Christmas came early this year!

7-08 fan

I finally got the gun, scope and mounts in as luck would have it all on the same day. I got it all mounted up and put a few down the tube today got a decent 100yd zero and did a little barrel break in, now I can start working up a good load with the 300gr matchkings. I am really impressed with this rifle as far as fit and finish savage has came a long way in recent years and this rifle is a prime example of that improvement. I feel like I got more gun for my money with this rifle than any other rifle I own. Hopefully the accuracy will be as impressive, I believe it will be the gun is showing promise just in the 25rds I shot today.

IMG_0083.jpg

mr.big

I am very interested in how your rifle shoots,,

we have gotten our best,most consistant results with the 300 gr Lapua Scenar bullet at 2750 fps with 90 grs of Retumbo,,

please keep good records and post some results,,

7-08 fan

I will keep you posted. I loaded up some 300gr SMK's using 91.5gr of H-1000 and Federal 215's set them .005 off the lands to start with and will move from there if need be.

mr.big

did the brake come with the rifle and is does it work pretty well???

I know one thing for fact,,you dont want to be off to the side of that when it goes off,,it is also a good idea to wear ear plugs and muffs.

7-08 fan

Yeah hearing protection is a must with this thing. You can stand behind it and literally feel the concussion hit you.

The brake comes with the rifle and I believe it works well. The rifle as it is in the picture weighs 14 lbs and shooting 300gr SKM with near max loads recoil best compares to a sporter weight 7 Rem mag I own. I imagine it will be substanially less that your 300 Ultra Mag.

mr.big

I know the Sako muzzle brake tames the 338LM very well,,not counting the blast I would rather shoot the Sako 338 as most 308`s I have,

the first few shots take some getting used to ,kinda like somebody setting off dynamite in front of you,,but actual recoil in your shoulder is near zero,,

7-08 fan

It has a Sightron S3 6x24x50 with a mil/mil reticle. I like the scope so far its nice and bright with good clear glass, and has nice solid clicks that are audible and line up nice with the markings on the turrets. I just have'nt had time to try it out and see how it tracks.

Latest posts