Corn & Fertilizer

catman529

All I know is corn, like other grasses, likes a lot of nitrogen. This is why corn and beans are so often alternated crops in the same field. The beans (legume) contain nitrogen fixing bacteria so the soil is more enriched for the corn. Sorry that strays from your question. Someone might suggest a specific fertilizer to use, but I never use fert except for the miracle gro potting mix to grow my seedlings in before planting out.

bigtex

Re: Corn & Fertilizer

I broadcast 6-12-12 in my garden and till it in before planting anything, corn included. I side dress 6-12-12 when my corn is up about a foot tall then side dress again when it starts putting on ears.
There are probably better fertilizers specifically for growing corn but as I use 6-12-12 for all my plants it is the easiest method for me and I have always had good results doing it this way.
Remember.........all the fertilizer in the world will not do much good if the PH of the soil is not correct. If in doubt do a soil test and lime accordingly.
Catman is correct about legumes and nitrogen, that is one of the reasons I also plant beans along side my corn.

woodchuckc

Corn definitely responds well to nitrogen. You can almost watch it grow in real time if you side dress it after it gets 6"-12" tall provided there is adequate moisture. I would go with as high a nitrogen fertilizer as you can get or afford twice (once after it gets about a foot tall and once at about tasseling time). The good thing is that unlike tomatoes and many other veggies, the nitrogen doesn't make the plant bigger at the expense of a reduced yield.

As catman said, rotating beans, peas or other legumes with corn will help cut the amount of nitrogen you apply to the corn. Also, if you have a big enough place that you can rotate where you plant your corn patch and leave it fallow, sowing it with clover every other year will do the same thing.

AT Hiker

catman529 said:
All I know is corn, like other grasses, likes a lot of nitrogen. This is why corn and beans are so often alternated crops in the same field. The beans (legume) contain nitrogen fixing bacteria so the soil is more enriched for the corn. Sorry that strays from your question. Someone might suggest a specific fertilizer to use, but I never use fert except for the miracle gro potting mix to grow my seedlings in before planting out.

N fixation is a big factor, but rotation for cultural pest control is probably a bigger factor on the Corn-Bean rotation.

With that said, it is very wise to rotate your garden crops as well. Certain diseases and virus that affect one species can affect another as well. So rotation is key, all the fertilizer in the world will not help if the plant is effected with a virus.

Weed control is important too. Corn is a grass, so it needs lots of N for the newer varieties. N causes plenty of weed competition growth. Johnson grass will likely be a factor, you just need to hand weed it until the corn can shade it out.

TX300mag

I broadcast 13-13-13 before tilling and planting, and generously. When stalks are approching 10-12" I side dress with 21-0-0 and lay the dirt by the stalks. I'd use 34-0-0 if I could find it, but all I can find is Ammonium Sulfate :( . One the stalks are just barely short enough that I can still run over them with the tractor I do it again.

HeadHunter23

I'm with the guys who are recommending the 21-0-0 and 34-0-0. Especially side dress. If you want to apply the P and K, do so in the fall. It takes months for the phosphorus to become to readily available to the plant. I would try something like 15-15-15 in the fall, then come back with 21-0-0 or 34-0-0 side dress and at tassel. You can also buy foliar nitrogen products that are gradual released. These can be sprayed directly on the plant.