Combo Questions re walking to the stand in the AM

JCDEERMAN

I typically don't use a light while hunting our private property the majority of the time, unless 1) I am close to the property line or 2) it is just one of those mornings you can't see your hand in front of your face or 3) I get off the path or road I'm on (if this is the case, I'd rather use a light to be quieter and not touching everything).

When hunting leases up on the plateau, I use a light because I'm not quite as familiar with them as I am the home farm. If I were hunting public, I'd use a light.

UTGrad

Early season with the canopy in the woods can be very dark on a moonless night. I usually go without a headlamp but early season it's sometimes necessary just to see 3 feet in front of me. I climb a tree frequently at my lease and tried without a headlamp. As soon as I stepped in the woods with the thick canopy above and no moon it was too dark to find anything.

peytoncreekhunter

I hunt private land and have never before seen anyone on it. And always use a white light going in... 2 years ago I had a guy walk up from behind me. He said he had gotten lost in the dark from the adjoining farm and didn't realize he had crossed over, (even though he had crossed a barbed wire fence). He even said he saw me driving up and walking in to my stand, because of my light.

I guess the point is that you never know who is on what land. If I scare a deer off so be it, no deer is worth getting shot over by some knucklehead where he isn't supposed to be and shooting at sounds in the dark.

Benelli 4 Life

I've always used a good bright white light to walk in. I've walked up to several good bucks while coonhunting to worry about the color of light. I'm more worried about stepping on sticks or stepping in a hole and hurting myself

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I use green light I use a fenix 1500 lumen light with a green lens and I can shine a long ways with a green light. I have used green light and put a climber beside a doe feeding at 20yards and she never spook

Rakkin6

Very good point, just using my experience in the past that the only reason I use red is for my night vision and to read a topo map. If I am not using red I just white light it and call it good.

fairchaser

I try not to walk in with a light. Any deer can see light and a mature buck knows it doesn't belong. I wait until breaking light and hunt my way into the stand. Deer aren't going to forget about your light anymore than you would. Even though deer can't reason like a human, their senses are much keener. Young deer are curious but a mature buck doesn't screw around.

Mescalero

I am currently "relegated" to hunting only public land. I am also afraid of snakes, which is why next year I'm not starting my season until more likely mid-October when pre-twilight temps are below 60. I am also concerned about stepping in some serious holes. Two weeks ago I ventured to a different part of the public I'm hunting. On the way back out around 11am, I came upon a "hole" that I would describe as a chasm. It was probably 3' x 4' and 20' deep. It gave me the shivers. Had I gone that route in the morning and fallen in, I would never have been found. I avoided that area of rocks due to my fear of snakes and it was warm that Saturday.

Last season, I focused on one particular part of the public I'm hunting. I'm more comfortable there, but there are some major sink holes and other similar types of smaller chasms that I came across in that area. This year, I'm trying a number of different parts of the public land during archery to get a better idea of what there is to offer. I'm not concerned about other hunters now. But in a few weeks/month, yeah I think the white light is the way to go. I've thought about entering nearer hunting light, but on public chances are you are too late and other guys are somewhere in there and you don't know where. And during gun season, that's not a good idea.

JN

I use white light on the flood setting usually walking in. The terrain I am walking into is very rocky from a creek bed and very thick with mountain Laurel/rhododendron. Also like the bright light to see any snakes, bears, tigers, mountain men, Sasquatch, El Chupacabra, and all those other spooky things hiding in the remote mountains of east tn.

catman529

I use white light on the flood setting usually walking in. The terrain I am walking into is very rocky from a creek bed and very thick with mountain Laurel/rhododendron. Also like the bright light to see any snakes, bears, tigers, mountain men, Sasquatch, El Chupacabra, and all those other spooky things hiding in the remote mountains of east tn.
If you hear banjos it's too late

Bone Collector

Depending on where I am I use white or green walking in. If I kill myself on the way in won't be killing many deer. I do know in the Marine Corps, we used a red lens at night when trying to keep a low profile. I would guess this is the least obtrusive, but I have had deer eyes shining back at me with the white light and had them blow and run off, but then went to my tree and had deer come through normally.

catman529

I am currently "relegated" to hunting only public land. I am also afraid of snakes, which is why next year I'm not starting my season until more likely mid-October when pre-twilight temps are below 60. I am also concerned about stepping in some serious holes. Two weeks ago I ventured to a different part of the public I'm hunting. On the way back out around 11am, I came upon a "hole" that I would describe as a chasm. It was probably 3' x 4' and 20' deep. It gave me the shivers. Had I gone that route in the morning and fallen in, I would never have been found. I avoided that area of rocks due to my fear of snakes and it was warm that Saturday.

Last season, I focused on one particular part of the public I'm hunting. I'm more comfortable there, but there are some major sink holes and other similar types of smaller chasms that I came across in that area. This year, I'm trying a number of different parts of the public land during archery to get a better idea of what there is to offer. I'm not concerned about other hunters now. But in a few weeks/month, yeah I think the white light is the way to go. I've thought about entering nearer hunting light, but on public chances are you are too late and other guys are somewhere in there and you don't know where. And during gun season, that's not a good idea.
I've found a few sinkholes like that over the years. Some of em you couldn't climb out of.

777rellik

..The green light is my go too color choose, one reason it is easier on my eyes . For me it give me more clarity and crispness..
I like too walk fast as possible too my location in the predawn hours , but if when I break a stick or stumble ..I pause and cut my light.
My headlamp is in my hand and not on my head , just my preference too keep the light low too the ground.
If I am looking for brighteyes , mine are always knee high and that is where my light shines..
Deer blowing is common.
A deer staying in a area and blowing the woods down is a problem.

Winchester

I dont use a light unless gun hunting on public land and then I use green. I will agree its not the light thats spooking deer its the noise and or smell.

Latest posts