Cheatham WMA Quota failures

FTP

Has the TWRA and its management realized how big of a failure that this year's Quota hunts have been in its intent to bring more traffic on the WMA and increase harvest numbers?
Why were so many Quotas permits (except for the first muzzleloader) left over after the drawing?

Pic IN the Casa

The computer draw only allowed you to get ONE permit. They let the others expire. I was told that by the region 2 office.
Because there were so many putting in for draws the site bogged down and screwed a lot of people over.
Hopefully they will plan better for next year.

FTP

The computer draw only allowed you to get ONE permit. They let the others expire. I was told that by the region 2 office.
Because there were so many putting in for draws the site bogged down and screwed a lot of people over.
Hopefully they will plan better for next year.
No chance I am believing that. Hundreds of left over permits tells me of a lack of interest in what they were selling. Drive the WMA during any of these hunts with the exception of the first muzzleloader and you will understand what I am talking about. They need to quit thinking that they know more than we the people.

Pic IN the Casa

No chance I am believing that. Hundreds of left over permits tells me of a lack of interest in what they were selling. Drive the WMA during any of these hunts with the exception of the first muzzleloader and you will understand what I am talking about. They need to quit thinking that they know more than we the people.
Name someone that got more than one draw permit for Cheatham.

FTP

Name someone that got more than one draw permit for Cheatham.
I got drawn for two of them, that is not the issue though. Depending on who you ask within the TWRA, you will get different answers as to why they have severely restricted use of it. Come up there and camp out and talk to other hunters and you'll understand I'm talking about.
Did you not apply for two drawings?

Pic IN the Casa

Y
I got drawn for two of them, that is not the issue though. Depending on who you ask within the TWRA, you will get different answers as to why they have severely restricted use of it. Come up there and camp out and talk to other hunters and you'll understand I'm talking about.

Yes. I did as did my son. The website was so bogged down that it screwed us both up. After we were awarded one each it would not let us apply for more. Even though there were many left.
Later that day I called the region 2 office and was told they'd look into it. They did call back later and told me only one permit per person.

FTP

Y

Yes. I did as did my son. The website was so bogged down that it screwed us both up. After we were awarded one each it would not let us apply for more. Even though there were many left.
Later that day I called the region 2 office and was told they'd look into it. They did call back later and told me only one permit per person.
So when you apply for the computer drawing, you can select one or two drawings
I was awarded two quotas (2nd Muzzleloader and first rifle)
When the leftover quotas became available to pick, there were so many "leftover" permits available, it tells me that there was not the interest in this quota deal that the Agency had hoped for. It is closed right now in the freaking middle of the rut and the whole 22k acres is off limits..... pathetic on their behalf!!!

tahtah

Not to take a side in this discussion, but just an FYI, I got 3 of the 4 available hunts at Cheatham.

When the quota hunts first became available, I was online at 8:00am that morning and got my first 2 choices, then when the leftovers became available, I got on at 8:00am and got my third choice. I know the system was a little bogged down and it took me a couple of tries, but I was able to get 3 of the 4 available hunts and I think that's the most possible, the way it's set up.

Like you, I wish Cheatham were open this week. I saw several good deer moving last week, but not the big boys yet. I'm guessing this week they are running around wondering where everyone is. I'm sure there will still be some activity next week. At least I hope so.

I don't know what TWRA's logic or reasoning was on these hunt dates and closed dates, but I was able to draw the available hunts as I think TWRA intended for the system to work.

FTP

Not to take a side in this discussion, but just an FYI, I got 3 of the 4 available hunts at Cheatham.

When the quota hunts first became available, I was online at 8:00am that morning and got my first 2 choices, then when the leftovers became available, I got on at 8:00am and got my third choice. I know the system was a little bogged down and it took me a couple of tries, but I was able to get 3 of the 4 available hunts and I think that's the most possible, the way it's set up.

Like you, I wish Cheatham were open this week. I saw several good deer moving last week, but not the big boys yet. I'm guessing this week they are running around wondering where everyone is. I'm sure there will still be some activity next week. At least I hope so.

I don't know what TWRA's logic or reasoning was on these hunt dates and closed dates, but I was able to draw the available hunts as I think TWRA intended for the system to work.
Same here... got theee of the four
The rut is on full throttle right. And now they won't let us play!

FTP

I'd like to see this...
September 1 - September 30 Archery no quota
October 1 - October 29 Muzzleloader 1500 quota, 1 buck, 3 does
October 30 -31 Juvenile
November 1 - November 30 Rifle 1500 quota
1 buck, 3 does
December 1 - December 31 Rifle 1500 quota
1 buck, 3 does
If more hunter participation is their goal and increased harvest.... (that is what they say if you ask em) this will do it.

19_A_CPT

ive been tempted to pick up some leftover permits there each year but every year i fail to scout it and dont want to go in blindly. Big deer on there im sure based on the terrain and QDM. Tough hunt i would assume.

FTP

ive been tempted to pick up some leftover permits there each year but every year i fail to scout it and dont want to go in blindly. Big deer on there im sure based on the terrain and QDM. Tough hunt i would assume.
You are very correct! There are some real bruisers running Cheatham, one of our complaints has been, why scout if the manager breaks up the days of hunting??? You can't pattern the buck or hunt him exclusively if the place is only open here and there. Very frustrating

MickThompson

Has the TWRA and its management realized how big of a failure that this year's Quota hunts have been in its intent to bring more traffic on the WMA and increase harvest numbers?
Why were so many Quotas permits (except for the first muzzleloader) left over after the drawing?
Just to clue in the new guy- this part on tndeer has always been reserved for asking questions about regulations. A few members here work for the agency and have been gracious to answer questions here over the years.

TWRA Commissioners and staff would be more than willing to listen to your suggestions but they don't come on tndeer to find them.

Latest posts