Chicken Farms

sallee-bo

sallee-bo

My neighbor moved to Florida after her husband died and has sold her farm to Tyson Chicken. Looks like I'm going to have a dang chicken farm about 350 yards from my house. My neighbors (one of which is her son) and I are not very happy campers this morning. Maybe I'm over reacting but I am highly pizzed right now. :livid: :livid: :livid:

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Depending on which way the wind is blowing that could be very bad. :(

S

Smo

The bright side of it is , you’ll have some great predator hunting now !

I hope you are up wind from the prevailing winds.

When I was a Kid there were 4 houses about 300 to 400 yards East of us.

Most of the time we didn’t smell anything. But with an East wind......

J

jb3

A few good things:

Good deal on fertilizer

Fried chicken everyday

Coyote bait (they'll be dead chickens everyday to get rid of)

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
pressfit":uz5c259b said:
I can't imagine the smell when they burn the dead ones..

I have only known one person that had a barn.
They would take all the dead ones and throw them into a pile out behind the barn then when they, Tyson, picked up that load of birds they would clean the barns out and add all the poop to the pile of dead chickens, then spread that entire combination as fertilizer.

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
That really sucks. Your property value just got killed. That happened in my area recently to an upscale sort of neighborhood that Yankees and Floridians bought into. Now they can’t get 1/4 of their investment back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.W.308

J.W.308

We lived in Danville Arkansas for a year. The smell from the chicken farms around us was tough at times .

rem270

rem270

Supporter
J.W.308":3m3tsdf8 said:
We lived in Danville Arkansas for a year. The smell from the chicken farms around us was tough at times .
That's only 20 miles or so from where I'm living now. Lots of poultry going on around here!

sallee-bo

sallee-bo

I could understand the need to sell it quickly if she really needed the money but her husband left her extremely well off. She is living with one of her sisters and her sister is putting a bug in her ear and is more than happy to help her spend it. Her son has begged her not to do this but she just says sorry.

Kimber45

Kimber45

I’m afraid that deal is about to infiltrate our area along with all the other bad stuff I hear comes along with a Tyson plant, since there’s one opening literally 18 miles from us that will supposedly employ 1200+ ppl in an area where there aren’t another 1200 ppl who WANT to work to begin with. Tells me they’ll be trucking ppl in to work :( and that chicken houses will go up everywhere

B

BULL MOOSE

It could be a wrong assumption, but I would bet that that industry attracts Spaniards.

U

Urban_Hunter

I would get out before word gets out... no way I'd live that close to a chicken producer. You ever seen the flies? Look like something out of "The Mummy"

Kimber45

Kimber45

BULL MOOSE":2t0h0lzf said:
It could be a wrong assumption, but I would bet that that industry attracts Spaniards.

My concern, since we don’t have the employee pool to feed it, is that they have the federal government relocating refugee families etc. and all the crime etc that normally follows suit

Kirk

Kirk

I have three 25,000 capacaity chicken houses about 1/4 mile from my house. I never smell them. The new houses and technology seems to keep the odor down.

catman529

catman529

Just driving down the road near chicken houses has a kind of stank to it. Sorry bout your bad luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Planking

Planking

I know of one that within a 1/2 mile it's putrid. Houses around it have been for sale for years. I don't get how polluting someone else's property like that is legal. It would make me very upset as well.

J.W.308

J.W.308

A lot of the people that have contracts with Tyson are getting out of the chicken farm business . Lots of hard work and stink plus it doesn't pay that well . The county judge in Crawford county Arkansas got out of it last year because he was tired of it . Told me it was a 16 hr a day job and he couldn't keep help . He had 4 chicken houses .

R

rukiddin

Good lord y’all are hilarious. Bunch of city slickers. Hahahah. I grew up in NC and chicken houses where every where and several of my friends have chicken houses and hog houses. And I worked for a poultry company after college and was in chicken houses 5 days a week. The only time the smell is really noticeable is when they are cleaning out. Rest of the time you may catch a whiff every now and then but it dam sure was never worth moving or selling houses. You go to central and eastern NC and there are huge extremely nice houses built next to chicken houses. I guess when you grow up around it, it just ain’t that big a deal. Move or stay that’s your call and your money but I promise you with the way today chicken houses are built, it’s not going to be as bad as you think it is.

Just like we always said when you smelled manure being spread........”smells like money”.........