• Help Support TNDeer:

Chiropractors

TX300mag

What are your thoughts?

I'm just about convinced that they are more legit than most mainstream doctors.

I've had hip pain since last July that has gradually gotten worse. I don't really like going to doctors, but this had gotten bad enough that I wake up at 2-4:00 every morning from pain. At first I attributed to arthritis, but it felt different and was more consistent. It finally hit me last week as I realized that climbing in and out of my truck was probably overextending it and keeping it from healing.

I decided to go to a chiropractor close to work. I was in and out in just over an hour with X-rays, diagnosis, treatment, and some relief. I should have figured it out a long time ago, but it was muscular after all. She worked me over pretty good but last night was completely different than the last few months.

Had I gone to the doctor I would have probably gotten a couple of prescriptions for NSAIDS and some referrals and been waiting. What do you think?

bobbuck

I have no experience with chiropractor, but I have used an Osteopathic Doctor before. An osteopath can do adjustments, but is a real Doctor so they can prescribe and inject also. Not all do adjustments so you will have to do a little research. He really helped me years ago with back pain. I have found that the best cure for my back pain is staying below 190 on the scales. I also have had good results with physical therapy for shoulder problems in the past.

Boll Weevil

Went once and doubt I'll ever try again; no improvement from my visit.

Like you, it ended up being something I was doing day in/day out that was causing the problem...my chair, keyboard, and monitor at work. Fortunately we have a fellow at work that REALLY understands ergonomics. He got me straightened out in no time...neck and shoulder pain gone within a day or 3.

TX300mag

I really like the approach of allowing the body to heal itself (as it was designed to) rather than automatically going to pills and surgery. This doctor discussed stem cell injection to regenerate cartilage in my hips, but it's not cheap and definitely not a starting point in treatment.

AT Hiker

Let’s see, mainstream doctors might have a course in nutrition. In reality they cover a chapter or two of it.
They also have a very limited study of pharmacology, sometimes a very limited exposure to it.
So, that leave the obvious. A mainstream practitioner prescribes loads of pills to bandaid a symptom that is likely caused by nutritional fallacies in our lifestyle. The two least studied aspects of medicine, yet the two most exposed in their daily work life.
It took my wife a couple years but she finally found a good doctor locally. Actually, she sees the NP. The clinic is 100% focused on natural medicine and nutrition. I have heard similar success stories with certain chiropractors as well.
Now, if I need a stitch or surgery those well trained medical doctors are my go to. But in day to day healthy lifestyles, much better options exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old cull buck hunter

Some of the best money I spend, helps with headaches. A good Chiropractor can tell you whats wrong just by checking your alignment if it's related to the spine.

pastorbmp

There are different "types" of chiropractors, in my estimation. There are those who think they can fix everything from an ear ache to leukemia (these are quacks in my estimation) - THEN...there are chiropractors who focus on adjustments. I'll give you my story in Reader's Digest form:

About 10 years ago I developed severe neck pain. It started at the base of my neck, and the pain went up into the crown of my head. It was constant, throbbing, toothache type pain. It was unbearable. Much of my time is spent reading and studying - this was the absolute worse on my neck. I finally,l after a few years, got on a regiment of taking Ibuprofen (10 per day) which gave me some much needed relief. I went to my regular doctor - who didn't help any. I was very concerned about the number of Ibuprofen I was taking...I was able to wean myself down to 6 per day and cope with the pain. Because of the pain, I had ceased my 100 pushups I did per day for many years.

Finally, about maybe 2 years ago, after getting several recommendations - I visited our local chiropractor. He did X-rays of my neck and saw the problem immediately. Two of the disks in the lower part of my neck were nearly "closed up". He prescribed regular visits and adjustments to increase mobility, which would decrease swelling and ease the pain. I was HIGHLY skeptical, but since he was the first doctor to figure out my problem - I thought I'd give it a try. Today I am almost 100% pain free. I rarely take an ibuprofen now. I can read or study without any pain. I am back to doing pushups (not back up to 100), I have been able to take up running and have lost 50lbs and at 53 I feel better physically than I have in my entire life. I am down to one visit a month at $35. Best $35 I spend. The chiropractor has been a literal Godsend in my life.

RUGER

Supporter
My wife has been through pure HEYAL the last year and a half with her foot.
I am 100% completely and totally convinced that my best friends son is the one that messed her up.
He is in school for that and he talked her into laying in the floor and he "popped" her back.
Immediately after she got up out of the floor she couldn't walk.
No prior problems like this at all.

A year later she went to a chiropractor in town.
Her first visit one leg was almost 3" longer than the other.
One side of her pelvis was shifted forward and the opposite side was shifted backwards.
Pretty sure that was from wearing that God foresaken boot for 9 months that the foot quack gave us.

She started out going twice a week and now she is down to once a week.
The Chiropractor has helped her a LOT.

I have never been but probably would benefit from it.

Jon54

I went to one eons ago for lower back pain. This particular guy came with glowing reports from a number of friends. I saw him for 8 visits and I was no better than before I went.

Shanman

There are good ones and bad ones, do your research as with anything else. My chiropractor is awesome! He has done more for me than I ever dreamed he could. When you start out they might need to see you 2-3 times a week for several weeks, this is the aggressive stage of getting you lined back up. Then they will back you off to once a week for several more weeks, then once a month for maintenance. I'm sure it differs case by case, but for the average working man this seems to be the standard. Again, do your research and get references, a bad one can screw you up quick.

RobDooley

I was in a bad way with my back. Difficult to walk and a lot of pain. My wife visits a chiropractor on a regular basis. She finally convinced me to go. I was hurting and limped into the place. Walked out pretty much pain free. I swear this is a true story.

Antler Daddy

Supporter
Y’all give this a try and let me know what you think. It got rid of all my kinks. I had shoulder knot for years that is gone. It is great!

Crow Terminator

My wife was having hip pain where some days she almost couldn’t walk, squat, etc. Everybody recommended a chiropractor in town and she went. He took xrays, etc and said she was out of alignment and began treating her. At first this seemed to be helping but after a while, she started having to go back more frequently. Then it was to the point that he could put everything back in alignment and by the next day, she was hurting again. Long story short...she’s having to have a full hip replacement next week at the age of 40 and her orthopedic surgeon said the chiropractor hurt her case more then helping. If she would have went to the orthopedic doctor first, they could have did a scope procedure and fixed her problem. Instead, his constant popping the ball in and out of the socket caused a lot of damage, spurs, etc and now she’s having to have the replacement.

backyardtndeer

A good Chiropractor can tell you whats wrong just by checking your alignment if it's related to the spine.
^^^this^^^
Some figure it out by just watching you walk.

Good ones are far and few between unfortunately. All doctors seem to want to do is prescribe steroids for back problems. A good chiropractor can do a world of good. Bad one could make you crippled.

Jon54

Never in a million years would I put an “average” chiro over an average Dr.

I've struggled with lower back pain most of my adult life. I tried a back cracker eons ago. After 10 sessions, I was no better and maybe worse. My internist had X-rays and scans done and said I have a bulging disk along with arthristis simply due to age. I had physical therapy and have learned to live with it.

A friend suggested I give his Chiro a try after I had to leave the golf course because of back pain. Well, after one adjustment, my pain was gone. Did he fix my problem, yes, but only temporarily. A surgeon could fix it if I was willing to go thru surgery and the rehab. I’m not.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts