• Help Support TNDeer:

Chicken pics

jag1

Had many different ones over the years. Converted my dog pen to a chicken coop but had to get rid of them once I got my Boykin 4 years ago. Miss the eggs. The buffs were always the sweetest but I was partial to the Wyandotte's look.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Safari Hunt

Barred Rock and ISA brown....plan to add more in the spring....wife and I both enjoy having chickens around.
Fly tying time! Knew of some guys who would help with a "chicken killing" as they called it to get the feathers. They got the feathers and the owner got a good supply of chicken for the freezer.

DoubleRidge

Fly tying time! Knew of some guys who would help with a "chicken killing" as they called it to get the feathers. They got the feathers and the owner got a good supply of chicken for the freezer.

Occasionally I'll see a tail feathers off the rooster on the ground that would likely be good for fly tying....I guess? Never tied any?...but the feathers are beutiful.

Safari Hunt

Parks are good places for feathers. Not all feathers are suitable for tying. Mostly the long neck feathers. Had a college professor who raised a certain breed for feathers. Got a nice full peacock feather at the Museum of Apalachia above Knoxville.

rukiddin

Here’s my free range barred rock rooster hanging with one of the goats. I let him and his two ladies roam free. We hatched them in our incubator after I first bought it as a test run. Got the eggs from my neighbor. I have 23 purebred Dominiques I keep in in a coop and have an outside run.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

jlanecr500

Supporter
Really brings back memories. My uncle, who was the only dad I ever had, was a poultry fanatic. He had a creek on the property with more than 100 ducks. He had what I called the big chicken lot for egg layers. He had his own bloodline of several different breeds. Golden and Silver Sebright were his true passion. I remember when I was 8 or so in the middle 70"s, we went to South Carolina to a show. When we got to the show on awards day, his lock had been cut and his rooster was gone from the cage. He flipped out only to find out they moved his bird to championship row. That rooster won best in class AND overall show. A fellow immediately offered him $500 for that bird, which he quickly turned down. Him and a friend from Florida had collaborated to create that bloodline and they didn't share it period. Sorry for the long post. I really miss him and wish I'd paid more attention to.learn more about his passion.

Latest posts