cleaning brass with ceramic media

Chaneylake

blackpowder shooters expect to have real clean brass inside and out. using ceramic media does this for us, notice how the primer pocket is cleaned also, this brass in straight from the tumbler

2013-04-10_07-42-55_116_zpsad20315c.jpg

2013-04-10_14-34-51_50_zpsfd3bdf3a.jpg

2013-04-10_14-35-13_502_zps4d84fb01.jpg

DaveB

CL, questions:
1. you do anything before dumping the brass into the ceramic media?

2. You get any bridging in the flash hole?

3. You try any bottleneck cases? Bridging?

4. Where'd you get that media?

And thanks. My next purchase was gonna be a stainless steel liquid tumbler but I like what I see with the ceramic media.

KPH

What little black powder I have done I clean the cases in white vinger after shooting. I am mixing my ceramic with corn cob seams to to a good job and cuts down on the noisy. I just ordered a stainless now need to dirty up some brass for it.

Chaneylake

DaveB said:
CL, questions:

And thanks. My next purchase was gonna be a stainless steel liquid tumbler but I like what I see with the ceramic media.

no problem at all with flash hole

bottle neck cases take some extra care, you might have to go to smaller ceramic media

I soak fired brass in hot tap water and a squirt of dawn before placing in media, it might sit there for a week before its cleaned

I purchased media from Shiloh Sharps, it come with a cleaning liquid that you add to water in tumbler/vibrator. currently I am using a RCBS vibrating tumbler

my process is as follows: 100 pcs brass and media in tumbler, fill with tap water to level of media, add cleaning agent provided with media[some type of non foaming cleaner" a small shot of "Dawn" and a good squirt of "lime concentrate"

when I added the acidic lime it was the first time that brass was shiny on the inside, lemon concentrate did not perform for me as well as the lime did

some of the black powder shooters are liking the "stainless steel" media just as well as the ceramic

Chaneylake

DaveB said:
CL, questions:

just do as I did and put all the stuff into a RCBS vibrating tumbler and see what happens, I have been doing so for about 2 years and the tumbler is still running well

DaveB

Thanks CL. We load a LOT of different calibers and I am tired unto death of poking media out of flash holes. Plus, I find the walnut in particular accumulates inside the sizing die and it'll wipe cases pretty quick if you are not watching. I know for sure.

Chaneylake

DaveB said:
Thanks CL. We load a LOT of different calibers and I am tired unto death of poking media out of flash holes. Plus, I find the walnut in particular accumulates inside the sizing die and it'll wipe cases pretty quick if you are not watching. I know for sure.

just be careful with tight necked bottle neck cases, the larger ceramic that I use will jam up inside and be a nightmare to remove from inside the case

Latest posts