Clearing rock

Bone Collector

I have some open areas on my land that I want to put some clover in. the problem is there is a lot of rocks. Not big ones, but lots of little ones. I sent off my soil sample, but I need to clear those dang rocks. I do not have a tractor, dozer, or ATV nor do i have the funds to get any of those machines.

I do have a truck though and i was told if i could aquire a box spring and gut it to the springs i could pull that and it would clear it. I can't box spring though (for free)

If i put some fence the kind that is squares down, weigh it down, and drag it behind my truck will it clear the top layer of rock and what not?

Bone Collector

jar said:
I pull a rock rake behind a small tractor and it works good. My place is in Rockvale so you imagine how many rocks. I can get clover to grow pretty good. Ive got 2 small areas with wheat growing that still have a lot of rock showing. I pile them up to direct water off the field.

yeah i don't have a tractor though? can you get a rock rake and pull it behind a truck? I wouldn't think so, but worth a try.

did you have to put Lime down?

BSK

As long as there is soil between those small rocks, I wouldn't spend the effort trying to get rid of them. Besides, frost-heaving will just bring more to the surface. I've seen clovers grow in a near gravel environment.

BSK

Bone Collector said:
BSK said:
As long as there is soil between those small rocks, I wouldn't spend the effort trying to get rid of them. Besides, frost-heaving will just bring more to the surface. I've seen clovers grow in a near gravel environment.

that is what it looks like a gravel parking lot.

We've got plenty of ridge-top plots that look like that. We aren't going to be growing soybeans or corn in those plots, but cool-season annuals will do fine. And if those plots stay shaded much of the afternoon, you can grow perennial clovers in them in summer.

Bone Collector

BSK said:
Bone Collector said:
BSK said:

that is what it looks like a gravel parking lot.

We've got plenty of ridge-top plots that look like that. We aren't going to be growing soybeans or corn in those plots, but cool-season annuals will do fine. And if those plots stay shaded much of the afternoon, you can grow perennial clovers in them in summer.

do you have to put Lime down, or do you just throw the seed? this is high clay content dirt. i doubt it will be shaded in the summer, but i want to plant something if the clover does not last.

BSK

Have the soil tested. Those type of plot soils are often highly acidic.

I've quit trying to grow summer crops in those cherty ridge-top plots. I just plant cool season annuals (in August or September) that will last as long into spring/summer as possible.

Bone Collector

BSK said:
Have the soil tested. Those type of plot soils are often highly acidic.

I've quit trying to grow summer crops in those cherty ridge-top plots. I just plant cool season annuals (in August or September) that will last as long into spring/summer as possible.

I sent the test off last Thursday, so we'll see what they say.

Do you think i'd be better off planting now (frost seeding) clover, or waiting until Aug/Sept. and plant something then?

BSK

If you want summer perennials, I would start frost-seeding now. If you are looking at just cool-season annuals, then wait until late summer.

I would give the summer perennials a shot. You never know. The downside to "experimentin"g with summer perennial clovers is their cost. Perennial clover seed can be really pricey per pound.

jmb4wd

I agree with BSK, just plant it one time and try it.

Youd be amazed at the places ive worked with as many rocks as dirt and they do just fine given you get seed to soil contact and some moisture along the way

jmb4wd

Bone collecter, we have a skid loader with a rock picker attachment and it does wonders on rocky ground, all the way down to gravel size rocks.

You could rent one at Farrer bro. Rental in the boro probably.

Bone Collector

jmb4wd said:
Bone collecter, we have a skid loader with a rock picker attachment and it does wonders on rocky ground, all the way down to gravel size rocks.

You could rent one at Farrer bro. Rental in the boro probably.

yeah i have thought about that. the guy that owns the land behind me last name is Farrer. he owns Percision wood works in M'boro. I wonder if they are related?

Boone 58

Rocks smaller than your fist arent much of an issue.....no matter what you do in really rocky soil you will bring others to the top as you till. prepare the soil year after year.....i have one field that is on a rock quarry and we affectionately call it "rocky top". I walke it several times per year and pick rocks and throw them from the field. works for me and i am telling you i have thousands on them on a 300 yard stretch.

warpheagle

A friend of mine had a similar situation as this, he hired a couple of underprivileged kids off of his son's football team and gave them each a 5 gal bucket and a pair of gloves and paid them for the help, bought them a good lunch, and got a lot of work done. Worked for him!

PcDeer

Clear cut about 4 acres three years ago, dozed it off two years ago, picked up rocks and roots for 4 weeks this past year to get it ready for spring planting. Turned it under and picked up roots and rocks for another week and finally we got our corn in.

Latest posts