Choke tube

Andy S.

All chokes are different, and most hunters focus on the exit diameter only. The internals of a choke and the wad stripping abilities (taper of the internal opening) can vary (think thousandths) which will impact pellet and pattern performance (375+) with TSS #9s. Generally speaking TSS, does not have to be choked like lead (Longbeard shells), thus I would be suspect of the choke in general. The only way to know for sure is to buy it and shoot it. With so many mail ordering stuff these days, and the possibility of a return, I'd stick with the tried and true chokes that others have used with TSS #9s for the last decade. Furthermore, I've read hundreds of posts on 3-4 forums about choke recommendations for Remington 870 20G TSS #9s, and I've never seen a Longbeard choke tested or recommended.

Andy S.

The resin looks like clear super glue if you will that holds the pellets together where they are not loose like traditional shotshells. Youtube likely has a video, or you could cut one open and see it firsthand.

Andy S.

Just trying to spare others the time, money and wear and tear on their guns because many of us have done the homework for them. I was cracked out on the perfect pattern in my 20G several years back and spent a good bit of funds chasing perfection to eventually realize the return on investment was simply not there. I absolutely love Indian Creek choke tubes, but my $95 special order IC choke tube sits in the safe now because my $35 Cabelas's brand ported Carlson choke outperformed it in my gun, with my hand loaded 3" TSS #9 shells.

rukiddin

I've hand loaded and patterned a lot of tss in about every gauge (no 16 or 10).

keeping in mind that the shotgun itself will play as big a role in the pattern as the choke, the best patterns I've ever witnessed were
12 gauge: mossberg 835 with an archaic primos jelly head. 3" 2oz 8-1/2's
20 gauge: 2-3/4" 1-5/8oz 9's, Winchester SX3 with a Indian creek .555.
28 gauge: 1oz 9's compnchoke Improved mod
410: 3" 5/8 oz 9-1/2's. Compnchoke .385.

for the 20's, my best patterns come from 2-3/4" shells. I seldom load a 3" anymore simply because the 2-3/4" out pattern the 3's all day everyday.

Andy S.

for the 20's, my best patterns come from 2-3/4" shells. I seldom load a 3" anymore simply because the 2-3/4" out pattern the 3's all day everyday.
Describe "best" and "out pattern" in your words? Reason I ask is I suspect many of us have differing opinion on the "best" pattern. Do you mean number of pellets in a 10" circle, most pellet efficiency for the load (# of pellets in the shell versus # of pellets inside the 20" circle), or what. Just wondering what constitutes the "best" pattern to you. Best in my opinion is best for hunting; uniform and even distribution of pellets inside the 20" cirlce at 40 yards, very forgiving, while still plenty adequate to kill further than we should shoot.

Last edited:

rukiddin

Describe "best" and "out pattern" in your words? Reason I ask is I suspect many of us have differing opinion on the "best" pattern. Do you mean number of pellets in a 10" circle, most pellet efficiency for the load (# of pellets in the shell versus # of pellets inside the 20" circle), or what. Just wondering what constitutes the "best" pattern to you. Best in my opinion is best for hunting; uniform and even distribution of pellets inside the 20" cirlce at 40 yards, very forgiving, while still plenty adequate to kill further than we should shoot.

All the 3" 20's I load at 1-5/8oz, I struggle to get 300 in a 10" circle and the pattern seems to be blown out. I'll consistently get 300+ with 2-3/4" 1-1/2oz or 1-5/8oz loads with a good uniform core. All done with a Indian Creek .555. That's how I base it. If that's too tight then my buddies back off to a .560+ or larger. Turkeys Never have been and never will be my thing but I've handloaded tss for 7 years and I love everything about it. I started out loading it in subgauges for waterfowl. From T's to 10's, I love being able to stretch a shotgun to its fullest potential and patterning it. A lot like guys with rifles. But a rifle to me is nothing more than a tool. Shotguns are my "toys".

Latest posts