Cold weather but very windy Saturday

bigasports

The cold weather looks good for this Saturday but with wind being in the high teens to twenties. How will the high wind affect the deer movement? Or will it?

cozy23

That's what I was wondering. A few weeks ago when the wind was high here I was hunting. I didn't expect to see anything but went anyways. Around 4:30 in the afternoon a doe steps out in the field about 75 yds away. I thought it was strange to see her so early and with the high winds. I guess you never know until you get out there.

bigasports

Well, I guess I'll be rocking back in forth in a tree. With the temps down I hope to catch some movement, just not sure about the WIND...

travle

I would try thick wooded area with acorns over open field on windy days. Not saying they won't come into a field, but you have better odds where the wind could be silenced a bit.

bigasports

I'm torn on whether I should go Sat morning. Wind in my area is supposed to be 14-18mph. I can sit in a stand in it but how will it effect the deer? Do I wait till Sunday after church? What's your opinions?

catman529

bigasports said:
I'm torn on whether I should go Sat morning. Wind in my area is supposed to be 14-18mph. I can sit in a stand in it but how will it effect the deer? Do I wait till Sunday after church? What's your opinions?
go hunt, the way I see it, wind isn't ideal but it's cold and deer are getting horny

bigasports

MUP said:
I'm wondering how many can make a good shot with a bow in 20+ mph winds? I know I sure wouldn't want to try it, I'm staying in. :)

That was my main concern, arrow flight vs wind. Anyway I didn't go but I will be out there after church tomorrow.

catman529

bigasports said:
MUP said:
I'm wondering how many can make a good shot with a bow in 20+ mph winds? I know I sure wouldn't want to try it, I'm staying in. :)

That was my main concern, arrow flight vs wind. Anyway I didn't go but I will be out there after church tomorrow.
<20 yards and in the woods and in between gusts, shouldn't affect it ;) I could have drilled a doe this morning at 17 yards, she tempted me for a good 10-15 mins, but I had bucks on the mind.

jard

I hunted yesterday and it was windy. I didnt climb very high because I didnt want to be tossed around. I had a spike actually walk directly underneath me and right at dark had some does enter the field. I also jumped some along my path driving in. They were still moving. I'll be back out tomorrow.

Latest posts