cell phones

WG Taxidermist

Ok my contract is almost up with at&t and I'm really tired of paying an arm and leg for my wife a me a phone so I'm really thinking of going to straight talk. My question is will I have as good signal with it as I do my phone now and which of the straight talk phones do you think works the best ( other than the $600 iphone! Gotta save a little money for turkey loads! Lol!)?Thanks!

Rob R.

Is that the one through Wal-mart? If it is, its t-Mobile. Thier coverage isnt as good as AT&T's. Stay on the main roads and you'll be fine. Get in the boonies and it wont get a signal.

in the dog house

They have it in verizon service as well. And you can have it drawn from your bank account and its 45 per phone. Unlimited talk, data, and text. It is by far the best deal IMO

Crow Terminator

I am curious about the same thing. For $90 a month for my wife and I...it's unlimited talk, text, and data. Right now we are on US Cellular and only have unlimited talk/text and a 5 gig data plan....and it is quite a bit more per month.

We have some friends with Straight Talk...they love it. Two of them have different phones on the same plan and one of them has great service with their phone...while the other has a cheaper phone and don't get as good of coverage. My current phone is a LG Optimus so I would be right at home.

Can you keep your current numbers if you swap to them though? I would hate to have to change numbers.

WG Taxidermist

Crow Terminator said:
I am curious about the same thing. For $90 a month for my wife and I...it's unlimited talk, text, and data. Right now we are on US Cellular and only have unlimited talk/text and a 5 gig data plan....and it is quite a bit more per month.

We have some friends with Straight Talk...they love it. Two of them have different phones on the same plan and one of them has great service with their phone...while the other has a cheaper phone and don't get as good of coverage. My current phone is a LG Optimus so I would be right at home.

Can you keep your current numbers if you swap to them though? I would hate to have to change numbers.
yeah from what I understand you can keep your same number.

in the dog house

If you have a sim card you can I know ...... not sure about others..... some can be flashed over...... i believe thats what they call it

fourwheeler431

I am in the process of doing the same thing now. The CDMA-v phones all work off of Verizon towers and have much better coverage out in the boonies. The one I am looking at is the Galaxy S and seems to have good reviews. It is not listed on straight talks web site though,you have to get it in store only from what I understand.

WG Taxidermist

Eric Kilby said:
if your current phone has a sim card you can keep it and put a straight talk sim card in it for $14 .. My straight talk smart phone goes on the verizon towers
I thought the only way that would work is that the phone had to be unlocked?

encore06

WG Taxidermist said:
Crow Terminator said:

yeah from what I understand you can keep your same number.
To keep your current number, you have to switch cell phone service before your current service runs out.

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
Pick a straight talk phone you like then you can google it and find out which towers it uses.

My phone uses AT&T towers and I was upset because the last time I had that service it sucked around here.

I did it anyway.

Best service I have ever had with any cell phone ever.
No matter where I go I have signal and most of the times full signal.

Unlimited calls, text, data. $45.00 a month, every month, never changes.

Best thing I ever did.

WG Taxidermist

RUGER said:
Pick a straight talk phone you like then you can google it and find out which towers it uses.

My phone uses AT&T towers and I was upset because the last time I had that service it sucked around here.

I did it anyway.

Best thing I ever did.
The one I've been looking at is the LG Optimus Logic. I've been trying to find out which towers it uses but haven't had any luck.

Crow Terminator

That sounds pretty good. We are still currently hooked up with US Cellular on a joined plan. I am the only one with the Internet capability phone though. We can't get internet at the house but I can use the phone as a WiFi Hotspot and get on it via that way.

If we get on Straight Talk, my wife and I will both have data enabled phones and she can do more stuff on her Kindle Fire too...right now it's a race for my phone when I'm wanting to get on the PC and she's wanting to look at more books to read. LOL

jbird

I am also curious about straight talk. I checked a while back and was told that none of their phones had the hotspot capabilities. Can any one with the service confirm this?

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
WG Taxidermist said:
RUGER said:

I did it anyway.

Best thing I ever did.
The one I've been looking at is the LG Optimus Logic. I've been trying to find out which towers it uses but haven't had any luck.

From everything I have seen it appears it runs off AT&T towers.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Optimus-Logic- ... B009YL1IOS

OH I just looked again and I see that is the same phone I have. LOL
Yes it runs on AT&T towers. :D

waynesworld

I know you need to be careful and check the coverage when I looked at getting off the verison wagon a lot of the prepaid did not have service in the rual area's like the state of SD :)

WG Taxidermist

Buckykm1 said:
WG Taxidermist said:
Ok my contract is almost up with at&t and I'm really tired of paying an arm and leg for my wife a me a phone so I'm really thinking of going to straight talk. My question is will I have as good signal with it as I do my phone now and which of the straight talk phones do you think works the best ( other than the $600 iphone! Gotta save a little money for turkey loads! Lol!)?Thanks!

My oldest daughter has a at&t iphone 4 s. Bought a straight talk sim card, works perfect. Now, my youngest daughter has a ipone 4s through verizon and i have her with page plus. No sim card. It will work with any verizon phone. Nothing else. Bad side of pageplus is only 2gb data but she never goes over.
I have an iphone through at&t but like I said before I didn't think it would work with straight talk without it being unlocked? ( whatever unlocked means)

Bowdacious

I looked into switching but right now we have 5 phones, insurance on 4 and big data plans for 275 a month tax and all. . I wouldn't be saving enough to fool with it.

Latest posts