Club & Tournament Fishing

flyinpro

No thanks I don't need the state to regulate anything anymore than they already do. And I don't need the TWRA to tell me how fast I can go in my boat either.
On the subject of speed, I definitely believe I should be some type of limits. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting in a cove some place and a Van Damm wanna be, blasts in on you because he wants the spot. That's the reason for my OP. I hate regulations but some of these things are getting out of hand.

My main point is, these events hurt the fishing for all in my opinion

WTM

I see what you're saying but I personally don't think "fishing pressure" has any effect on the fish. There's two distinct pressures. You have "fishing pressure" and you have "catching pressure".. there's small rivers and streams in east TN that get a ton of "fishing pressure" from tourists that allbeit they enjoy themselves, simply don't have the know how to catch a lot of smallmouth. Me and some buddies used to do it all the time. We'd exchange hello's and they'd say they weren't catching anything and we go right behind them and catch 30-40 small mouths in two hours. Now, you take a bunch of those scenarios, and I'd worry about lure shy fish but that be from catching pressure, not fishing pressure.
i dont know about other species but LMB has the ability to learn what not to eat and to pass that information down to its offspring. you can eventually end up with a lake full of hard to catch bass, and its directly proportional to the amount of catching.

on most of these lakes, especially KY lake, you have to think outside the box and throw different baits, modded baits and even downsize the overall bait package and presentation.

Spurhunter

Are we talking about hurting the fishery or fast boats?

If we are talking about hurting the fishery I believe tournaments conducted during hot weather and bedding season probably hurt the fishery some, but what's the difference in that and guys that take home every bass they catch to eat. Including big fish. 100% of those fish die. As far as tournament fishermen not "giving anything back", a lot of local bass clubs do habitat improvements and other activities. There's no doubt BASS and other organizations have had major influence on the catch and release movement. Not picking on the OP, but what have YOU done to give back to the fishery?

If we are talking about fast boats, the guys that have them are going to go fast whether in a tournament or not. I would argue idiots in wake boats and ski boats doing their thing are much more dangerous than fast bass boats. Most of them are drinking, and not paying attention to anything but the skier and the bikinis in the boat. The morons on 70 MPH jet skis buzzing in front of you and all around you are also more dangerous. Not to mention all the above hang around populated areas like boat ramps so they can hopefully get the attention they so richly deserve while screaming "look at me! look at me!" Who will enforce the speed limits you desire? The one game warden per county that really needs to be checking for creel and size limit violations? Everything in life is a risk. If I was too afraid to be on big water with other boaters and anglers I would fish places with no wake speed limits or gas engine restrictions. We can't rely on government to keep us safe every minute of our lives.

flyinpro

Not picking on the OP, but what have YOU done to give back to the fishery?
Your points are well taken. Beyond catch and release and taking a large trash bag home of stuff I picked up while fishing, I've done what most club guys have done.....bought my license.

Maybe these clubs & Tourney guys should pay a fee to go into the fund to support more hatchery and release activities.

Spurhunter

I've done what most club guys have done.....bought my license.

Maybe these clubs & Tourney guys should pay a fee to go into the fund to support more hatchery and release activities.
I'm confused by your logic here. You say you've done the same thing the club guys have done, yet you think they should have to pay a fee due to their club affiliation. I'm not in a bass club and only fish 1 tournament a year most years, so I'm not defending them because of personal reasons. But, I do see a problem with taking big females off the bed, carrying fish around in your live well all day in the summer, and releasing all the fish caught in a tournament in one spot. Some of the bigger trails have pontoon boats with holding tanks that release fish to different parts of the lake after weigh in, but I don't think it's that common.

BigRod

I don't think the tournament guys are hurting the lakes. More like giving over all fisherman bad names and thinking they are better then the average joe out fishing. I could careless if you have a 60k rig and fishing for millions, don't run in on top of me if I'm fishing. Oh and wave runners, I really like to have fun with those guys. I've been known to sling 1 oz egg sinkers at those clowns.

flyinpro

I'm confused by your logic here. You say you've done the same thing the club guys have done, yet you think they should have to pay a fee due to their club affiliation. I'm not in a bass club and only fish 1 tournament a year most years, so I'm not defending them because of personal reasons. But, I do see a problem with taking big females off the bed, carrying fish around in your live well all day in the summer, and releasing all the fish caught in a tournament in one spot. Some of the bigger trails have pontoon boats with holding tanks that release fish to different parts of the lake after weigh in, but I don't think it's that common.
That's because of the dead fish, re-located during the span and other things I've not thought of. As I said I think it's hurting the lakes.

In terms of buying licenses, that's the only fee. The individual doesn't impact the fisheries in a negative way near as much IMO.

West_Tn

On the subject of speed, I definitely believe I should be some type of limits. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting in a cove some place and a Van Damm wanna be, blasts in on you because he wants the spot. That's the reason for my OP. I hate regulations but some of these things are getting out of hand.

My main point is, these events hurt the fishing for all in my opinion
That makes zero sense. If somebody wants to move in on you they will do it at 20mph just like they will at 70mph.

No I don't condone anyone moving in on someone's spot or cutting them off, but speed has absolutely zero to do with it.

Last edited:

RobDooley

I live in Ooltewah about 20 minutes from Harrison Bay on Chickamauga. It is getting hammered! As someone previously mentioned, tournaments pretty much every single day. Look what happened to Guntervilles...nearly tanked...I believe the Chick is not far from the same. 200 boat MLF Toyota Series Tournament last week. They actually weighed good numbers. 51.13 lbs. won. It is so bad, I drive an hour (instead of 20 mins) and put in at a different ramp. Honestly, it is no longer enjoyable.

RobDooley

It blows my mind with all the technology available they're still doing weigh ins rather than catch and log on the spot.
I agree. Major League Fishing (MLF) has a referee on board each boat who weighs the fish, records weight and the fish is released. Apparently this does not apply to all Series, divisions or whatever, because the MLF Toyota Series on Chickamauga this past week had a weigh in.

flyinpro

I agree. Major League Fishing (MLF) has a referee on board each boat who weighs the fish, records weight and the fish is released. Apparently this does not apply to all Series, divisions or whatever, because the MLF Toyota Series on Chickamauga this past week had a weigh in.
Yea, they do it better than anyone else. Fish go back to just a few yards from where caught.

Still I think some restrictions are needed. Maybe mandatory registration of all clubs activitie/tournament's and then maybe some of them can be spread out so a lake or area can reduce the pressure and mortality rate of the fish. Just food for thought.

Spurhunter

I hate regulations
I want to believe you but every post you've made in this thread is about regulations, restrictions, permits, fees, mandatory registration, state oversight, and speed limits. It sounds like you love regulations and think the government will solve all the problems with more regulations.

You mentioned the "2 Van Dam wannabees" going by you with no regard for someone in a small boat. Have you ever had a wake boat, yacht, or houseboat go by? Maybe big lake fishing isn't for you. They can't keep everyone else off a big lake because someone in a small boat is afraid of other boat traffic. There are plenty smaller lakes with no wake speed limits, restrictions on gas engines, etc. Maybe that is more up your alley. I hate being on the water with all the yachts, ski boats, jet skis and wake boats, so I take some personal responsibility and stay off Pickwick on weekends during the summer.

Spurhunter

Major League Fishing is 100% made for TV. They don't have fans on site. The other tournament series have the weigh ins for the fans. MLF is able to weigh the fish and release them because of their TV deal.

Crow Terminator

Spurhunter — This is just my take on the boaters. Yachts and big cruiser boats tend to stay out on the main channels on the lakes I fish. The only time they might bother someone here is if they are out on the main river ledge fishing or maybe fishing near the marina where most of them dock. I seldom encounter those unless I too am moving down the channel; usually I don't encounter them while on the deck fishing. Jet skis and similar size pwc have more of an annoying sound to me than anything. Their wake isn't bad even when they are riding close by. They don't bother me. Wake and ski boats on the other hand, are a big thorn in the flesh. I'll even throw in those big pontoon/tritoons in that category. Especially the ones with twin 200s on the back. The only time to escape them is at night but my schedule don't allow for that. I just rarely fish the lake during the summer because of them.

But the biggest problem to me are the fishermen. A yacht, jetski, pontoon....once they initially go past and you ride their waves, they are gone. They don't make it a habit to come in on your spot while fishing and get so close they can jump from their boat to yours, or try to rub wieners with you. Fishermen will. Fishermen will see you catching breaking/schooling fish and intentionally run through the school to spook them. Fishermen will see you working docks down a bank, and come in and cut you off at the very next dock lol

Friday I went to Watts Bar. The area I had been catching crappie, was being tore up by 2 wake boats and a pontoon pulling a tube. I didn't even try it there but decided to go explore some new areas. I was looking for similar features to match what I had been successfully fishing down at my other place and found some on the maps. One of them was a cove that had a couple creek channels in it. I rounded the mouth of the cove and saw a boat already fishing it and swung back out to leave it to them. I went two coves down and found 2 schools of crappie. Dad and I were catching them good and I looked up after a couple hrs and saw the boat that had been in the other cove idling towards us. I said "oh boy, here they come in on us and I was nice and left them alone". I was quite surprised when they stopped within talking distance of us and thanked us for not coming in on them. They were out of towners that had a tournament the next day and had been down here fishing. They said they had never been on a lake to where so many fishermen would come in on top of you. I laughed and said "This is tame compared to Chickamauga". We talked a bit and then they left. It's bad when a boat NOT coming in on you seems so out of the ordinary that people stop to thank you.

WTM

Spurhunter — This is just my take on the boaters. Yachts and big cruiser boats tend to stay out on the main channels on the lakes I fish. The only time they might bother someone here is if they are out on the main river ledge fishing or maybe fishing near the marina where most of them dock. I seldom encounter those unless I too am moving down the channel; usually I don't encounter them while on the deck fishing. Jet skis and similar size pwc have more of an annoying sound to me than anything. Their wake isn't bad even when they are riding close by. They don't bother me. Wake and ski boats on the other hand, are a big thorn in the flesh. I'll even throw in those big pontoon/tritoons in that category. Especially the ones with twin 200s on the back. The only time to escape them is at night but my schedule don't allow for that. I just rarely fish the lake during the summer because of them.

But the biggest problem to me are the fishermen. A yacht, jetski, pontoon....once they initially go past and you ride their waves, they are gone. They don't make it a habit to come in on your spot while fishing and get so close they can jump from their boat to yours, or try to rub wieners with you. Fishermen will. Fishermen will see you catching breaking/schooling fish and intentionally run through the school to spook them. Fishermen will see you working docks down a bank, and come in and cut you off at the very next dock lol

Friday I went to Watts Bar. The area I had been catching crappie, was being tore up by 2 wake boats and a pontoon pulling a tube. I didn't even try it there but decided to go explore some new areas. I was looking for similar features to match what I had been successfully fishing down at my other place and found some on the maps. One of them was a cove that had a couple creek channels in it. I rounded the mouth of the cove and saw a boat already fishing it and swung back out to leave it to them. I went two coves down and found 2 schools of crappie. Dad and I were catching them good and I looked up after a couple hrs and saw the boat that had been in the other cove idling towards us. I said "oh boy, here they come in on us and I was nice and left them alone". I was quite surprised when they stopped within talking distance of us and thanked us for not coming in on them. They were out of towners that had a tournament the next day and had been down here fishing. They said they had never been on a lake to where so many fishermen would come in on top of you. I laughed and said "This is tame compared to Chickamauga". We talked a bit and then they left. It's bad when a boat NOT coming in on you seems so out of the ordinary that people stop to thank you.
quite opposite on KY lake. ive posted this for years, pontoons and ski boats love pulling their kids in 4-6 feet of water right on top of stumps and unmarked stake beds. ive even waved folks off the stake beds in fear of their kids getting their guts ripped out. for whatever reason they dont stay in the deeper channel water is beyond me. i guess they feel safer or something.

Crow Terminator

quite opposite on KY lake. ive posted this for years, pontoons and ski boats love pulling their kids in 4-6 feet of water right on top of stumps and unmarked stake beds. ive even waved folks off the stake beds in fear of their kids getting their guts ripped out. for whatever reason they dont stay in the deeper channel water is beyond me. i guess they feel safer or something.
The ski/wake boats and pontoons are who/what I said was that thorn in my flesh. You're talking shallow water riding... I see them all the time go through sandbar flats that my kayak wouldn't go through with the pedal drive down without getting dtuck. How they get through some of the places that they do...I have no idea. Same here with the shallow stumps. Those people are who ride in the areas I normally fish and why I don't bother to go. The bigger boats like the yachts and such don't ever go to those places here. Jet skis are unpredictable where they will be. They used to be bad about following the ski/wake boats and jumping the waves while the ski boats were pulling kids on tubes. Very dangerous and was the cause of several fights and verbal disputes. Now it seems like they stay more out on the main lake here but if the owners have lake homes, they tend to ride closer to home base.

rem270

Yea, they do it better than anyone else. Fish go back to just a few yards from where caught.

Still I think some restrictions are needed. Maybe mandatory registration of all clubs activitie/tournament's and then maybe some of them can be spread out so a lake or area can reduce the pressure and mortality rate of the fish. Just food for thought.
Just as you want so many restrictions on these tournament fisherman maybe they would like to see the lake shut down and restrict it to just the ones registered to fish that day or that weekend. Most people are aware when a tourney is going on and will either avoid it or prepare for a large crowd with boats zipping around everywhere. Me personally would just go somewhere else for the day or weekend but that's just me. It's called public waters for a reason.

Latest posts