Concrete

L

leader

What is to cold to pour concrete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntinkev

huntinkev

We have to go by state specs, 35* and rising.

If it's going to dip much below freezing at night, cover it in concrete blankets for a few days.

L

leader

My guy is supposed to come Mon. I assume he will form Mom and pour Tues.
Supposed to get to 28 Tues night but back up to 50's high 30's Tues.
Never used him, he may wait and pour Wed or have blankets.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
huntinkev":1gwvpswx said:

If it's going to dip much below freezing at night, cover it in concrete blankets for a few days.
I thought the state was 40 and rising.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
leader":3hq05z4v said:
My guy is supposed to come Mon. I assume he will form Mom and pour Tues.
Supposed to get to 28 Tues night but back up to 50's high 30's Tues.
Never used him, he may wait and pour Wed or have blankets.

the first night isn't as bad as the second night. It's still going thru a heat the first night but could freeze the second. I have no experience with blankets but they say they work.

tree_ghost

tree_ghost

To many factors to answer a broad question like that. What is the application of the concrete?

L

leader

Pole barn and drive

huntinkev

huntinkev

Jcalder":29zz6h2t said:
huntinkev":29zz6h2t said:

no, 35 and rising.

You are right, the first night it will create it's own heat.

We have used blankets a lot, we have a 26' tractor trailer full of them. We poured 3 bridge decks in the last month, 1-15 days ago, 1 - 30 days ago, and 1-yesterday and have had to cover all of them with blankets. The 2 -15 and 30 days ago, we had to put kerosene lanterns under to assist. We were able to maintain the minimum temps.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
huntinkev":t7qbsijg said:
Jcalder":t7qbsijg said:
huntinkev":t7qbsijg said:

no, 35 and rising.

We have used blankets a lot, we have a 26' tractor trailer full of them. We poured 3 bridge decks in the last month, 1-15 days ago, 1 - 30 days ago, and 1-yesterday and have had to cover all of them with blankets. The 2 -15 and 30 days ago, we had to put kerosene lanterns under to assist. We were able to maintain the minimum temps.
thanks!! I learned something. I work for local government but we don't really follow anything other than if it's too cold we won't pour. We don't have blankets. But 90% of our work is sidewalks. I've seen the effects of a hot load and I've seen what salt will do. But haven't seen what a freeze will do.

huntinkev

huntinkev

Jcalder":caeqwzz4 said:
huntinkev":caeqwzz4 said:
Jcalder":caeqwzz4 said:
huntinkev said:

no, 35 and rising.

thanks!! I learned something. I work for local government but we don't really follow anything other than if it's too cold we won't pour. We don't have blankets. But 90% of our work is sidewalks. I've seen the effects of a hot load and I've seen what salt will do. But haven't seen what a freeze will do.

What county you work for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

tree_ghost

leader":1o7c3ck6 said:
Pole barn and drive

Your going to want to have your temps above the freezing mark for a 72 hour window in order To be sure that your investment is not compromised by the freezing temperatures if possible. The first 24 hours is the least critical in the 72 hour window. As stated above the chemical reaction of the Portland cement becoming hard will generate heat in and of it’s self. The most vulnerable time for new concrete is the 24 to 72 hour After it’s placed.A lot of cold weather concrete placement also has to do with the mix design of the concrete. The more Portland cement in the mix design the more heat it will generate from the chemical reaction. I would venture to say that you’re going to be pouring a standard 3500 psi air entrained Mix for this application. If the temperatures in your area are going to dip down to freezing or below in that timeframe, and you must pour, I would either cover it with concrete insulating blankets or hay and plastic (old school).
I would advise postponing the concrete pour if the temperatures look to drop below 25° anytime in the first 72 hours.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
huntinkev":10e7upl0 said:
Jcalder":10e7upl0 said:
huntinkev":10e7upl0 said:
Jcalder said:
huntinkev said:

no, 35 and rising.

What county you work for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
cookeville city

mr.big

mr.big

I think I remember them putting calcium in it to keep it from freezing but I could have dreamed that it has been so long I poured any concrete in cold,,

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
mr.big":1u5pk8el said:
I think I remember them putting calcium in it to keep it from freezing but I could have dreamed that it has been so long I poured any concrete in cold,,
calcium speeds the process up. But not sure it'll keep it from freezing

tree_ghost

tree_ghost

Jcalder":2b54qwog said:
mr.big":2b54qwog said:
calcium speeds the process up. But not sure it'll keep it from freezing

It does speed up the chemical reaction in the Portland to make the concrete harder faster. In addition to speeding up the hardening process it causes a more intense chemical reaction that results in the concrete generating more heat. This will aid in keeping the concrete from freezing some but only in the initial 24hours. Also calcium is corrosive to rebar or wire mesh it is recommended to use a non-chloride accelerator instead of calcium if your concrete has reinforcing steel in it.

Stu

Stu

Up north they pour down below zero. Just add calcium to it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TRIGGER

TRIGGER

Stu":2qogdzr6 said:

That’s not how it works. That’s not how any of this works.

tree_ghost

tree_ghost

Stu":p837zcxw said:

I have poured several hundred thousand cubic yards all over the country and never seen anyone pour in subzero temperatures...we placed a slab in Hartford Connecticut when I was with Baker Concrete when it was 14° and forecasted to get into the mid 20’s by the time we were finished...Long story short it never broke 15° the entire day and we tore out 40,000 ft.² of concrete…