Coon hunters ?

Mattt

Yea been down all the roads about this. It doesn't change anything. That's why told how I have to handle it. Others may have better results with other methods. Just this season I have all my trail cameras moved to the road to catch trespassers. Never ending battle.best of luck to the op.

Mattt

I am a fellow houndsman and I can assure you the biggest part of us would never intentionally let our hunting dogs that we raise,train and care for as members of our own family onto land that we weren't allowed to hunt.And I would suggest that just because someone's hunting dog crosses your property in pursuit of or hunting game you don't shoot it. This could be a very costly decision on your part,and if we're gonna limit some hunting i suggest we close deer season the 30 of November so we don't have to bother you folks while we're chasing ole buggs bunny around the pine thicket (not sure if you are aware of it or not but we have the same right to be in the woods as you do as well as our hounds day or night.)

Hunter79

Matt I'm not sure why you keep quoting my post and talking about you have no right to trespass?I have never stated it was ok nor do I agree with it,but killing a man's hunting dog just because it interrupted your sleep or crosses your property line is wrong.If someone is trespassing deal with them and not there hounds.Sure there is bad apples in all hunting but I don't agree with labeling all of them for the actions of few.I'm sure I will get a lot of crap for this statement so I will go ahead and say it's much easier to jump on the band wagon than it is to stand in front of it!!!!!!

Mattt

Matt I'm not sure why you keep quoting my post and talking about you have no right to trespass?I have never stated it was ok nor do I agree with it,but killing a man's hunting dog just because it interrupted your sleep or crosses your property line is wrong.If someone is trespassing deal with them and not there hounds.Sure there is bad apples in all hunting but I don't agree with labeling all of them for the actions of few.I'm sure I will get a lot of crap for this statement so I will go ahead and say it's much easier to jump on the band wagon than it is to stand in front of it!!!!!!
Apologies if I'm singling you out that wasn't my intention, was attempting to address the points you brought up. Yes I shot a dog. Yes it was taken up with the owner on multiple occasions, yes Leo was involved yes he was charged with trespassing, some kind of vandalism charge and something else I don't recall. I was not charged. You made the comment about other hunters having just as much right to be there but that is not true on private property and that's what the original post was about. Trespassing.

Mattt

And folks wonder why hunting with hounds is a slowly dying sport. not enough space to run them properly anymore, but it also don't help their case when they cut fences and tear up property.
Yea. I had a conversation with a guy one time. He just couldn't understand why he couldn't run his pups whenever and wherever he wanted. Told him I load mine in the truck and go places that are big enough and legal to do so and he should do the same instead of turning out I. Peoples yards. He said I was crazy he's been hunting there forever and was gonna continue to do so and there was nothing I could do about it. He was incorrect. It is a shame really.

Lilbuckgetter

I have coon hunted quite a bit through the years but quit a long time ago and have dealt with a lot of pains in the a** from landowners that hate us. Look at it from both sides before you get all high and mighty and start with the trespassing and poaching. We could let the dogs loose on a section of property that we have permission to be on that's 100 acres and the dogs would go where ever they want and end up a the neighbor's. You DON'T control where they hunt, plain and simple!! I can promise you too that if anyone shot my dog, they better hope I couldn't find them! Any time that I had to go get them off the tree on some one else's property, I would try to find the owner if it wasn't too late or just quickly and quietly as I could go get them. Its not like we would start the night out thinking, "lets go see how many people we can piss off!" Now, there are those rednecks that just don't care too, I have seen them drive through people's property and tear it up with no regard to respect. In all, just chill out. Season will be over soon. And as far as livestock, I have NEVER seen a coon hound bother them.
That's the reaction they want u to have but the correct way to handle it is to call local sheriffs department and make them fill out civil case for destruction of property. Caus that is ur dog! And they also have to prove that it was molesting there animals, if no visible proof of it the balls in ur court.. ps u decide what the dog is worth to u whether it be 500$ or 50,000$ and dont move the dog until there has been multiple witness have seen that's gonna make it or break it! Ur welcome! I highly advise everyone on this topic to listen to the houndsman podcast b4 u try to shoot a man's cop dog Caus ur gonna pay for it dearly. In certain states it's a multiple felony crime ur dealing with!

AlabamaSwamper

Look, I support all kinds of hunting with dogs. But dog owners that disregard private property rights is a problem everywhere

I own rabbit hounds. I ran deer hounds for years in Alabama.

If deer hunters can stop 10 walkers on a dime while running a deer then coon hunters can stop their dogs too. In December the ADHA turned over 100 deer hounds loose on an Alabama WMA twice for two days and not a single dog left the property. Tone breaking will save everyone a lot of headaches.

Rancocas

Times change. Nothing, absolutely nothing, ever remains the same.

In the early 1960's and all the years before that in America it was perfectly okay to go where you pleased, unless, of course, the land was privately posted as "no trespassing". And those no trespassing signs were extremely rare. If we wanted to hunt a particular piece of ground, and there were no signs saying that we couldn't, we went and did it. No special permission needed. No questions asked.

Then, I went off to a place called Vietnam. When I returned the world had changed. I took my little brother to a farm that our family had hunted for years. There were no signs. I drove down a well used farm road that I had been on dozens of times before, and parked beside a large field. We went off into the woods. Shortly, a young man came running up to us. He informed us that my car had been blocked in with tractors and the police had been called because we were trespassing. These were new farmers that had taken over the place, not the old family that had lived there for many years.

The land is no longer open like it once was. I understand why people close off their property when they have had fences broken down or cut, gates left open, crops trampled, and trash thrown about. Places available to the general population for hunting and fishing have shrunk; mainly, I think, because of a burgeoning population, but also because of the ignorance and ill consideration of others. For whatever reason, it is or already has come down to the have's and the have not's.

I'm certainly not condoning trespassing, but it seems to me that it is beginning to look like the old feudal European system of the royalty and wealthy noblemen having all the hunting rights and the poor peasants having to sneak around and poach if they want meat. Hunting is rapidly becoming a rich man's game once again.

The very basic problem as I see it, the very bottom line, is that there are simply too damn many people in the world. We are over-crowded, and tempers are getting short.

I have no problem with shooting a dog that is killing livestock or causing some other serious property damage. Everyone has the right to protect what is theirs. However, I will state that if someone ever shot my dog just because it was on their property, then that person would be in serious physical jeopardy. Such a thing could be the start of an old time feud similar to the Hatfields and McCoys.

Well, I suppose it is what it is. It is just a sad state of affairs. So, I'm not taking a stand one way or the other on the trespassing issue. Times have changed and I'm old and my time is past.

Planking

However, I will state that if someone ever shot my dog just because it was on their property, then that person would be in serious physical jeopardy. Such a thing could be the start of an old time feud similar to the Hatfields and McCoys.
Great reason not to allow them on your property. Who wants and Hatfield and McCoy situation with a dog owner?

Had a guy yelling at me yesterday because he didn't want his dogs hurt in my coyote traps on my own property.

scn

Great reason not to allow them on your property. Who wants and Hatfield and McCoy situation with a dog owner?

Had a guy yelling at me yesterday because he didn't want his dogs hurt in my coyote traps on my own property.
Yes, it is a pretty simple solution that he keeps his dogs on his own damn property and out of your traps.

Last edited:

Latest posts