Cleveland area

DntBrnDPig

I've got a traditional bow that I bought a few years ago. I want to get it in shooting shape. I ordered a string and some string silencers for it a year ago but never put it on.

Anyone know a good place I can take this to that would take the time to get met setup and running?

eddie c

I don't know of anyone in the Cleveland area. most trad stuff is DIY. did you get or have a stringer for your bow?

DntBrnDPig

I can put the string on that's not my issue. I'm looking for guidance on attaching the string silencer and then some help choosing the right spine weight and arrow heads and weight.

eddie c

ok. what kind of silencers?

what kind of arrows?

there are no set rules of thumb for setting nocks and brace heights like there is with compounds. these are trial and error set ups. after you get through the initial learning process it will be almost second nature on the next one. everything that involves shooting has an affect on this. form, clean release or plucking the string, spine, etc.

I shoot carbons. at my draw, I am shooting around 50#. depending on what is on sale, I buy the .500 spine shafts and use 175 gr heads to weaken the spine in order to get good flight out of my arrows. I start with my nock set at a 1/4" and slight adjust as needed. I also adjust my brace by 1 or 2 twists at a time.

Grill-n-man

I am in by no means an expert but have shot a recurve on and off for several years, but I have a buddy that is fixing to move his bow shop into a building in Dayton. He has the space to shoot 30yds and if if you want to come I will ask him if we can use it to tinker. Send me a pm with some of your questions and I will try to help and get back with you as soon as I can.

JOEBOY

I realize that I'm late to this thread ( and a new forum member) but if you can make your way to Knoxville, you would be welcome to our club _ Smoky Mountain Archers at the John Sevier Hunter Education Center on Rifle Range Road in Knoxville.

There are several of us there that can help you set up your traditional bow. I think the TWRA charges $5.00 for entrance to the range for non-members, we don't charge for helping you.

If you would like just PM me for details.

FOX FIRE

It aint rocket surgery, you do it once & have it down pat, mostly common sence (sense..scense ?? sence ??)

Take JB up on his offer, be a good way to learn some tricks of the trade, good of him to offer to help a brother out I'm think'n.

sagebrush

COME TO THE OLE FARTS SHOOT 3RD SUNDAY OF THE MONTH,GENISES CHECKING STATION ON CATOOSA,EVERY ONE WILL BE GLAD TO HELP,CHECK OUT THE WEB SIGHT,,,

eddie c

sagebrush said:
COME TO THE OLE FARTS SHOOT 3RD SUNDAY OF THE MONTH,GENISES CHECKING STATION ON CATOOSA,EVERY ONE WILL BE GLAD TO HELP,CHECK OUT THE WEB SIGHT,,,

I thought the Ol' Farts had ran out of gas. It's good to hear they are still at it.

DntBrnDPig

Awesome guys! Thanks so much for the offers to help. Apparently I have a friend that makes his own bows and I didnt even know. So I've asked him to help get me started.

The goal is for me to be self sufficient with it, but like someone else posted 'in person' help is always better.

I'd love to only use the traditional bow this year.

sneakybow

You can stop by my shop here in Cleveland, I shoot almost exclusively traditional gear myself and I'm constantly helping guys new or newer to the trad side get set up. I've also got a bunch of different arrows/shafts laying around to help tune and find out what flies best out of your set-up.

eddie c

sneakybow said:
You can stop by my shop here in Cleveland, I shoot almost exclusively traditional gear myself and I'm constantly helping guys new or newer to the trad side get set up. I've also got a bunch of different arrows/shafts laying around to help tune and find out what flies best out of your set-up.
The hardest part for me was shaft selection.

G8rntn

DntBrnDPig said:
I've got a traditional bow that I bought a few years ago. I want to get it in shooting shape. I ordered a string and some string silencers for it a year ago but never put it on.

Anyone know a good place I can take this to that would take the time to get met setup and running?

Guy off of Georgetown rd has a small bow shop that I would recommend to anyone. Not trying to make a killing and is nice as all get out. Does great work. Not sure of his name but u can't miss him.

Latest posts