Cold feet again

A/M/G

Ok the cold feet thread got me to thinking. I wear rubber non insulated boots all the time. Needless to say my feet get cold. I am not as tuff as I once was and I have a few more dineros to spend now that I am old and decrepit. So the question is which 2 brand boots do you recommend, water proof and not water proof. Some areas I may have to go thru shallow water to access, other areas no water.

scubacamper

I have a pair of Danner thinsulate gore-Tex boots and my toes still get cold with smartwool socks.
In my experience, and maybe I'm just a sissy when it comes to cold feet, but I've not found any boots that keep my toes sweating when it's below 30 degrees.
I've been using the toe warmers and am content with them, but it does add time to the getting-dressed portion of my hunt schedule...
Others may have more costly boots with thicker insulation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

I found the boot insole-looking foot warmers are the only thing that works. When I am moving my feet get pretty warm & when I stop, they cool down very gradually. After more money than I will admit to spending this is the only solution I have found acceptable.

As an aside, post my heart attack I noticed my feet stopped getting so cold. Used to be the ache would almost disable me....now, just a passing discomfort. In the woods in cold weather my feet get cold and that is why i use the foot warmers.

Deer Whisperer

Cabelas Predator Extreme is the warmest boot I know of. I've had mine for years and they are great.
The best upgrade to a boot for warmth is a wool felt insole. It helps.manage moisture and really increases the insulation.

Of course, wool socks. Never cotton.

rem270

I take several pairs of socks with me. Sometimes I even change into a new pair when I get out of the truck to put my boots on. Then most of the time when it's real cold by 9 or earlier I change out again. Since I've been doing that it's helped a lot and I've even worn my uninsulated boots most of the time.

jard

I bought a pair of Woody Max Muck boots and they are the warmest boots Ive owned by far. I cant wear thick socks in them as my feet sweat walking in and then they'll get cold. After years of lace up boots, I will never go back as I have muck boots for cold weather and a pair of uninsulated lacrosse rubber boots for warm weather.

Lots of threads on foot warmers etc. A few things I learned from an old man duck hunter.

1) once you put your socks on do not let them hit the ground, socks on and straight into the boot. I usually do not put socks and boots on until I am at my hunting place.
2) take a trash, walmart, or ziploc bag and put it over your socks before you put them in the boot. Some even would put it on their bare skin and then sock over it. Especially effective in standing water in waders. Feels weird but my feet never got cold standing in freezing water.
3) Dry your boots after every hunt on a boot dryer. They are cheap and take all the moisture out. One of my best buys.

Coldfusion

jard":1tol9c7t said:
I bought a pair of Woody Max Muck boots and they are the warmest boots Ive owned by far. I cant wear thick socks in them as my feet sweat walking in and then they'll get cold. After years of lace up boots, I will never go back as I have muck boots for cold weather and a pair of uninsulated lacrosse rubber boots for warm weather.

Lots of threads on foot warmers etc. A few things I learned from an old man duck hunter.

1) once you put your socks on do not let them hit the ground, socks on and straight into the boot. I usually do not put socks and boots on until I am at my hunting place.
2) take a trash, walmart, or ziploc bag and put it over your socks before you put them in the boot. Some even would put it on their bare skin and then sock over it. Especially effective in standing water in waders. Feels weird but my feet never got cold standing in freezing water.
3) Dry your boots after every hunt on a boot dryer. They are cheap and take all the moisture out. One of my best buys.
Really? A baggy over your feet? Never heard that trick. May try tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jard

Really? A baggy over your feet? Never heard that trick. May try tomorrow

That was my reaction as well but he had on 1950 old school waders and was nice and comfy and I was freezing my tail off in my nice cabelas super mags. He showed me after the hunt

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Simpleman.2

You need to invest in some arctic shield boot covers. Worth the money.

Coldfusion

Simpleman.2":1ztiickx said:

I probably will. Eders has a good price on them

Simpleman.2

Coldfusion":1cbpxqih said:
Simpleman.2":1cbpxqih said:

I probably will. Eders has a good price on them

I would probably go up a size larger than the suggested size. They run a little small. I wear I 12 and I have the XL.

bigquacks

jard":1v1nbote said:
Feels weird but my feet never got cold standing in freezing water.

This is an old duck hunters trick. Think of it this way ,if your feet are in the water, it is no colder than 32 degrees. Otherwise you are standing on the water.
We would sit in the water on real cold days because the water was warmer than the air temps.

scn

As Jard said, one of the keys is to start the morning with some boots that are totally dry. If you can use the boot dryers, they are worth every penny and are not that expensive. If you are at a hunting camp without electricity, they make one that runs on propane, but may be more of a pain to use.

I have gone to a two boot system that has worked well for me. I have two pairs of the Muck Woody Max. One pair is my normal boot size, and the other is a full size larger. I use the larger size in the morning when it is coldest. It is amazing how much difference having the extra space means for warmth. A lot of folks really defeat themselves by wearing extra pairs of socks and having a really tight fit. I use the smaller pair in the evenings. By switching out between morning and evening hunts, both pairs seem to dry out before I need them again. With an all day sit in the larger pair, I usually use a boot dryer at night. All I use are a thick pair of merino wool socks.

I'm good down to about 25 deg. in the Woody Max. Below that, I reach for a pair of boots with at least 1200 gr. of thinsulate. Bass Pro sells one that I got on sale that is a pac boot with the thinsulate booty separate from the boot. That gives you the ability to take it out to dry at night. I'm good down into the single digits with those. Below that, I grab a pair of boot blankets to go with the pac boots.

As an aside to the warmth deal, I have seen a major difference in deer response since I have quit wearing my hunting boots in the truck. I wash them down in the no-scent soap, and store them where the soles never touch a truck floor mat. I wear some little Sportsman Guide neoprene slip ons for the drive to the hunting site, and put on my hunting boots outside of the truck. It has made a major difference on how deer react when they cross my path where I walk into the stand.

ImThere

I'm very minimalistic in my hunting. I am an artificial heat guy. Today 26 deg weather I have on my non insulated rubber boots. I have on Nike dri fit socks, a hand warmer adhesive foot insole, and toe warmers.
d218b0f4c9df9e35add1b0618d2879a7.jpg

I also have light weight clothes on and have heat packs over my kidneys one in each front pocket and one in my hat. I'm warm and toasty

TX300mag

I agree with Jard and scn. I bought a boot dryer 10 years ago for $15 at Rural King. Money well spent-boots go straight onto them when I take them off. This is especially helpful for when you have to wear rubber boots that don't breath.

Trenta

One part of wool socks, non insulated boots for the walk in and attic shield boot blankets. On a cold cold morning put a hot hand inside the boot blanket

Latest posts