Coon hunters ?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I don't coon hunt anymore but if my dog was bothering livestock, people's trash or running deer I'm gonna shoot it! I have very little patience for a trashy dog.
I had a buddy from college that coon hunted back then. He had some great dogs and won some hunts. He would totally shoot his dog that ran a deer and once he's got his best female because she started treeing opossums too much.

For the life of me, I do not understand how coon hunters know (and they do know) that their dog will "go where they will", yet still cut them loose on 100 acres, even 500 acres. Those dogs WILL be on someone else's property, and they know it, and they don't care.

Chickencoop96

I had a buddy from college that coon hunted back then. He had some great dogs and won some hunts. He would totally shoot his dog that ran a deer and once he's got his best female because she started treeing opossums too much.

For the life of me, I do not understand how coon hunters know (and they do know) that their dog will "go where they will", yet still cut them loose on 100 acres, even 500 acres. Those dogs WILL be on someone else's property, and they know it, and they don't care.
There aint many tracts of private land left that are that big.. And there are only a few wma's that are large enough for that. The real problem is honestly lack of huntable land

knightrider

There aint many tracts of private land left that are that big.. And there are only a few wma's that are large enough for that. The real problem is honestly lack of huntable land
The real problem is their honesty when it comes to trespassing, its not hard to get permission to coon hunt or retrieve your muts

mike243

Stepdad had a redtick that was a Grand Nite champ, he would go for miles till he found 1 to run and tree, no he couldn't read either, learned to not volunteer to go run him for a little while when I had to work the next day . It's tough to find a good spot to run them these days, had 10-15 in my yard about 10 years ago at about 1:00 am. probably turned loose on a little cut through road 1/2 mile from me

GreeneGriz

I own land in 4 counties. I've never had any issues out of a guy(s) coonhunting ,stranger or someone I know, and/or going to their dogs, and I am glad they continue to carry on the tradition and hope they shoot out every nest raiding raccoon they tree. I have had sheds and barns shot by deer hunters road hunting, stealing cameras and stands, and the same from turkey "hunters". The coonhunting has never bothered deer movement on my land either.
Some of y'all just like to whine and complain that some occasional fella may stray through your place in the middle of the night to go to his hound. Why in the hell would anyone be upset about some guy dedicated enough to his hounds, going to his dogs that have wandered into your property? 99.9999% of Coonhunters aren't the problem. Are y'all bored and just want to find ways to create more drama in your insignificant lives?
Post the land and have a contact number on the sign and 99% will call and get permission. Hopefully y'all won't be an arse and let a fellow sportsman go to his dog and do you a favor by killing a turkey killing rabies spreading varmint from your property.

Last edited:

ImThere

I own land in 4 counties. I've never had any issues out of a guy(s) coonhunting ,stranger or someone I know, and/or going to their dogs, and I am glad they continue to carry on the tradition and hope they shoot out every nest raiding raccoon they tree. I have had sheds and barns shot by deer hunters road hunting, stealing cameras and stands, and the same from turkey "hunters". The coonhunting has never bothered deer movement on my land either.
Some of y'all just like to whine and complain that some occasional fella may stray through your place in the middle of the night to go to his hound. Why in the hell would anyone be upset about some guy dedicated enough to his hounds, going to his dogs that have wandered into your property? 99.9999% of Coonhunters aren't the problem. Are y'all bored and just want to find ways to create more drama in your insignificant lives?
Post the land and have a contact number on the sign and 99% will call and get permission. Hopefully y'all won't be an arse and let a fellow sportsman go to his dog and do you a favor by killing a turkey killing rabies spreading varmint from your property.
Bull yugo. All of it
Really shot your shed deer hunting? That's hilarious. You needed to make up yugo to tell us about our insignificant lives?
You have no idea what you've had on your property in four counties. Not even a clue. Except maybe the one you live on.
I don't want anyone on my property. Not anyone. If you haven't been invited stay the hell off. 100.00000% of trespassing is a problem.
My property is marked, half fenced with phone number and they still keep coming.
Why would anyone get upset, getting woke up in the middle of the night, by dogs, followed by men, with guns?
Are you serious Clark?

GreeneGriz

Bull ****. All of it
Really shot your shed deer hunting? That's hilarious. You needed to make up **** to tell us about our insignificant lives?
You have no idea what you've had on your property in four counties. Not even a clue. Except maybe the one you live on.
I don't want anyone on my property. Not anyone. If you haven't been invited stay the hell off. 100.00000% of trespassing is a problem.
My property is marked, half fenced with phone number and they still keep coming.
Why would anyone get upset, getting woke up in the middle of the night, by dogs, followed by men, with guns?
Are you serious Clark?
Wow…. You don't know me and call me a liar. Lol Still looking for an F to give about your opinion. lol

GreeneGriz

Bull ****. All of it
Really shot your shed deer hunting? That's hilarious. You needed to make up **** to tell us about our insignificant lives?
Are you serious Clark?
"Men with guns at night"… lol. Come on Karen…..come back to reality. The few coonhunters that do shoot them out might be packing a single shot 22. Or an $100 old tube fed 22 rifle. Hardly some armed to the teeth meth heads. Get a grip.

hunter0925

I must have had that .0001% on me then. They put out on my property that is fenced, posted, painted and has my number on it. Luckily they were friends with the county cop that showed up so he wrote up the report so that the county wouldn't even attempt to prosecute the trespassing charge.
I don't care if they are getting their dogs, armed with a 22 or a claw hammer. I'm fairly certain I pay the taxes on my land, not them. If a legit call was made I would have helped them get their dogs. Trespass on me and I would as soon so your dog starve and rot at the base of the tree it's at.

ImThere

"Men with guns at night"… lol. Come on Karen…..come back to reality. The few coonhunters that do shoot them out might be packing a single shot 22. Or an $100 old tube fed 22 rifle. Hardly some armed to the teeth meth heads. Get a grip.
armed is armed.
My son a 32 year old marine lives with us. He has a TBI and PSTD what do you think that does to him?
My 19 year old special needs daughter lives with us. She was born missing a chromosome what do you think it does to her?
I travel a lot. My wife is home with our two kids alone 90% of the time when this happens. You think it's ok to scare her?
When I'm home I usually go out and greet the coon hunting trespassers and ask why they didn't call. They say they don't have to. They can go anywhere and get their dogs with or without permission. I'm not ok with that. The last guy it was our third conversation. He's been hunting that property for years and told me he don't give a damn that it has changed hands. I guess we're going to figure that out.
Sorry, I called you a liar it's just hard to believe. I know some stuff is.

Last edited:

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I've personally always tried to contact surrounding property owners and let them know of my presence and a general idea of when I'm going to be hunting. It has worked for the most part and have gained some permission through doing this tactic. I have 2 guidelines I try to follow. I don't hunt during deer season or turkey season with my dogs on tracts of land that people deer/turkey hunt. I will go to a WMA during this time. I've had a few episodes with landowners but they have been resolved through conversation. I have never been a part of fence cutting, cutting donuts, or harassing anyone while coon hunting. Another thing is I typically don't turn out past 9-10pm in areas like that. People tend to be more cooperative at 9-10pm than 1-2am lol

Planking

You come on my place armed at night or not, unnanounced it will be an issue. If you don't have anymore respect than that for people then you need to stay off their land and wait for your dogs. I have no problems with anyone asking to do it. People that think they can do whatever they dang well please because its dark out and they can be sneaks can jump off a tall cliff. That's the reason and the expeiences ive had. No one has ever asked me anything. Im past tired of that attitude. I deal with that attitude all the time at night on my own property, where i sleep at night. Dang right im an arse. If im not i will get run over on my own property by people that have have NO consideration for anyone else. NONE...

GreeneGriz

You come on my place armed at night or not, unnanounced it will be an issue. If you don't have anymore respect than that for people then you need to stay off their land and wait for your dogs. I have no problems with anyone asking to do it. People that think they can do whatever they dang well please because its dark out and they can be sneaks can jump off a tall cliff. That's the reason and the expeiences ive had. No one has ever asked me anything. Im past tired of that attitude. I deal with that attitude all the time at night on my own property, where i sleep at night. Dang right im an arse. If im not i will get run over on my own property by people that have have NO consideration for anyone else. NONE...
You're clueless if you think 99.999% of coonhunters are that way. Your comment also shows you've never had any dealings with coonhunters. You're a typical internet blowhard.

GreeneGriz

I've personally always tried to contact surrounding property owners and let them know of my presence and a general idea of when I'm going to be hunting. It has worked for the most part and have gained some permission through doing this tactic. I have 2 guidelines I try to follow. I don't hunt during deer season or turkey season with my dogs on tracts of land that people deer/turkey hunt. I will go to a WMA during this time. I've had a few episodes with landowners but they have been resolved through conversation. I have never been a part of fence cutting, cutting donuts, or harassing anyone while coon hunting. Another thing is I typically don't turn out past 9-10pm in areas like that. People tend to be more cooperative at 9-10pm than 1-2am lol
It's common sense. And the people blowing the most about it have never had any issues or dealing firsthand with coonhunters because 99% are just like you described.
The ones blowing and threatening what they'd do if they had some coo hunter going to their dogs are just a good example of what's wrong with all the city crap buying 5 acres in the middle of 500 and thinking they control all of not and have no sense how to deal with things the way they've been handled for decades in the country.

GreeneGriz

armed is armed.
My son a 32 year old marine lives with us. He has a TBI and PSTD what do you think that does to him?
My 19 year old special needs daughter lives with us. She was born missing a chromosome what do you think it does to her?
I travel a lot. My wife is home with our two kids alone 90% of the time when this happens. You think it's ok to scare her?
When I'm home I usually go out and greet the coon hunting trespassers and ask why they didn't call. They say they don't have to. They can go anywhere and get their dogs with or without permission. I'm not ok with that. The last guy it was our third conversation. He's been hunting that property for years and told me he don't give a damn that it has changed hands. I guess we're going to figure that out.
Sorry, I called you a liar it's just hard to believe. I know some stuff is.
How would a coonhunter walking across your back 40 to a dog barking contribute negatively to anything you claim you kids suffer from??
Sounds like your attitude probably contributes more to their anxiety than anything. If a post on a talk forum gets you so bent and violent, I can only imagine how you handle things in person.

GreeneGriz

I must have had that .0001% on me then. They put out on my property that is fenced, posted, painted and has my number on it. Luckily they were friends with the county cop that showed up so he wrote up the report so that the county wouldn't even attempt to prosecute the trespassing charge.
I don't care if they are getting their dogs, armed with a 22 or a claw hammer. I'm fairly certain I pay the taxes on my land, not them. If a legit call was made I would have helped them get their dogs. Trespass on me and I would as soon so your dog starve and rot at the base of the tree it's at.
the last sentence in your hysterical rant proves you don't much about laws regarding hounds and what happens when you deny access to someone to get their hounds. Might want to brush up on the law before you have to sign the deed of your land over to a coonhunter who's dogs you injured or killed lol

ImThere

How would a coonhunter walking across your back 40 to a dog barking contribute negatively to anything you claim you kids suffer from??
Sounds like your attitude probably contributes more to their anxiety than anything. If a post on a talk forum gets you so bent and violent, I can only imagine how you handle things in person.
have a good day.

Latest posts