Colorado Trip Report

turk870

great report,looks like yall had fun.got the tipi and stove (see getting ready for colorado thread)and just realized from the pics that you work at the sportsman store,ill be sure to talk to you next time im in there.we leve on the 15th headed to colorado

RockChucker30

WMAman, the goats were pretty cool really. No concern of them taking off after a squirrel or deer, or whatever - which could be a concern with a dog. Also, they can carry 40 lbs. It'd take a big dog to pack that much.

With two goats and two guys it'd be pretty feasible to get a boned out elk out in one trip.

turk, look me up. I work for SO and co-founded Paradox. I'm in the Sportsman store a few days a week too.

megalomaniac

What a great write-up and pictures!

Beautiful aspens this time of year.

It really is fun to just be out there in the fall, but we are still killers at heart. I'm sure you are like I've been the past month over the first day bull encounter... I'm still kicking myself for botching up a stalk to 45 yards of 3 bulls.

Thanks for taking the time to post

Crosshairy

Fantastic story. Do you keep a journal during the trip, or is your mind just a steel trap for details?

I need to use a trip like this as the catalyst to resume my physical fitness regimen. I get stuck in the dumb loop of not being physically prepped to do the trip, so I don't apply for the hunt. Since I don't have a serious goal in front of me, my motivation is non-existent. Seeing these photo montages sure does stir the blood, though!

RockChucker30

Crosshairy said:
Fantastic story. Do you keep a journal during the trip, or is your mind just a steel trap for details?

I need to use a trip like this as the catalyst to resume my physical fitness regimen. I get stuck in the dumb loop of not being physically prepped to do the trip, so I don't apply for the hunt. Since I don't have a serious goal in front of me, my motivation is non-existent. Seeing these photo montages sure does stir the blood, though!

My mind is definitely not a steel trap! It is interesting though how memory works. Everyday life kind of churns along and the days blend together for me.

When I'm out there pushing myself to the edge of what I can do the memories are VIVID. I can recall specific moments with total clarity, down to the warmth of the sun and what I was smelling. Cool stuff.

Posts like this allow me to look back in years to come and remember small things I had forgotten.

As far as motivation....that's up to you man. I work with a guy who's in his early 60's and has been wanting to go elk hunting for the last 30+ years. There's always a reason not to go, and now he's almost past going physically.

I decided that I was going to do these things NOW, while I'm able to.

Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption had a line...."Get busy living, or get busy dying".

AT Hiker

RockChucker30 said:
When I'm out there pushing myself to the edge of what I can do the memories are VIVID. I can recall specific moments with total clarity, down to the warmth of the sun and what I was smelling. Cool stuff.

Posts like this allow me to look back in years to come and remember small things I had forgotten.

As far as motivation....that's up to you man. I work with a guy who's in his early 60's and has been wanting to go elk hunting for the last 30+ years. There's always a reason not to go, and now he's almost past going physically.

I decided that I was going to do these things NOW, while I'm able to.

Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption had a line...."Get busy living, or get busy dying".

Perfect response! Life is way to short for what if's and way to fragile for for oh sh!t's! I like to live somewhere in between, wagering on the edge of "oh sh!t"!