but. Remington 270 pump is my go to with open sights up to 200 I'll dump 5rds real quick
That's great information Madbowh, I haven't always analyzed my shots but I do now. I want to know where I hit versus where I aimed or thought I hit and what the bullet did and how the animal reacted after the shot. I haven't lost any confidence in this load or bullet yet. It's worked well for me for many years. This is the first deer I've lost that I know I hit. I hope it's the last!

backyardtndeer

Time to break out the .308 buddy. ;)
With my 178 grain eldx handloads, I have had great results at both close and medium ranges, all have dropped in their tracks

Interesting seeing some of the replies on corelokts. Before I started reloading, I hunted with a 270 for many years using 150 grain corelokts. Never lost a single deer with them, probably killed around 30 deer and some other animals with them. I did use 130 grain Winchester power point plus one full season, and killed 2 or 3 bucks and a doe with them, then the next season on opening morning I shot a nice 8 point at about 35 yards with that round and never found that deer. I did have a chunk of bone and blood at the point I hit him though. I went back to the corelokts.

Remi

That's great information Madbowh, I haven't always analyzed my shots but I do now. I want to know where I hit versus where I aimed or thought I hit and what the bullet did and how the animal reacted after the shot. I haven't lost any confidence in this load or bullet yet. It's worked well for me for many years. This is the first deer I've lost that I know I hit. I hope it's the last!

Fill up some 1 gallon jugs with water and shoot them at 25yds or so.

Here is a 145 Speer for comparison. 6 jugs is strong

Last edited:

Remi

I plan to do that today.

I tried to post a link but it's invisible

Fill up some milk jugs with water and shoot them with the 150gr load and see how they perform. You can go to the Nosler reloading forum under bullet tests and see how the 150 Speer did as a comparison. It went 6 jugs, which is excellent.

Latest posts