Climbing Stand Questions

CharlieTN

I was recently given a Summit Viper and finally got the chance to hunt out of it today. The previous owner had put camo burlap on it that hung from the rail of the climber portion down below the foot platform. I used that today as well.

I sat up near a trail coming out of some really thick woods into the end of the field I normally hunt. Had 5 does come out at 8:20 this morning off to my far right. As I was turning to get in position, my foot pushed the burlap out causing it to sway. The deer saw that immediately while they had not spotted me moving my upper body. From that bit of movement I had of course 5 sets of eyes on me and finally one of them blew and they all took off.

Does anyone else use any sort of blind material around their climber and if so, how do you have it set up?

The length of the burlap I believe was a major part of the problem today. It hung at least 1 1/2' below the bottom platform.

By the say, loved the stand and hunting out of it. The basic seat was quite comfortable and it felt like a rock when it was all fastened down. Looking forward to hunting with it a lot more.

casjoker

I don't use the skirt, more trouble than it was worth. Get high and try to limit movement to when they aren't looking...probably not possible with 5 sets of very alert eyes scanning for danger! If gun hunting try reversing the seating position so the tree is between you and where the deer will likely come from. That has worked well for me in the past. They are a great stand and pretty comfy...I have nodded off in mine on more than one occasion.

DRSJ35

i have had a summit viper classic for years.I liked it so much that when my old one got stolen i bought another.It actually came with a skirt that went on it.I wouldn't use it to easy to hit with your feet.only if you can't get high off the ground.But that particular model weighs 30 pounds. Didn't use to bother me.I can still carry it a good way's.But i been looking at summit mini viper SD.weighs 18 pounds like the sound of that.

Hitit9999

I wouldn't use a skirt. You can get plenty high enough, and they'll just walk under you without even looking at you. I normally try to get 20-22 feet minimum. Had a few even smell the pullup rope, and never even look up.

Talome13

One solution, go higher. No way I would mess with a skirt on a climber. Less is more when using a climber. Climbers are by far my favorite way of hunting. Have killed countless deer on spontaneous hunts packing in my stand. Love it

Latest posts