Coldest Weather You've Fished In?

TNReb

I have zero desire to fish in that sort of weather!

Old Hickory was still frozen in spots today. Barton's Creek was froze. Here's a picture from the ramp at the end of Cairo Bend.
ee221e6750f6f9603b9fc740de03d406.jpg

Crappieaddict

68 degrees here today, so I had to get a Crappie fix. I went to three ramps, and ice was everywhere! No way I was gonna try it. I basically just drug the boat along for a ride!

junebugwapiti

Don't know exactly what the temp was but the edges of Tellico river were froze about 2 feet out. Trout were biting good that day. Had about 6 inches of snow on the ground too. Probably 15 years ago

scn

45 or 46 years ago when there was still an opening day for trout season, a friend took me to Clark's Cr. on the Unicoi WMA to fish along with his Dad. Opening day was a tradition with them. It was 12 degrees that morning with snow on the ground. I caught one on a piece of corn, but even when you saw them, you couldn't get them to bite. I started to notice fish laying on their sides in the eddies. What was happening was that the mush ice that was forming along the banks was getting in their gills and causing them to croak out.

I had just watched Robert Redford as Jerimiah Johnson with his "fishing" scene where he was trying to catch them with his bare hands while the Indian on horseback watched him. With that fresh in my mind, I let my inner redneck surface, and went into the creek after them (hipboots). I figured using a net wasn't kosher, but figured bare hands had to be legal. Before the morning was out, I had flipped out our limits. When we checked out at the checking station that afternoon, I think they must of smelled a rat, because we were the only folks there that had more than one or two.

When I started with the agency a few years later and was doing my orientation training, I could have passed a lie detector test that I had never violated a game law. After a couple of days of going through the law book, I figured out that I was a violating sob with more than one miscue. Turns out my J. Johnson imitation was called grabbling, and was illegal for any gamefish. :oops:

It was something I tried to remember over the ensuing years that there is a difference between total ignorance and just not caring about a law and doing it anyway.

rsimms

scn":cxaqfchu said:
45 or 46 years ago when there was still an opening day for trout season, a friend took me to Clark's Cr. on the Unicoi WMA to fish along with his Dad. Opening day was a tradition with them. It was 12 degrees that morning with snow on the ground. I caught one on a piece of corn, but even when you saw them, you couldn't get them to bite. I started to notice fish laying on their sides in the eddies. What was happening was that the mush ice that was forming along the banks was getting in their gills and causing them to croak out.

I had just watched Robert Redford as Jerimiah Johnson with his "fishing" scene where he was trying to catch them with his bare hands while the Indian on horseback watched him. With that fresh in my mind, I let my inner redneck surface, and went into the creek after them (hipboots). I figured using a net wasn't kosher, but figured bare hands had to be legal. Before the morning was out, I had flipped out our limits. When we checked out at the checking station that afternoon, I think they must of smelled a rat, because we were the only folks there that had more than one or two.

When I started with the agency a few years later and was doing my orientation training, I could have passed a lie detector test that I had never violated a game law. After a couple of days of going through the law book, I figured out that I was a violating sob with more than one miscue. Turns out my J. Johnson imitation was called grabbling, and was illegal for any gamefish. :oops:

It was something I tried to remember over the ensuing years that there is a difference between total ignorance and just not caring about a law and doing it anyway.

That's a good story right there... I don't care who ya are. :super:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
scn":1kgpsben said:

Makes me feel better about going full sniper on the songbirds when I was a kid. :D

Pretty funny for sure.

Biggun4214

I checked several crappie fishermen this morning. One already had his limit. As I left a man and woman came driving up, they had 2 small kids. Both looked less than 5. Wind chill was pushing 0.

I had ice on my moustache.

Winchester

RUGER":1zz5q9oh said:
scn":1zz5q9oh said:

Makes me feel better about going full sniper on the songbirds when I was a kid. :D

Pretty funny for sure.
Me too!!!LOL

jard

I fished a bass club tourney on Lake Wedowee in AL back in 2008 when I lived in Atlanta. 5 degrees at launch with a 10 mph wind. freak cold spell. We had to break ice from the rod guides after every cast. I literally had a baitcaster explode in my hand. Went to cast and im assuming all ice inside caused it but both endplates flew off spool feel in the water. The only thing still attached was the frame to the poll. Sounded like a firecracker. We spent most of the tourney in marina drinking coffee and would leave and fish the bay and come back. I think 5 fish were weighed in between 10 boats.

Cold weather fishing is for the birds, I find no joy in it.

Kevin

pressfit":29g76lat said:
When I was a kid we fished on tims "no fish" ford one day and ice was clogging up our line guides... lol

Fished Tim's Ford on New Years back in college. When we put in before legal sunrise, it was 11 degrees. We caught our limits of Stripers by 7:30. My BIL caught one over 40 lbs. Only pic was on an old camera phone, and that kills me!

First stripe we landed was before legal sunrise, and I claim that we caught the first fish in TN that year lol, because no one else was dumb enough to be fishing haha. :bash:

Latest posts