Cheatham and Preist

devo1980

I am trying to get some feedback on Cheatham WMA and Percy Priest WMA (East Fork). I have been scouting Cheatham this year and have not seen much sign, so I am questioning how it is for turkey. Also, I hunted Percy Priest this year for deer and didn't see any turkey or sign. Am I missing them and need to keep scouting or are those two areas not the best for spring turkey. I have only been in TN for a year. Thanks

drrxnupe

devo1980 said:
I am trying to get some feedback on Cheatham WMA and Percy Priest WMA (East Fork). I have been scouting Cheatham this year and have not seen much sign, so I am questioning how it is for turkey. Also, I hunted Percy Priest this year for deer and didn't see any turkey or sign. Am I missing them and need to keep scouting or are those two areas not the best for spring turkey. I have only been in TN for a year. Thanks

Percy Priest has a few. I've hunted all over the WMA and hear gobbles every now and then. Had about 6 or so birds in shooting range 2 years ago and not a single one had a beard. Another problem with Priest is that it is a popular destination for non-hunters in the spring. One year I had some folks on horseback trying to scare my decoys off :mad: . Pissed me off bad.

TNDOC

I have hunted both, and both have good populations. Several years back Cheatham was covered up with turkeys not sure how it is now. Back then you could walk through the woods and kick them over. Both get plenty of pressure so best bet is get off the beaten path. Birds at both places get very call shy after about 2 weeks into season so easier to get them early.

J-WO

KillMode said:
Go to pipeline road area the back side of the game reserve at cheatham.
x2. Always been a good spot to get on birds. Also try turkey road. No many birds near the road,but once you get to the end you can break off into the woods. Alot of birds roost back there (Its thick). Like TNDOC said,if you can see or even hear the main road,your not far enough in.

KillMode

I usaully hunt cheatham the first 2 weeks of season but after that they are pressured hard. Always get there 1 1/2 before sunrise

Latest posts