Chickamauga Drowning

rsimms

Many folks have seen the news about a drowning on Chickamauga Lake. In fact, several Scenic City Fishing clients have reached out to make sure it did not involve any of our guides (which it did not). Crews are still searching for the body of a woman who disappeared after their canoe overturned. Another man and woman managed to survive. News reports indicate the three were not wearing life preservers. Water temperatures are hovering near 45 degrees, a perfect storm for what is called "Cold Water Immersion." When you first go into extremely cold water there is a response called "cold shock response." You will start to hyperventilate immediately. For one to three minutes, you breathe very fast and deep, uncontrollably. If you go underwater, you could easily swallow water and die. This is the likely cause of many, if not most, cold water drownings. Once that response goes away, you're fine…for a little while. According to Scientific American, a person can survive in 41-degree (Fahrenheit) water for about 15 minutes before the muscles get weak. You will lose coordination and strength as the blood moves away from the extremities and toward the core, of the body. Wearing an approved PFD is always wise but in the winter everyone on the water should consider it mandatory, please!
02012021_cold_water_immersion.jpg

Safari Hunt

I searched for a photo I took at the marina on Dale Hollow Lake. The COE had a sign noting how many people drowned and didn't wear a PFD/life jacket. It was an eye-opener as to the number.

7mm08

Many folks have seen the news about a drowning on Chickamauga Lake. In fact, several Scenic City Fishing clients have reached out to make sure it did not involve any of our guides (which it did not). Crews are still searching for the body of a woman who disappeared after their canoe overturned. Another man and woman managed to survive. News reports indicate the three were not wearing life preservers. Water temperatures are hovering near 45 degrees, a perfect storm for what is called "Cold Water Immersion." When you first go into extremely cold water there is a response called "cold shock response." You will start to hyperventilate immediately. For one to three minutes, you breathe very fast and deep, uncontrollably. If you go underwater, you could easily swallow water and die. This is the likely cause of many, if not most, cold water drownings. Once that response goes away, you're fine…for a little while. According to Scientific American, a person can survive in 41-degree (Fahrenheit) water for about 15 minutes before the muscles get weak. You will lose coordination and strength as the blood moves away from the extremities and toward the core, of the body. Wearing an approved PFD is always wise but in the winter everyone on the water should consider it mandatory, please!View attachment 65658
AKA. Laryngospasm....... on Autopsy there is little to no water found in the lungs.

WTM

I don't mean ANY disrespect at all by saying this but.... There is no way in hades I would be on that body of water in a canoe, ESPECIALLY in the Winter.
Scares me just thinking about it.
yeah i saw one in jville the other day, with a motor on it. i thought to myself, that dude is crazy.

Latest posts