Cold weather outboard care?

bluball

I don't do anything special,but mine is in a garage attached to the house.If I left mine outside I would probably lower my motor when I got home.I do keep my batteries charged when it's cold,heard it makes them last longer.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Aquaholic

Outboards are self draining if you leave the motor in the down position for 5+ mins when you pull it out of the water ... Going into the winter it is a good time to check/change your lower unit oil in case you picked some water up during the summer

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

WTM

Aquaholic":2e49pxgb said:
Outboards are self draining if you leave the motor in the down position for 5+ mins when you pull it out of the water ... Going into the winter it is a good time to check/change you lower unit oil in case you picked some up during the summer

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

yep.

TRIGGER

I always crank mine and let it run for 3-5 seconds just to turn the water pump. Am I doin more damage than good? I have also been told to raise the motor as high as it will go and back down after the initial drain to get any water that may still be in the ports of the motor out. Does anyone else do this?

SilverFox

I always cranked my Yamaha HPDI motor and let it run until the water quit pumping. Took less than 5 seconds. You could leave it sitting for as long as you wanted and it didn't drain completely. This was an 2008 model motor.

I haven't ran the new motor but once and I don't remember what I did. It wasn't below freezing then and my garage is heated if I turn it on. It never got below 48-50 in there the last week so I never turned it on.

Summer or just warmer weather where I wasn't worried about it freezing I just lower the motor and drain it.

Crappieaddict

TRIGGER":3jhcasxq said:
I always crank mine and let it run for 3-5 seconds just to turn the water pump. Am I doin more damage than good? I have also been told to raise the motor as high as it will go and back down after the initial drain to get any water that may still be in the ports of the motor out. Does anyone else do this?
I do this, minus the letting it run part. I fish all winter, and so far so good.

catman529

Honestly I worry a lot more about my batteries than my outboard in cold weather. I switch the trickle charge between batteries every so often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hollar Hunter

TRIGGER":3fg3jsfi said:

This is what I've done since new in 2005 and have had zero problems. Heading to the steam plant now

larry ipock

Hollar Hunter":3a5sqs46 said:
TRIGGER":3a5sqs46 said:

This is what I've done since new in 2005 and have had zero problems. Heading to the steam plant now

Would that be the Kingston Steam Plant?

Hollar Hunter

I always crank mine and let it run for 3-5 seconds just to turn the water pump. Am I doin more damage than good? I have also been told to raise the motor as high as it will go and back down after the initial drain to get any water that may still be in the ports of the motor out. Does anyone else do this?[/quote]

This is what I've done since new in 2005 and have had zero problems. Heading to the steam plant now[/quote]

Would that be the Kingston Steam Plant?[/quote]

Gallatin

Attachments

• 2972274F-EB3D-4BF3-AB7C-FD186251A2CD.jpeg
    2972274F-EB3D-4BF3-AB7C-FD186251A2CD.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 816

catman529

Hollar Hunter":1wa7tn74 said:
catman529":1wa7tn74 said:
Hollar Hunter":1wa7tn74 said:
Rub it in man... I'll be back out there to catch some keeper sized too

Ha! Not rubbing it in I told you just tell me what day you can get off early and I'll meet you with the boat.
with this snow I bet they will have me work the rest of the week...sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts