Considering a new 4 wheeler?

STEELMAN

Strictly a hunting bike. I want Honda. Do I get the Recon, Rancher 2wd or Rancher 4wd? I have a farm tractor so I don't need to use it making food plots. Thoughts please.

Deer Whisperer

I have a 350 Rancher, and it does everything I need it to do. I would like a 4wd, but I can�t point to a situation that would allow me to justify it. I just want it, but don�t need it.

Deer Assassin has a 250 2wd Recon, and he hauls out 3 deer at a time with it. He works it like it was double the size.

One of my hunting partners has a 250 2wd Recon, and he works it like a dog and the thing just keeps on keeping on. It still runs like new. He likes it because it�s not as wide as all of our 4 wheelers. It has a very small turning radius and can squeeze through places that ours can�t.

I�m like a lot of people in that I believe bigger is better. Honestly, if I found a deal on a 450 4wd Foreman, I just might buy it. Will it allow me to do more than I�m doing now with my 2wd 350? No. I haul hunting equipment in, and equipment and deer out. Deer Assassin and my friend do the same thing with their Recon�s.

My advice is to test drive a Recon, Rancher, and a Foreman. Talk to people who use them. Consider what you will do with the 4 wheeler. This should help you decide.

rutnstrut2

Rancher sounds like the thing and what do you know I have one for sale it is a 2006 400 4X4 and I am selling it right for 3700 it only as 20 hours on it and 90 or so miles so it is like new just im me if you are interested

BlackBelt

I've got a Foreman 450, and it's just awesome. I don't usually need the 4x4, but when I do need it, I'm SO glad I've got it!
I don't joy ride on my Foreman. When I'm riding it, I'm doing something related to hunting. A couple of weeks ago I was down in some swamp bottoms of the Hatchie river in Hardeman county, and the next thing I knew I was in the mud muck. It had been hidden by the tall swamp grass. I was SO glad that I had 4x4 capability, or I'd still be out there winching that thing out.
I'd recommend a 4x4 if possible. You might not always need it, but when you do, you'll be glad you got it.

Gravey

Rancher 4x4. Most 2-wheel drives will go where a 4x4 will with one big exception. If you get down into a draw where you have to back up you're screwed. A 2-wheel drive will sit and spin all day. I have a 99 Honda 300 4x4 and use it for what you want yours for. Great machines. I've had myself (195 lbs.) another person weighing appx. 220, our gear, and 2 deer on the front with no problems.

pety221

just bought a new 500 the other day had a 420 rancher loaded an in the truck with papers sighned on it till i found out it was water cooled. only thing they had in the building wasn't water cooled was foreman 500 if ure not looking to play in the mud or arent riding thru any clearcuts i'd get a 420 rancher
reason i didn't get the water cooled one were i hunt is all clearcuts an plenty of mud to play in

mike243

just looked at the 09 line up for honda,dang they been doing some changing for the better,almost makes me want a new 1 :D but mines paid for & dont need more bills ;) mike243

megalomaniac

Honestly you probably wont need the 4x4... and the 2x4 is over a grand cheaper...

If I knew I was just going to use it deer hunting (not duck hunting) and not to play in mud or rocks, I'd just get the 2x4 and add a winch.

I've got a 4x4 07 Rancher and I've used the 4wd one time. That was a few weeks ago in Colorado. I put 150 miles on the 4 wheeler in a week, only had one spot where I had to climb some slick tree roots around 8" straight up. Spun the rear wheels for a sec in 2wd, shifted it to 4wd and climbed right over. Put it back in 2wd and never again took it out.

infoman jr.

I have a 07 420 rancher 4x4, and I've been more than happy with it. It's handled well from windrock to the mountains where I hunt in Crossville. I chose the natural gear camo, and it blends in well. Definitely check out richie motorsports in Athens. You won't beat their price on a honda.

STEELMAN

Took everyone's advice and went with a 2008 4x4 Rancher base model. I like the fuel injection. I don't like the turning radius compared to my old Recon and it won't fit thru the narrow places like the little bike would. I have already used the 4 wheel drive to go over downed limbs that I would've gone around before. It is wider and straddles ruts better.
I suspect the indepent rear suspension on the 2009 models will ride alot smoother.
Bottom line I proably should've saved $1600 and gone with a Recon.

Baxter83

You'd be amazed at all the things you could do with the 4x4 around a farm. Much more versatile than the tractor for smaller jobs. Go with the 4x4

SMOKEYJOE

Definitely a 4x4 like Gravey said you will need it if you ever have to back up a hill and they come in handy in the mud to I have a 2003 Rancher and it will do anything that you will ever need.

Latest posts