Choosing a Handgun for Everyday Carry

Snake

Safety, no safety is all personal preference. Here is my problem: People buy pistols and never fire them. They holster them and carry them loaded with a box of brand new ammo they bought that same day. They don't even know if the ammo will cycle properly. They don't practice draw. They don't learn the mechanics of the gun.
I'm certainly in this category. As I've aged the time to do things rely upon spending quality time firing my handguns which I don't do . With that said my accuracy is all that's really falling off because I do know how to handle my sidearm . I'd like to be able to carry my Glock 21 45 cal. but it's cumbersome as I like to conceal as much as possible . In my line of thinking (dangerous I know) I don't want to be the one singled out if I'm in a situation where the perps have planned to do their evil deeds , I want to be that old guy you don't have to worry about 😉 . With that said though seeing you they may wait until you've left the establishment. I know looks can be deceiving but I've seen some carrying a sidearm that's too big for the small framed guy that's got them holstered . Big is not always better IMO. except if you was an LEO of some sort . For accuracy and recoil these small caliber 22's would be the go to IMO , both my Ruger single sixes are really accurate even sending multiple rounds as fast as you can being a revolver .....but they are 22"s . Also you'd have to be dressed like a cowboy donning them 😂 . Every setup should be as comfortable to the one carrying the sidearm as possible and one that will do the job ....meaning the right tool for the occasion. I will agree to all posts stating that once you pull your sidearm it should be like doing something you do every day , and the only way that could be possible is by training were it be with an instructor or yourself. Training is doing something your not accustomed to do but by doing it over and over until you've mastered it to the best of your ability like an every day chore . All sports players even youngsters train and that's the only way you can get better to the best of your ability . Now I'm the pot calling the kettle black because I just don't do this anymore 🙁. Like I've said to my children in rasing them " do as I say not as I do " giving reference to the younger crowd using this site and agreeing with those on this site that does know what they are talking about . Protecting what's dear to you and not trying to be a hero but one day you may have to be that " HERO" !

Rabbitkil

I'm certainly in this category. As I've aged the time to do things rely upon spending quality time firing my handguns which I don't do . With that said my accuracy is all that's really falling off because I do know how to handle my sidearm . I'd like to be able to carry my Glock 21 45 cal. but it's cumbersome as I like to conceal as much as possible . In my line of thinking (dangerous I know) I don't want to be the one singled out if I'm in a situation where the perps have planned to do their evil deeds , I want to be that old guy you don't have to worry about 😉 . With that said though seeing you they may wait until you've left the establishment. I know looks can be deceiving but I've seen some carrying a sidearm that's too big for the small framed guy that's got them holstered . Big is not always better IMO. except if you was an LEO of some sort . For accuracy and recoil these small caliber 22's would be the go to IMO , both my Ruger single sixes are really accurate even sending multiple rounds as fast as you can being a revolver .....but they are 22"s . Also you'd have to be dressed like a cowboy donning them 😂 . Every setup should be as comfortable to the one carrying the sidearm as possible and one that will do the job ....meaning the right tool for the occasion. I will agree to all posts stating that once you pull your sidearm it should be like doing something you do every day , and the only way that could be possible is by training were it be with an instructor or yourself. Training is doing something your not accustomed to do but by doing it over and over until you've mastered it to the best of your ability like an every day chore . All sports players even youngsters train and that's the only way you can get better to the best of your ability . Now I'm the pot calling the kettle black because I just don't do this anymore 🙁. Like I've said to my children in rasing them " do as I say not as I do " giving reference to the younger crowd using this site and agreeing with those on this site that does know what they are talking about . Protecting what's dear to you and not trying to be a hero but one day you may have to be that " HERO" !

I was in a class once and the instructor was talking trash about people who carry a .22 for self defense and then told a story of a woman that was attack by a much larger man she emptied 6 shots in him with a 22 which caused him to flee later being found in the hospital bleeding but alive…

he was annoyed when I pointed out to me it worked perfectly it stopped the attack and she doesn't have to live with the fact she took a life and worry that she could have handled it another way and the class for the part agreed with me

FTG-05

Manual safety is great unless you're a lefty looking for a compact or subcompact carry gun. Not much out there with an ambi safety
M17/M18 come with ambi safetys:

IspVA77.jpg

Omega

Well, though I don't like safeties, I do like holsters, I bet this guy wished he did too.
Man dead after accidental shooting at Lenoir City High School after graduation ceremony
According to a police report, the man's Derringer pistol accidentally went off and a bullet hit him in the upper thigh. I said he was waiting for a rideshare service with his mother-in-law when he stood up to put on his jacket. She heard a small pop, and the man started bleeding before falling to the ground, according to the report.

Bambi Buster

AT Hiker

This "expert" from our very own Dover, TN claims that a 1911 with one in the chamber and the hammer NOT back is as useless as a empty Glock.

Wonder what his thoughts on the SIG are?

recurve60#

One only has to see the design of the trigger, and the sharp edge of the sear and the few thousandths away from falling off the actuator to know that, mechanically, it's possible to be jarred into falling.
This is why I can't make myself carry appendix. I just can't.
Even though I am a few 10ths of a second faster from concealed draw to bullet in kill zone from appendix.

7mm08

Safety, no safety is all personal preference. Here is my problem: People buy pistols and never fire them. They holster them and carry them loaded with a box of brand new ammo they bought that same day. They don't even know if the ammo will cycle properly. They don't practice draw. They don't learn the mechanics of the gun.
I put at least 500 rounds of ball & defensive thru before I CARRY it.

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

One only has to see the design of the trigger, and the sharp edge of the sear and the few thousandths away from falling off the actuator to know that, mechanically, it's possible to be jarred into falling.
That's why I drop test triggers, especially those I have done a trigger job on.

recurve60#

That's why I drop test triggers, especially those I have done a trigger job on.
I absolutely do not install aftermarket triggers on pistols. If I don't like a trigger, i buy a new pistol with a better trigger.
That trial is over though for me. I have a gun with a trigger that, to me, on a timer, cant get better.

FLTENNHUNTER1

backyardtndeer

I absolutely do not install aftermarket triggers on pistols. If I don't like a trigger, i buy a new pistol with a better trigger.
That trial is over though for me. I have a gun with a trigger that, to me, on a timer, cant get better.
I know this thread is about handguns, but i wasn't talking just about pistols. I test all the firearms that I work on.

Knothead

I disagree, I have been carrying a Glock 23 off and on for almost 30 years, and never have I had any issues with it. I owned it for almost 7 or 8 years when they had that drop issue and it never even worried me, but I sent it back to them and they replaced almost the entire lower. Pistols like this are simple, you keep your finger off the trigger and it doesn't shoot. I actually look for pistols that don't have a safety, I never use it anyway.
Agree 100% with this. In the heat of the moment, tunnel vision kicks in and a safety is just one more thing you need to remember to disengage.

david k.

I have the Springfield Armory subcompact XD9. It doesn't have a manual safety. It does have a grip safety in the rear part of the handle. Meaning it needs to be pressed by maintaining a solid and firm grip. And it also has a trigger safety, meaning it needs to be pulled past a certain point to fire. Basically you need a good firm grip to fire the gun, and keep your booger hook off the trigger to avoid an accidental fire.

Having said that, I also like my Ruger SP101 for the simplicity.
I was going to post an almost identical comment....I have an XD9 and a very compact, but hammerless, revolver and would never worry about shooting myself with either.

Snake

We talk about handling handguns and how good a shot we are , some of you no doubt are very good me not so much I just don't practice enough anymore . This is a good thing knowing you can hit your target when you pull your sidearm and fire it a very important part of self defense . But we are leaving a part out which IMO is just as important... having the guts if you want to call it that to take a life . Some of you have been in the armed forces and may have taken a life but this would be a totally different scenario. War is war and doing as your commanded to do is something I really don't think would charged to you spiritually, I could be wrong but it's my opinion . Ask yourself this question " could you" ?? Would your morals allow you to be at peace with yourself if indeed you took a life even in self defense ? This is very important believe me something you need to do IMO is really and truly ask yourself even in prayer need be !! You need to know your decision way before it's ever presented before you ... hopefully never pressed before you but ....... you need to know your answer ! I don't mean on this site or before others but within yourself . It would be a hard thing to take a life but any hesitation could mean your life !! You could be the best there ever was handling and shooting a handgun but could you kill another human being ? I do believe with all that's in me and what I've read that I do think a man could get forgiveness for taking a life if he thinks his life is in danger or if a loved one's life is in danger but..... can you live with yourself ? I'd say it's ruined a many good men in the taking of a life . I remember what Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven ... he said when you kill a man you've took everything he had and everything he's ever going to have . I believe I once told of my uncle having killed two men in his life of how it effected him . My uncle was kinda a cold man and someone you didn't want to mess with. He wasn't bad as in "badarse" but someone that would take to the top level if you get my jest . When he reach a certain point he was ready to kill you not just hurt you but kill you . Well anyway once the conversation came up between me and him about the two men's life he'd taken , if it bothered him . Cold hearted as I thought he was his answer stuck with me . He said if he didn't take something to help him sleep he just couldn't go to sleep because he'd see the faces of the men he'd killed !! I figured that it didn't bother him especially after it had been quite a long time . Personally I've asked myself this question and can live with my decision just a thought to my brothers while on this subject. Just a FYI if you will.

Latest posts