College sports is dead

sun

It's going to provide an incentive for kids to become even better athletes at a younger age. which could create more superstars in the future.
Some of the elite stars may be able to cash in on a national level if they're part of the right program.
Which this may now help some of them join elite programs for the money instead of "less elite" programs primarily for the education.
I'm thinking mostly about women's basketball because here in CT the girls are often followed like royalty, and now they can get some perks.
They're only young once and who knows how long any sensation will last?
There's always going to be another up and coming elite superstar, and it's bound to detract from their training and studies if they let it go to their head.
I hope that there's agents that can handle the business details for them.

Attachments

• CC98BA11-4DF3-4262-9868-FE94008518FD.png
    CC98BA11-4DF3-4262-9868-FE94008518FD.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 39

BMan

How about...

...the pros create minor leagues for the athletes who want to be paid, and those who can't cut it there can go the college and get an education. That way colleges can get back to education rather than entertainment.

bbqit

How about...

...the pros create minor leagues for the athletes who want to be paid, and those who can't cut it there can go the college and get an education. That way colleges can get back to education rather than entertainment.
Not a bad idea if college was educating kids

Rakkin6

Well like I said as the OP of the thread college football is dead. The NCAA announced yesterday they would no longer play a role in college sports anymore. This may take some time to get all the details taken care of but it is happening. This now means that there will essentially only be the Power 5 conferences. So roughly 50 teams, the smaller schools will more than likely get rid of their sports programs since they will not generate the revenue anymore. The power 5 will not be playing the Appalachain States or East Carolina to get that check each year. We are talking about a lot of young men and women no longer receiving scholarships to these smaller schools anymore since there will be no athletic programs. If you don't believe this just remember that USC Trojans shutdown 11 of their athletic programs during the Wuhan Flu freakout because of loss of revenue. This is just me and people on here may disagree but I am not dealing with the greed of this whole situation. Between free agency (transfer portal) to talk of unionization to talk of just actually paying players which unions and pay makes them employees which means they can be fired not student athletes this will no longer be college sports. This is just the NFL lite and I don't watch the NFL why would I watch this? Not really a huge loss to me I will just spend more time with my wife, hunting or at the gym. One positive thing about the world freaking out and college sports shutting down is after a couple of weeks I realized I didn't miss it has much has I thought I would and I spent less time being a flatasser on my couch in front of the idiot box. Obviously people will still watch but I think it will be significantly impacted. I mean tv viewership was down drastically last year in both college football and basketball even though we didn't have sports of any type for quite some time. I don't think those viewers are coming back and I think this will drive more people away. Below is the link if you haven't read the article.

Mescalero

I just don't get the animosity toward the transfer, which really isn't anything new in college football (one time free transfer rule is). 99% on this site are hard core free market capitalists. And it really helps teams that fired their coach post early signing period, where probably 90% or more of HS recruits are signed. For example, UT got 10 transfers after Heupel was hired. That was critical.

RobDooley

This transfer portal has ruined it for me. I hate it. No loyalty at all.
same here brother, I agree. I thought they essentially entered into an agreement/contract for an EDUCATION with the opportunity to play ball. Additionally, all the attention they get during high school...kid has four ball caps sitting in front of him during press conference and he picks the UNIVERSITY of higher learning he is going to attend. Too much drama