Cost of corn

Columbia Scott

I put out three trail cameras today with corn but a 50 lb. bag of shelled corn at CoOp was $8.00! That's $3.00 more than last year. I like to put the corn in front of the cameras but at that price I need some cheaper alternatives. What do you use? I thought about C'mere deer or sweet feed. What else do deer like? Should I just place the cams where I know deer hang out? On trails?

DMD

Man, I wish I could get corn for $8!!! Here it is over $11 for a 50lbs bag at the co-op!!! Trophy Rock is more expensive and my experience they don't last much longer than corn. I use salt licks. I have looked for a cheaper alternative to corn, but haven't found anything yet. Maybe a bale of clover hay?

Trevor2

pastorbmp said:
Man, I wish I could get corn for $8!!! Here it is over $11 for a 50lbs bag at the co-op!!! Trophy Rock is more expensive and my experience they don't last much longer than corn. I use salt licks. I have looked for a cheaper alternative to corn, but haven't found anything yet. Maybe a bale of clover hay?

$13 a 50 lb bag at the co-op in wartburg! I like to have stroked. I have a guy I can get it for 12 a 100 but wont get any in till winter, so Im gonna stock pile this winter.

Columbia Scott

I guess I shouldn't complain at $8.00 per bag. Wal Mart has Remington Trophy corn for $9.50 a bag but it's only 40 lbs. I have bought it when I can't get to the co-op when they are open. I have heard that you can take a 55 gallon drum down to Ethridge or Lawrenceburg and the Amish farmers can fix you up a little cheaper. The landowner we lease from breaks the foodplot ground in August.

Trevor2

Columbia Scott said:
I just do it to get them to pose in front of the camera. I also noticed they were much heavier during hunting season when I put a couple hundred pounds a week out.

I also just do it to get pics so I know whats in the area. Bc the spot I hunt where I put the majority of my corn out at, they never use the same trail two days in a row. I have literally hunted there and seen the same buck come from 3 different corners of a 25 acre field three differents days. So it just helps me get pics more often through the summer.

Rubberduck270

Columbia Scott said:
I guess I shouldn't complain at $8.00 per bag. Wal Mart has Remington Trophy corn for $9.50 a bag but it's only 40 lbs. I have bought it when I can't get to the co-op when they are open. I have heard that you can take a 55 gallon drum down to Ethridge or Lawrenceburg and the Amish farmers can fix you up a little cheaper. The landowner we lease from breaks the foodplot ground in August.

If you can find an Amish that will sell it to you that way it will be alot cheaper but alot of them sell by the bag like co-op. Last time I bought from them they were $7 per bag where as co-op was $9.

Truedouble

The minerals that leach into the soil from TR's last for years so just b/c the actual rock is gone doesn't mean there is nothing left. Actually the opposite. I have several mineral stations where there is a 4 ft. in dia. and 2 ft. deep hole in the ground from putting a TR there 4 years ago. I try to put out a new TR at each station every year but sometimes I don't. The deer will still use them either way but $10-15 per year per station isn't very expensive. The only time I use corn is if I'm putting out a camera over a new mineral station. I think the corn gets them using the spot quicker and then after finding the corn and TR I quit putting out the corn.

Winchester

Truedouble said:
The minerals that leach into the soil from TR's last for years so just b/c the actual rock is gone doesn't mean there is nothing left. Actually the opposite. I have several mineral stations where there is a 4 ft. in dia. and 2 ft. deep hole in the ground from putting a TR there 4 years ago. I try to put out a new TR at each station every year but sometimes I don't. The deer will still use them either way but $10-15 per year per station isn't very expensive. The only time I use corn is if I'm putting out a camera over a new mineral station. I think the corn gets them using the spot quicker and then after finding the corn and TR I quit putting out the corn.
Exactly, loose trace mineral salt @ about $8 for a 50 lb bag will do just as good if not better than the TR.

Truedouble

I thought summer time was when deer crave minerals and salt. Sure, they will eat corn 12 months out of the year, but the most economical way to reach your objective of getting pictures of deer is minerals, IMO. Not saying corn doesn't help too, especially with new mineral stations.

Latest posts