College football ratings go up, while NFL ratings fall

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
This is both a political and sports topic...do I guess it fits in the General forum.

We've had several NFL ratings discussions on Tndeer, but here's a different take: Over the last 2 years why has college football ratings increased by 10-15% while the NFL plummeted by ~20%?

If it were a general decreasing interest in football or cord cutting shouldn't they be impacted equally?

DaveB

DaveB

Everyone wants to see 'Bama get beat?

Football is mostly still football in College?

They don't televise high school?

The crybaby rich poorly mannered folks are concentrated in the Pro's so it's easy to flip the channel, flip a worm, kick the dog? Anything but watch?

I do not even know who won the last two superbowls. And I think Don Shula is a great guy.

U

Urban_Hunter

I have just about entirely quit watching NFL. To be honest I'm not even sure why, it just isn't as entertaining until playoff time. Sure I dislike the kneeling and everything else but that doesn't keep me from watching, I just don't care for it.

College football is just entirely a different animal. These are kids playing with all they have to get themselves and their team to the next level. You see david beat Goliath on nearly a weekly basis somewhere, somehow. Look at the playoff setup this year... non conference championship contender beats Georgia in overtime with a 50yd td pass after losing 16 yards to a sack on the previous play. True freshman qb to freshman receiver. You can't get that in the NFL

P

poorhunter

While this is true, the actual numbers of viewers is astounding. 28 million watched Bama beat Georgia which is second highest for college football...48 million watched an NFL playoff game. That’s why the NFL isn’t too worried about losing some viewers, plus they really think (as I do) that most of the people leaving don’t really have the conviction to stay away.

Planking

Planking

I went from NFL fan that rarely missed a game to throwing my child hood jersey of my favorite team in the garbage and not watching a second all year. I did watch the Alabama/Georgia and that will be the only football game I watch all year. I'm forever done with kneeling trash, racist trash, hands up don't shoot trash and their organizations.

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
poorhunter":3j9lt9sq said:
While this is true, the actual numbers of viewers is astounding. 28 million watched Bama beat Georgia which is second highest for college football...48 million watched an NFL playoff game. That’s why the NFL isn’t too worried about losing some viewers, plus they really think (as I do) that most of the people leaving don’t really have the conviction to stay away.

If any other business lost 20% of the people consuming their product in 2 years there would be panic at headquarters. 2015 was a record year for viewership in the NFL, 2016 it dropped about 7% and people attributed that to it being an election year (and some games competed with the debates and political news took viewership). People said viewers would return in 2017. They didn't viewership decreased another 13%.

People typically don't go back to things they turn their back on(unless its drugs). Plus, the NFL isn't seen in the same light it was a decade ago, the CTE stuff/Concussions, injuries are starting to turn people off to the sport. Lots of ex players (as well as regular parents) are discouraging their kids from playing football. Boxing was huge just 20-30 years ago. Now its barely on the radar because people began to see it as too violent. I'm starting to think Pro football might be rapidly moving that direction and people are turning it off. I also know lots of people (many on Tndeer have said so too) that turned it off because of the protests accelerating the decline.

Zulu

Zulu

Supporter
In my younger days I was an ardent NFL fan, but even before this year's political shenanigans sealed it for me, my watching had really dropped off over the last several years.
I think one of the reasons is simply football fatigue. Thursday night you have one pro and a couple of college games (I usually watch college -- Thursdays are were smaller schools like Memphis can get national exposure), Friday night is high school, or, if it's a distant away game, there are usually one or two college games on. Saturday, of course, is full-up, so by the time Sunday and Monday come around, I'm pretty well "footballed out."

Plus, I find the college game just more enjoyable. The NFL seems to be mirror offenses and defenses playing each other, with the result coming down to the athleticism of the individual players. College has a lot more variety: you see everything from pro style to the triple option, and everything in between. Also, with the short college careers, there are new stars every year, where the NFL seems like the same old names year-after-year.

DaveB

DaveB

Well PH, I am going to disagree with you on this one.

Lets say you own a business and have spent a lot of time and maybe even some money to get more people in to your business. You have been at this for over 40 years and you have done well.

Then in two seasons you lose the past twenty years of customer growth. In the stands and on their TV's at home.

The Commish is incompetent in addition to being a greedy fool.

We will say goodbye to the NFL in ten years.

D

Dully

Planking":1acz6o4k said:
I went from NFL fan that rarely missed a game to throwing my child hood jersey of my favorite team in the garbage and not watching a second all year. I did watch the Alabama/Georgia and that will be the only football game I watch all year. I'm forever done with kneeling trash, racist trash, hands up don't shoot trash and their organizations.
X2 :party :tu:

P

poorhunter

DaveB":3qt2ac11 said:
Well PH, I am going to disagree with you on this one.

Lets say you own a business and have spent a lot of time and maybe even some money to get more people in to your business. You have been at this for over 40 years and you have done well.

Then in two seasons you lose the past twenty years of customer growth. In the stands and on their TV's at home.

We will say goodbye to the NFL in ten years.

Hope you’re right and I’m wrong :tu:

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Planking":193svzj9 said:
Same here.
And no I won't be "back".

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
DaveB":wamzvqkt said:

I agree, he has made some awful decisions....along with the Players Union. When the Commissioner decided to play Investigator, Judge, Jury and Executioner for off the field issues and the Union agreed to it they setup a disaster in the making. The NFL shouldn't be in the business of punishing players for alleged off the field issues until the State or National Civil/Criminal Justice systems determines there was an actual crime or injustice.

Andy S.

Andy S.

It would not hurt my feelings if the NFL went out of business. When I think of football, I only care about and watch college football. My relatives in the northeast (very few college football programs) are just the opposite.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Andy S.":1r1qylwv said:
It would not hurt my feelings if the NFL went out of business. When I think of football, I only care about and watch college football.

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

ImThere

ImThere

That would be crazy if the NFL went out of business. What would that mean to college ball? If they couldn’t play any farther would they play in college or get an education? What’s after college for many of the guys that go just to make the NFL? Would there still be scholarships?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk