Coon hunters ?

rem270

I have looked for years for insight from and honest coon hunter but still to this day have never met an honest one. If you let your dogs loose on just a 50 acre property you know good and well it's going to go off that property and since you let them loose you have no regard for someone else's property.

My small property was 81 acres when I started hunting it. The landowner at the time let his family hunt it, as he should have but they gave no regard to anyone's property or how they felt about it. You could track where they went the night before by following their beer cans they left in the woods. I see one of the guys once a year and he asks every year for permission to coon hunt now that I own it and my answer is always no. If they could keep them on my 88 acres I wouldn't mind a bit. But I know how they are and don't give a shi*t about anyone's property lines and I wouldn't do that to my neighbors.

bluedogman

Despite what y'all think there is good honest coon hunters around. We're just far and few between unfortunately. … and we're not as popular as the deer hunters due to there just ain't as many. I've met what you're calling "bad" hunters of all types and yes that includes deer hunters. If you spend any amount of time at all with other hunters you'll have a bad apple ruin the batch. But out of curiosity… out of so many here bashing coon hunters how many of y'all have actually hunted with someone that had some real coon dogs? And actually gave the sport a try..
I'm not picking a fight by any means here so please don't take it that way
I'm not saying that I'm this perfect saint that's never done any wrong cause I'm sure the deer hunters have done the same.
I'm just giving some in put from a different perspective…. A coon hunters perspective….

Planking

Ive been coon hunting. The dogs would run the coon until it became exhausted and ran up a tree. We were then told to shoot them in the butt to wound them so they would come down out of the tree. The dogs would then gang up on the outnumbered wounded coon and rip it to shreds. I found it distasteful myself.

There are plenty of good coon hunters around, they aren't bad people, some of them just act like they can do whatever they want on others property like alot of dog hunters and dog owners. You don't have right to run all over everyone else. You act like that like and get ready to get pushed right back!!!

bluedogman

You've got good and bad in all people man..
We can all agree on that
I know some coon hunters just wound the coon and let the dogs have it. Personally I don't because a coon can tare a dog up. My dogs health and the vet bills ain't worth that ..and it shows lack of respect for nature it's self.
I wasn't trying to stir the pot with my previous comment I was just trying to explain from another's perspective that's all.
If I struck a nerve I apologize.

Planking

No need to apologize man i just deal with dogs CONSTANTLY on my property and sometimes its coon hunters, sometimes its hog hunters, sometimes its just irresponsible dog owners. There was a giant pit bull in my yard today. I killed a different pit bull a few weeks ago. If a coon dog runs across my property tonight its gonna tick me off. Its ridiculous how little respect some dog owners have for others. It all adds up to be a huge and constant problem for me and other people.

Huntaholic

Hmmmm, well I GUESS it gets by the code of conduct here since we have never "met", otherwise, I would be for filing a complaint against calling another member a LIAR AND DISHONEST! That sir is slander and defamation of character. Call me a liar and dishonest to my face and see how that turns out. Youre free to tell me every coonhunter you know is those things, I wont argue that with you, but when you cast me in that same shadow, I wont stand for that. Its not my fault if you only meet "coonhunters" at the bar or brothel on saturday night. Like I said earlier, I knew I shouldnt have came in here, I just cant stand the misinformation that gets spread around on this topic.

Last edited:

timberjack86

I have looked for years for insight from and honest coon hunter but still to this day have never met an honest one. If you let your dogs loose on just a 50 acre property you know good and well it's going to go off that property and since you let them loose you have no regard for someone else's property.

My small property was 81 acres when I started hunting it. The landowner at the time let his family hunt it, as he should have but they gave no regard to anyone's property or how they felt about it. You could track where they went the night before by following their beer cans they left in the woods. I see one of the guys once a year and he asks every year for permission to coon hunt now that I own it and my answer is always no. If they could keep them on my 88 acres I wouldn't mind a bit. But I know how they are and don't give a shi*t about anyone's property lines and I wouldn't do that to my neighbors.
Alot of us honest coon hunters don't hunt anymore because of the drama and lack of large tracts to hunt. It's not worth having a dog shot or getting confrontational with landowners over having to retrieve a dog. There's some that say go ahead and get your dog and there's some that say I'm going to shoot your $2500 coondog when I see it. I hung it up and never looked back.

Last edited:

Tweeter

Iv coon hunted most my life and most coon hunters are assholes! That being said, my dogs have got places they shouldn't have been and even having a GPS tracker on them it happens. Iv been met by angry land owners and also met by old farmers who used to coon hunt and enjoyed hearing my dogs work a track. When I met a pissed land owner I always apologized and told them I was simply getting my dog and going back to the land I had permission. It happens, me as a hunter was just as annoyed as the land owner most of the time.

timberjack86

Iv coon hunted most my life and most coon hunters are assholes! That being said, my dogs have got places they shouldn't have been and even having a GPS tracker on them it happens. Iv been met by angry land owners and also met by old farmers who used to coon hunt and enjoyed hearing my dogs work a track. When I met a pissed land owner I always apologized and told them I was simply getting my dog and going back to the land I had permission. It happens, me as a hunter was just as annoyed as the land owner most of the time.
Most of the coonhunters I grew up hunting around we're not butt holes. Most were friends and family. Now when we traveled to some competition hunts you would meet some real winners then. Most pleasure hunters I knew just wanted to listen to the dogs work a track. Things must have changed in the last 15 years or so since I quit coon hunting.

tnpoorboy

The never ending coonhunter problem continues and I would like an official reccomendation on how to handle the situation.

Coon hunters are putting their dogs out on a small parcel of land they have gained permission to hunt. I have no problems with legal hunting of any sort. The problem is the trespassing, dogs running everywhere, and the excuses for the dogs being where they don't belong. Also the late hours which they will run the dogs.

Our LGD gets worked up by the running dogs, flashlights, and trespassers and will bark the entire remainder of the night.(Doing its job keeping dogs and people out of our sheep) Our livestock also get antagonized by the nightime disruption. This will happen 2-5 nights a week, take a break, then back on again several nights in a row.

I have spoken with the neighbors who do NOT allow hunting and they have not given permission, but are reluctant to "waste their time" prosecuting.

Repeated calls to the TWRA poaching hotline have yielded ... Nothing. No call backs. No officers driving by. Nothing.

Is this a Sheriffs office issue only? A TWRA officer issue? How can I get relief from the trespassing, poaching, and all night activity on and around m problem just give the coonhunter permission y property? To hunt say like ok you can hunt Thursday and Saturday if you do this it would help with your problem thanks for listening

No

Despite what y'all think there is good honest coon hunters around. We're just far and few between unfortunately. … and we're not as popular as the deer hunters due to there just ain't as many. I've met what you're calling "bad" hunters of all types and yes that includes deer hunters. If you spend any amount of time at all with other hunters you'll have a bad apple ruin the batch. But out of curiosity… out of so many here bashing coon hunters how many of y'all have actually hunted with someone that had some real coon dogs? And actually gave the sport a try..
I'm not picking a fight by any means here so please don't take it that way
I'm not saying that I'm this perfect saint that's never done any wrong cause I'm sure the deer hunters have done the same.
I'm just giving some in put from a different perspective…. A coon hunters perspective….
Grew up huntin' black and tans. You ever hear of Steve Lilly or Ray Lilly from south GA?

LILLY's SOUTHERN BLACK & TANS
ukc.gif

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

I worked with Steve AT&T. I know they came up to Shelbyville to hunt back a few years.

Last edited:

ImThere

Look, I support all kinds of hunting with dogs. But dog owners that disregard private property rights is a problem everywhere

I own rabbit hounds. I ran deer hounds for years in Alabama.

If deer hunters can stop 10 walkers on a dime while running a deer then coon hunters can stop their dogs too. In December the ADHA turned over 100 deer hounds loose on an Alabama WMA twice for two days and not a single dog left the property. Tone breaking will save everyone a lot of headaches.
Amen!

GreeneGriz

IF it is so difficult to get a TWRA agent to respond, would I be better served calling the sheriffs office and trying to get a tresspassing citation issued, possibly an Armed Trespassing arrest?

Lets face it. These type of "hunters" get off on breaking the hunting laws. From the lame excuses of "dogs cant read signs" to "Sorry I was in your barn, I'm just looking for my coon dog" Its obvious that hunting without permission citation is zero deterrent. The way the laws and enforcement are set up, its actually encourages these outlaws and discourages landowners.

I am considering asking our county commission to pass an ordinance severely limiting coon hunting. IF the bad actors can't behave they are going to ruin it for everyone.
That's the spirit… make laws to limit coonhunting. And then they'll be making laws to limit your type of hunting. Brilliant Einstein.

GreeneGriz

The dogs bothering mine haven't been the problem it's the pos cutting the fence to get them or their vehicle through and then I'm chasing cows for 2 days and fixing fence.
I've coonhunted my entire life with hundreds of different people and never known a coonhunter to cut a fence. Lol. No sense in embellishing your story to gain sympathy.
Post your property and confront them and they won't be backZ problem solved.